FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Shorebound striper anglers...  (Read 6098 times)

gunner1

Shorebound striper anglers...
« on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:31 PM »
What do you use for a rod holder? Last year I started using a piece of rebar hammerred into the ground.  Over it I placed a two foot section of inch and a half pvc. It worked pretty good. The rod was high and visible and it helped keep the line off the water for a ways out to help keep all the flotsom and jetsom off.

STRIPER

Re: Shorebound striper anglers...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2005, 09:52 PM »
When I am catching bait I fish at henry hudson park.There is a chain link fence where I put my pole in while I am waiting.You have a good set up there.Like a sand spike on the ocean.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2005, 08:24 PM »
where I shore fish for stripers, you don't want to put your rod down. It is a rotating cast and reel cycle. Work the current and reel it in and do it again, if not,  >:( what a tangled mess it will turn into.  :P
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

camo_fish

« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2005, 08:26 PM »
I don't even put my rod down when I catfish at night. what a mess to keep up.  :P I've tried and just can handle trying to reel in two rods with fish by yourself.  :D

got em

« Reply #4 on: Mar 11, 2005, 08:11 AM »
 ;) everyone at cornell park uses  rebarb and pvc set up...works well enough..just keep an eye on it..tight lines.. ;)

gunner1

« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2005, 09:35 AM »
;) everyone at cornell park uses  rebarb and pvc set up...works well enough..just keep an eye on it..tight lines.. ;)

So much for thinking I had an original idea. When you say everyone at cornell park, you mean BOTH of you?!? :laugh:

got em

« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2005, 12:49 PM »
 ??? both of me..no..around ten to fifteen guys use this set up  ;)

gunner1

« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2005, 01:33 PM »
??? both of me..no..around ten to fifteen guys use this set up  ;)

LOL! Perhaps I should explain. I went down there last year to check it out but it looked very cramped so I didn't fish there. Wasn't implying any fat jokes. Sorry.

got em

« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2005, 10:42 PM »
:( there going to be redoing the park this year and probably will be at the peak of the season...all roped of ..have to find another place to fish from shore.. ;) ;) ;)..not a problem...maybe henry hudson or down at catskill or some other secret location..he he ..fish on!!!! ;)

ChenBassHead

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Bandito Strikes Again!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2005, 11:48 AM »
So....say I wanted to go and try to catch a striper or two from shore. What would be the MINIMUM I could get away with, as far as a rod goes? Also, what kind of rigs would you suggest using, as far as line, hook size, bait, etc...? Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!  :)

-Zach

Deposit

« Reply #10 on: Mar 21, 2005, 07:17 AM »
I usually use a #4 sized hook, heavy line no less that 20#, I have a heavy 9ft Ugly Cat (ugly stick) rod with a Shakespeare deep sea real with a line counter on it. I usually use this pole from the boat but I guess it could be used from the shore. I also have a 7.5 ft heavy rod with a medium action spinning real, but with the heavy line. I usually use live herring but have herd of others using cut bait, some of them jigged and other on a leader with a sinker. I use a ounce or bigger egg slip sinker with a 5 foot leader from my boat and have seen other anglers use the same technique from shore. Casting is a bit tough but with practice you can get it out there with out flinging the bait off. Hope this helps  :D

camo_fish

« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2005, 07:26 AM »
#4 hook, Deposit.  ???
wow, I use #5/0, do you mean #4/0  :-\
I have a 9' shakespear surf rod with a baitrunner reel with 20# line.
3'-4' leader of #15-#30 leader line, anywhere from no weight to 5/6 biggest split shot.
use live herring or cutbait, 1oz-3oz bucktails, bigmacs
And throw that thing far or near and reel it back and blam-O
Fish On!

Deposit

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2005, 01:03 PM »
ya #4/0 know what I mean not mean what I write LOL  anyhoo BIG hooks

gunner1

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2005, 04:20 PM »
ya #4/0 know what I mean not mean what I write LOL  anyhoo BIG hooks

I personally use 7/0 tp 9/0 circle hooks. Tha larger ones are used solely for the cut bait.

STRIPER

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:29 PM »
I use a 6-0 hook use to use a 5-0 but it kept turning ito the bait.One size did make a difference.I have tryed bigger but i did not like them.For poles I use 7 foot penns with penn reels.Go buy a cheap one at dicks $29.00 or walmart $19.00 get some 20 lb test line pole and a loose drag.You are good to go.Oh I use 2oz. pyrimad sinkers with a fish finder rig.While on shore I put a split shot near the slider so I can cast without the sinker droppin 20 feet out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.