FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Shorebound striper anglers...  (Read 6099 times)

gunner1

Re: Shorebound striper anglers...
« Reply #15 on: Mar 22, 2005, 04:24 AM »
I use a 6-0 hook use to use a 5-0 but it kept turning ito the bait.One size did make a difference.I have tryed bigger but i did not like them.For poles I use 7 foot penns with penn reels.Go buy a cheap one at dicks $29.00 or walmart $19.00 get some 20 lb test line pole and a loose drag.You are good to go.Oh I use 2oz. pyrimad sinkers with a fish finder rig.While on shore I put a split shot near the slider so I can cast without the sinker droppin 20 feet out.

I agree with the 2 oz pyramid and the fish finder rig with the split shot. That's the exact rig I've been using for five years now.

STRIPER

« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2005, 09:59 PM »
Anyone looking for a tournement from shore or a boat.Striper Tour. that Dennis Norhrup puts on, is Sat 5/7 from 6:45 - 12:00 , sign up at the boat launch
that morning $10.00 PP
Henry Hudson Park

lilstriper

« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2005, 05:55 AM »
striper,
          Is that a one day tour. and is there any info on this out on the web.

Also does anyone know if the Castleton boat club is doing their tour this year?

Deposit

« Reply #18 on: Mar 24, 2005, 06:48 AM »
Just read this morning that part of the green island shor will be closed for striper fishing. I think the are closing it near the dam. ???

got em

« Reply #19 on: Mar 24, 2005, 07:04 AM »
 ???wow no fishing at green island?no shad no stripers,what will we doooo!!!I'll be catching them before they make it that far..lol..can you imagine that no fishing at the old fords plant in green island..sucks..

Deposit

« Reply #20 on: Mar 24, 2005, 07:17 AM »
I don't think all of it is closed just a portion. They stated thay would give us a reason later ::)

STRIPER

« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2005, 08:00 AM »
striper,
          Is that a one day tour. and is there any info on this out on the web.

Also does anyone know if the Castleton boat club is doing their tour this year?
Yes that is just on saturday.Just a local. no website
Castleton boat club Is May 14 and 15
1st500 2nd250 3rd 100 4th thru 10 50 bucks
477-8562 for info.

got em

« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2005, 08:31 AM »
 ;) thnkks sb ..very interesting..

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2005, 08:31 PM »
I don't think all of it is closed just a portion. They stated thay would give us a reason later ::)

Yeah here's the link to Fred Lebrun's column.  I have only tried to fish stripers once so I don't know anything about it or even where to fish but it sounds like it sucks for the guys that do.
http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=344747&category=LEBRUNOUT&BCCode=&newsdate=3/24/2005
Wow that really blows  >:( Where the heck am I going to do my fishing at.  >:(
Slipbob, please post the follow-up article to this big pain in the @ss.  >:(
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #24 on: Mar 31, 2005, 11:20 AM »
Thanks Slipbob, I read it this morning with breakfast.
I took a drive by the place and no more "The Wall" fishing, but the rest of the bank is open. Well, the banks are covered with brown water right now.  :-\ But, I guess I'll have to find someone with a boat for the stipers.  ;)
Just from where the congrete L shaped wall is where the new fence is so just from there to the dam is off limits, and there is a big line of orange floaties out in front of the dam to keep the boat from getting to close.
If you've ever been down there for the stripers, not any more unless you want to do it at night, the daytime shad fisherman will over run the striper fisherman.  :P
So go if you wish, it's Albany's salmon river elbow to elbow fishing off the bank.  ;D
Fish On!
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

Bartman44

« Reply #25 on: Mar 31, 2005, 02:53 PM »
The "wall "was a shrine. More access gone. Thank God for public waters (and boats).

What's next?

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #26 on: Mar 31, 2005, 05:23 PM »
The "wall "was a shrine. More access gone. Thank God for public waters (and boats).

What's next?

d**n. i can remember so many evenings,  going down there after school with my dad, getting in the rotation, yadda yadda...no more - used to go right up to the spillway with the boat, too, and take the chance of getting hassled by the man, but that is no more either after 9/11.

just gonna have either go for some other, better eating species, or follow the suggestions of a seasoned striper dude, and try in some  other spots.

onyunn

• Bassin'
« Reply #27 on: Mar 31, 2005, 07:18 PM »
I have never fished for stripers, but am very interested.  I'm in the Rochester area, how far do I have to drive to get some?  Can you please leave particulars.
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.  ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

onyunn

• Bassin'
« Reply #28 on: Mar 31, 2005, 07:20 PM »
by the way, any striper fishing will have to done from shore....no boat.
There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process.  ~Paul O'Neil, 1965

fishmix

• striper mania!!!
« Reply #29 on: Apr 01, 2005, 07:20 AM »
when striper season hits just follow the crowd. its like the salmon river elbow to elbow.  even if you have a boat.... pure chaos!!!!!!  my advice stay away.  every nimrod and their brother comes out to striper fish just to get a chance at landing a big one.. idont mind seeing the regulars out on the river, they are respectfull. its the weekend guys who have absolutely no edict. they come up beside you and want you to just give them bait because they have no idea how to catch it and when you refuse they get mad. hey I work for my bait and dont just give it to anyone. if your a regular and a serious fisherman ok.   going to be very selective when i striper fish this year.. thank god for vacation time and others have to work... ;D
Trollin-Trollin-Trollin.........Get those lakers trollin!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.