FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: lowrance fishfinder help  (Read 1667 times)

tr1911

lowrance fishfinder help
« on: Sep 10, 2019, 07:28 PM »
I have a new Lowrance hook 2 7x thats on the fritz. It randomly loses bottom says I'm in shallow water and the sonar stops scrolling for minutes at a time. I've checked the transducer, no scrathches kinks or frays in the cable, I've reset it multiple times and sometimes it boots back up and reads fine but after a couple minutes the bottom signal gets weaker and weaker. its been on my boat since July and for the first two months had no issues at all. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong, or had a similar situation? My only thought is maybe its not getting enough voltage, but everything else on the boat is working fine. Any help would be great
Thanks!

fishlessman

Re: lowrance fishfinder help
« Reply #1 on: Sep 11, 2019, 08:35 AM »
the lowrance units will inform you when the voltage is low so its probably not a voltage issue

Hjcrawfish

« Reply #2 on: Sep 11, 2019, 11:46 AM »
Suggest contacting the Lowrance Customer Service hot line. Have heard they are good. Let us know what they say.

Roccus

« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2019, 08:29 AM »
I have a new Lowrance hook 2 7x thats on the fritz. It randomly loses bottom says I'm in shallow water and the sonar stops scrolling for minutes at a time. I've checked the transducer, no scrathches kinks or frays in the cable, I've reset it multiple times and sometimes it boots back up and reads fine but after a couple minutes the bottom signal gets weaker and weaker. its been on my boat since July and for the first two months had no issues at all. Does anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong, or had a similar situation? My only thought is maybe its not getting enough voltage, but everything else on the boat is working fine. Any help would be great
Thanks!

It's seems to be a common complaint/problem with the Hook 2 series, I had ( 2) hook 2 9's that did the same thing, after threading 2 transducer cables through the transom and wire loom, and replacing the units and  returning 2 different units ( I also read lots of on line complaints with people having the same problem) which also was verified by a knowledgeable sale clerk at west marine, I returned the second unit and bought a Garmin 9" touch screen .. it has turned out to be a wise decision. I also have a hook 2 4" screen in an ice fishing pack, that thing isn't any better...I know people that have less expensive and more expensive units, none of those seem to have the problem, it seems to be something with the hook 2.. google hook 2 problems, there will be plenty of reading for a rainy day.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2019, 08:59 AM »
I own a 9" Hook 2 and never had that issue although plenty people have. The issue I get is after a few hours of running, my unit starts to stall and freeze up. I unplug it and plug it back in and it works just fine. Maybe its time for another unit. Any recommendations? I would like at least a 9" screen. 
Wicked Wec

Roccus

« Reply #5 on: Sep 13, 2019, 07:01 AM »
I own a 9" Hook 2 and never had that issue although plenty people have. The issue I get is after a few hours of running, my unit starts to stall and freeze up. I unplug it and plug it back in and it works just fine. Maybe its time for another unit. Any recommendations? I would like at least a 9" screen.

Mine did the screen freeze thing too... not a good thing when you are trying to follow a sandbar in the pitch dark  when a wave can throw you on the beach while you are playing fumble peg with a power cord..the unit was the most frustrating F/F I have ever owned, I will say when it was on, it was good at marking fish, but it had issues right out of the box, which I dealt with assuming it was human error.
I've run Lowrance fishfinders going back to the old flasher units and paper machines in the 70's, this is the first one I can say I was disappointed in..

like I said in my earlier post, I traded mine for a Garmin 94SV ( West Marine took it back for a full refund a year after I bought it), I was leery of the touch screen in an open boat, I was reassured it would not be a problem, and  18 months and a lot of hours latter under every possible condition it hasn't been, what it has been, is the most user friendly enjoyable fish finder/gps combo I have ever owned.. it is absolutely perfect for night fishing, other than the power on button, the only other buttons ( 4) are favorite  buttons, which allow you to (easily) program 4 of your favorite screens, there are even more favorites in the main menu via touch screen, it is both NEEMA 2000 and 0189 compatible, I have it talking to other units in the boat( via a NEEMA back bone system), it is also tied into the Radar and VHF and fuel flow meter, if my engine was a little more modern ( Mine is a 2004) it ( the unit) could be tied in to any sensors or warning systems as well as the tachometer .. go to West marine and play with one on the simulator, you'll be impressed how easy it is to use and operate.. as far as marking its is prenominal, the side scan sees trees, mooring blocks, rocks and ridges very  clearly, I also bought the Pantoptix transducer, it's good , sees fish well but I don't feel that transducer is quite worth the investment, although I'm still learning how to use it...back to the side scan, I actually used it  to find a lost lobster pot of mine  that got cut off by a boat ( not mine) I ran a grid back and forth where I had it marked on my GPS, sure enough I was able to see it on the bottom, and retrieve it with a grapple hook..
It may not be the most sophisticated  unit out there, it's not the cheapest, but it is far from the most expensive, it's a good, user friendly fishfinder/gps combo that comes with Garmins dependable  support staff updates are easily done on line then transferred to the unit, or, you can use the active captain APP to update the unit and transfer information to your home computer or phone, and the 94SV also  has it's own WI Fi network.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #6 on: Sep 13, 2019, 10:31 AM »
Joe - Thank you so much for the additional details and nice job on the lobster pot retrieval. I will mess around with one of these units at my local basspro and see if I like it. Then, I will work on convincing my wife that I absolutely need it. haha
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.