FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: What is the reason for this?  (Read 2449 times)

eyedoktr

What is the reason for this?
« on: Apr 01, 2005, 08:30 AM »
This morning (April 1st) on my way to work, I saw no less than 10 cars on the side of the road by streams. I just wondered why???

I know the trout season opens today but these are Lake Ontario tribs. Open all year. Don't these people know this??? This goes for Powder Mills Park also. In the days when I fished for trout, I would fish there all winter. A few times a yerar, DEC officers would just check to see if I had a license, but they too were surprised that nobody else ever fished it that time of year.
Pete Lewis

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
Re: What is the reason for this?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2005, 08:39 AM »
It's called tradition.  There is still something magical about the April 1st trout opener that gets people reved up.  I know a lot of people that can and do fish the year round streams, but they still take April 1st off from work if they have to to make sure they are fishing on the opener (even if they are going after steelhead in the tribs).  Wish I was one of them right now  :'(
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

eyedoktr

« Reply #2 on: Apr 01, 2005, 10:10 AM »
Bobman, I understand tradition and am all for it. I went to Springwater Creek on opening morning for many years. I just don't understand why these individuals would choose to fish a tributary that's always open instead of a secluded place like a Finger Lake trib or an isolated creek or pond.
Pete Lewis

adkRoy

• MFF Mod Team
  • I'd rather be at camp.
« Reply #3 on: Apr 01, 2005, 10:23 AM »
Must be nice to have tpday off to go fishing!

Bobman

• Whoa momma!!!
« Reply #4 on: Apr 01, 2005, 10:32 AM »
Bobman, I understand tradition and am all for it. I went to Springwater Creek on opening morning for many years. I just don't understand why these individuals would choose to fish a tributary that's always open instead of a secluded place like a Finger Lake trib or an isolated creek or pond.

I don't know why people choose to fish where they do.  I'm with you, I prefer a small inland stream that gives me a better chance to fish undisturbed and enjoy the surroundings.  I'll be going to a couple of places like that tomorrow that's for sure!
A lot of money is tainted, t'ain't mine and t'ain't yours!

scboats81

« Reply #5 on: Apr 01, 2005, 10:32 AM »
Have to agree with tradition.  I don't think that it's any different than the deer stand people use every year no matter what.  Some even though they know that places are open all year will be otherwise engaged, i.e. icefishing and other activities throughout the winter.  

Polar

« Reply #6 on: Apr 01, 2005, 03:03 PM »
One reason tradition.

adkman

• May you always have tight lines.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2005, 04:26 AM »
Would love to participate in tradition however we still have about 26" of ice on the lakes and the brooks are still frozen over or are 4' high. >:(

archbishop

« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2005, 08:39 AM »
One reason tradition.
exactly tradition a reason to get off the ice and get on a stream a feeling that spring is here and as an ice fisherman even though the dec says there open year round there not open to me till april 1

outdoorsman

« Reply #9 on: Apr 02, 2005, 11:11 AM »
You guys can keep your traditions.  It leaves more space for me on the streams on warm days in late March. ;D
"I just want to get the work over as soon as possible so I can do some fishing. Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except that I still get to kill something."

archbishop

« Reply #10 on: Apr 02, 2005, 11:43 AM »
and thatll leave more room for me on the ice ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.