FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Change 0f seasons ?  (Read 2618 times)

joefishmore

Change 0f seasons ?
« on: Aug 06, 2018, 06:29 AM »
Has anybody noticed the swallows ganging up onn the wires getting ready to head south ?

Turnbuckle

Re: Change 0f seasons ?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 06, 2018, 06:39 AM »
Has anybody noticed the swallows ganging up onn the wires getting ready to head south ?

I can’t see them through the sweat dripping off my forehead. 80 degree water temps here today. Change of season would be welcomed at this point. I’m ready.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

seamonkey84

« Reply #2 on: Aug 06, 2018, 09:02 AM »
I’ve been kookibg forward to fall and the ice season for a few weeks now. It needs to stop going over 80 degrees out.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Aug 06, 2018, 10:04 AM »
Barn, tree, or bank swallows? Here in Indiana my bank swallows around the ponds are still here and flying around the ponds for insects.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

joefishmore

« Reply #4 on: Aug 06, 2018, 10:29 AM »
I don't know what kind they are. One type shows up in the spring on Sebago Lake when the trolling season starts so they are only up here for 4 months.
I don't like this humidity , I have to stay in most of the time, but I surely don't look forward to snow.

taxid

« Reply #5 on: Aug 06, 2018, 05:55 PM »
I don't know what kind they are. One type shows up in the spring on Sebago Lake when the trolling season starts so they are only up here for 4 months.
I don't like this humidity , I have to stay in most of the time, but I surely don't look forward to snow.

Like Mark Twain said, "Everybody complains about the weather but no body does a d**n thing about it."   ;D
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

JDK

« Reply #6 on: Aug 07, 2018, 05:46 AM »
Not swallows but the blackbirds and starlings have been "lining up" here for over a week.
# SAND

Turnbuckle

« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Surface temps on Sebago late afternoon 84.7!!! Above average air temps expected through end of month. Gonna take a long time to cool that baby down, like until January. Crooked river looks so low. Poor salmon.
At the mouth of the river at Sebago in the Spring, it's East to West unless you want a beating from the rest! ;D ;D

JDK

« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2018, 11:05 AM »
I fished Square one evening last week and the surface temps were over 80.  I may be wrong but I don't remember seeing that before. 

MarkNfish and I fished a lake 2 weeks ago and the surface temps then were 81-83.  Can't be good
# SAND

Turnbuckle

« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2018, 12:54 PM »
I fished Square one evening last week and the surface temps were over 80.  I may be wrong but I don't remember seeing that before. 

MarkNfish and I fished a lake 2 weeks ago and the surface temps then were 81-83.  Can't be good

Lots of guys with more experience than I here, but I can’t remember the water ever being this warm on Sebago in the last decade.

Jim C.

• Up the creek...and loving it!
« Reply #10 on: Aug 07, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Trout friendly water is in pretty short supply on foot also.  I had to hike a half hour in and then a half hour up to find mid-60's water yesterday.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: Aug 07, 2018, 02:18 PM »
I noticed my bullrushes are starting to turn yellow and die off on my ponds. That's usually a sign of fall coming regardless of temps.

MarkNFish

« Reply #12 on: Aug 07, 2018, 02:23 PM »
I don't have a remote-sensing thermometer, but I'd be curious about how deep those temperatures penetrate.  Earlier in the season, even with higher surface temps, the downrigger balls felt cold when I pulled them up.  Not so much lately.   :-\

taxid

« Reply #13 on: Aug 07, 2018, 02:35 PM »
I don't have a remote-sensing thermometer, but I'd be curious about how deep those temperatures penetrate.  Earlier in the season, even with higher surface temps, the downrigger balls felt cold when I pulled them up.  Not so much lately.   :-\

Depends partly on the size of the lakes. Larger lakes have deeper thermoclines. I.e. in a 371 acre lake near me the thermocline starts at about 23 feet. The next lake in the chain that is only 100 acres the thermocline starts at about 16 to 18 feet. The next lake that is only about 35 acres the thermocline starts at 12 feet

Lake Michigan over here it's 50 feet or more.

And there are some lakes that don't stratify. I hae 3000 acre lake near me that does not. You'll find fish down to 30 feet and that's about it.

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: Aug 07, 2018, 03:18 PM »
For what its worth the temp on champlain 70 feet down was 44-48 on Sunday! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.