FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anybody have issues with these connectors?  (Read 3341 times)

taxid

Anybody have issues with these connectors?
« on: Sep 26, 2018, 04:12 PM »
I put new LED lights on my boat trailer last year and they worked beautifully. Now having issues with a good connection and I believe it's due to these. I've actually had one of the males tubes break off in the past. Seems this type of connector wears out quickly over time.

I assume there are better connectors out there? Like the ones that look like plug ins that twist and turn? Is it much of an issue changing these out to those? I assume the colors are the same and it's just a matter of splicing the new wires to the old wires of the same color?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Doubles Shooter

Re: Anybody have issues with these connectors?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2018, 04:22 PM »
Knock on wood, I've been trouble free so far. I do rub a bit of grease on the pins once in a while. Good luck.

unfrozen nostrils

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2018, 05:51 PM »
I change the one on the truck every year.  Regardless especially with upstate winters.

taxid

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Problem solved. I had couple of wires come lose from a splice near the back on one side. But I also sprayed the connectors with an electrical contact cleaner.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

taxid

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2018, 07:03 PM »
Thinking of going with Wago nut connectors  that are originally from Europe for wire splices and originally used for military, aerospace, and other industrial applications. They get high ratings on Amazon and can be used for stranded copper wire up to 12 AWG.

Easy to use and very secure. You just insert the wire and push the tab.

Anybody used them? I'm just not impressed with anything else as in the blue twist cap connectors. I had one just fall off in my hand.

filetandrelease

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2018, 07:10 PM »
I did once then I soldered the wires and shrink tubed and wrapped them with electrical tape and grease the pins   , knock on wood so far so good ,

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2018, 07:25 PM »
I did once then I soldered the wires and shrink tubed and wrapped them with electrical tape and grease the pins   , knock on wood so far so good ,

Boom!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2018, 07:27 PM »
Thinking of going with Wago nut connectors  that are originally from Europe for wire splices and originally used for military, aerospace, and other industrial applications. They get high ratings on Amazon and can be used for stranded copper wire up to 12 AWG.

Easy to use and very secure. You just insert the wire and push the tab.

Anybody used them? I'm just not impressed with anything else as in the blue twist cap connectors. I had one just fall off in my hand.

Not rated for exterior use. Made primarily for the lighting industry for making connections in fluorescent fixtures. I've Used tens of thousands of them . Buy direct burial wire nuts loaded with silicone and forget the trouble. Or do as Freddie did..... solder and shrink tube the connections.

Rg

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2018, 07:54 AM »

Boom  X3

taxid

« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2018, 03:57 PM »
Not rated for exterior use. Made primarily for the lighting industry for making connections in fluorescent fixtures. I've Used tens of thousands of them . Buy direct burial wire nuts loaded with silicone and forget the trouble. Or do as Freddie did..... solder and shrink tube the connections.

Rg

Rg

Good to know they are not rated for outside use. Thanks! I guess I'll get the soldering iron out, then use shrink tubing, and tape.  I did use tape before but it came lose for some reason.

SizeMatters

• Shut up and fish!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 01, 2018, 05:11 AM »
x4 Fixed forever....
Bigger isn't always better but Size definitely Matters!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #11 on: Oct 08, 2018, 06:04 PM »
My leds are 10 years old and never fail. All connected with direct burial wire nuts. Couldn't see spending the time to solder all the connections. LEDs will most likely fail before the wire nuts.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

filetandrelease

« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2018, 05:25 AM »

Well that’s good to know so if my soldered wiring  ever fails  I’ll try the nuts , the soldering is now 9 years and still holding 👍🏻

trapper2000

• live the dream...........wear it!!!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2018, 11:02 AM »

yup

you can destroy buildings  you can't  destroy the  american spirit

Roccus

« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2018, 11:27 AM »
The 7 pin trailer plugs that come on most trucks and SUVS are the way to go...you don't need all 7 pins just the ones that pertain to your trailer.color code: yellow left turn...green right turn...brown running lights blue back up or reverse solenoid on a trailer with surge brakrs...white is ground. Coat all connections with 2 coats of liquid tape and any exposed contacts with dielectric grease and you'll never touch them again.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.