FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Butternut Creek  (Read 2360 times)

crazycrawler

Butternut Creek
« on: Mar 30, 2005, 09:11 PM »
I live on Rt. 20 up the hill from Butternut Creek and today (Wed) it is much higher than it was a few days ago so give it a try Friday but you might want a backup if there are any that might be lower.

AD

• Born to fish
Re: Butternut Creek
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2005, 01:15 PM »
???     Not a great day for any of the local streams, buternut and Fabius are both really high.     Spruce is propably still frozen over along with casterline.     
     Had one small fish (pretty sure it was a small brown) up to the shore in butternut but it came off, had a few other taps but with the waters raging and the fish barely even tapping the bait not much was happening with anybody out there today.     I might head back out in a bit to try my luck again, just find a whole and sit there for a while.     .
A bad day of fishing still beats a good day of working
If a man fishes hard, what is he going to do easy?
You can't catch a fish on a dry line
the greatest fishing secret ever? patience.

CNYfish

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2005, 10:52 PM »
I fished the Nine Mile below Camillus in the morning and Limestone north of Fayetteville this afternoon, didn't see one fish caught by anyone for about a total of 5-51/2 hours of fishing.  Not a good day, but it was nice to be out in the nice weather.

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2005, 03:11 PM »
Well Butternut looks like a good white water rapid ride, it even flooded over RT. 20 last night.     Just went for a drive around to see how flooded it is and well its really really flooded.     Never remember seeing it this high before.   Any trout that was in there is probably in the reservoir by now.     :laugh:       One brave soul standing over the church bridge fishing.     
     Fabius Brook looked wicked high too, saw a couple houses flooded out between the two streams.    Doesn't look like they will be fishable for quite some time.    I hope those people in the flooded houses stayed dry and safe though.    I guess it is to be expected when you build your house right next to a stream on the flood plane though. 

scboats81

« Reply #4 on: Apr 04, 2005, 08:36 AM »
AD, Chittenango and Limestone are the same way.  Tried to fish above Chittenango falls Friday, way to much water.  Downstream where I live is over the road by the Thruway.  Gonna be a couple of days before anything good happens.  Hopefully nobody decides to try and launch a canoe or anything.

looking_for_ice

« Reply #5 on: Apr 04, 2005, 12:41 PM »
Hey guys,
    I am somwhat new to the east side of town and was wondering if there are any puplic acess spots (parking) along butternut or above the falls on Chittenango or even limestone for that matter.  I just wouldn't know where to start.   Any help/info would be appreciated.

scboats81

« Reply #6 on: Apr 04, 2005, 01:17 PM »
I know there is a public parking area above the falls on Chittenango if you're headed towards caz it will be on your left after one of the sharp turns, other than that most of us park along the shoulder of the road.  As for limestone I don't think that there are any at all.   They are both unfishable, you have to watch Chittenango though if you don't know it real well, some deep pockets and the water can be deceptively strong.  Hope this helps.

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2005, 01:33 PM »
Hey guys,
    I am somwhat new to the east side of town and was wondering if there are any puplic acess spots (parking) along butternut or above the falls on Chittenango or even limestone for that matter.  I just wouldn't know where to start.   Any help/info would be appreciated.

Apulia road runs sort of along butternut, there are roads off and on that corss it.    There is cascade, and Palmer roads South of RT 20 on apulia, and then there is Colton, dodge (maybe?) walberger, palladino, and maybe a few others off of apulia north of RT 20 that cross butternut.    Most of these have a place to park next to the stream
    Never done really well with the trout in this stream, but get some here and there, but it is the one I grew up fishing so it is more for sentimental reasons I like to go there, and I have learned some good holes over the years.     

looking_for_ice

« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2005, 02:04 PM »
AlaskanDreams,
       Thanks for the great info.  One last question, do I need to worry about what is and is not posted property down that way?  again, I am only familar with the area on a map, never really been.

THANKS!

scboats81
     I thought the same thing about limestone.  I did take a drive from chitt. to the falls on 13 sunday.  I just never made it past there.  I will do another scouting tirp toward the end of this week and have a look around above the falls. 

I am much more familar with the lakes than the small streams and plan to get the boat out after the perch this weekend and give the streams a little more time to calm down.  I live real close to butternut in dewitt and i would guess it will be a while for it to come down.....

Thanks again for the info!

AD

• Born to fish
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2005, 02:55 PM »
I used to fish one stretch of it, got a nice brokie for butternut too, next year it was posted.    Figures  ???      I have never really gone on the parts of the stream that are posted but I have never heard of anyone getting a hard time.  Best bet though is to stay off it if it is posted.     
     A lot of people fish the stream around where the church is, that stretch isnt posted.   There is plenty of spots that are not posted.     
     Besides the sideroads, butternut goes under RT 20 and there is good fishing around there, heard of a 20 + incher coming out from around there.     Also there are a few access spots right off of Apulia.     

flags a flyin

« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2005, 04:32 PM »
dodge road is usually fun.  I fished up there prior to april first but got nothing.  we are going to have to wait till the water drops back down. :-[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.