FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Striper WALL at Green Island...  (Read 1978 times)

Chainsaw

The Striper WALL at Green Island...
« on: Apr 03, 2005, 10:23 AM »
        I caught my first Striper ever off the "Wall" at the Green Island Ford Plant in 1953, on a side of Herring, using a True Temper square steel 5+' rod with a spring lock reel seat and a Pfleuger Knobby casting reel, and I haven't stopped since, as long as I was in the State. I have managed to avoid Fred LeBrun all these years too, by pointing out 'Better than I' fishermen who liked their names in the paper, to help maintain it's 'Secrecy'.
         My largest ever Striper there pulled the big scale to its max at 50+lbs., and I've caught as many as thirty a day over 20lbs., using everything from whole,live Herring, to Eels, Cut Bait, spoons, plugs, jigs, fish parts, and hot dogs.
         A very best friend and Game warden teaching me the ropes there was Benning DeLemater who drowned out there trying to save the lives of two errant fishermen who got too close to the dam. He was the first Service Officer who's funeral I attended as a kid, with far too many more in the ensuing years.
          I saw paint and oil slicks on the river for many years, and when you could see down through 'em,(pre-polarized glasses fer the masses era), there'd be millions of Herring and Shad trying to get up into the turbines. My Mother and Father took me there and taught me many things about the River and it's denizens of the deep. We never ate them because of what we knew of polution back then.
          Fishermen lined up to take their place up against the wall to cast out, then walk their way down the slick incline, and the end of their 'Float', hopefully with a "...Fish On..." call, then on down the bank when possible so's to play in their catch. I have left some several big baits hung from the railings at the catwalk above the turbines when the wind whipped 'em around, as did many other guys. The lost baits and lures up there though were nothing compared to what got lost on the bottom.
          I tried the first ever spinning reel there too. A Lionel half bail, made by, you guessed it, the Lionel Train Company. It worked very well, but the lines available were poor and without 'em the company dropped the line. I had it on the first ever spun fiberglass rod that I borrowed and converted to large guides that we had to make ourselves. I used it to fling out the first ever rubber Eels, and black rubber worms that became so successfull over the years.
         We, as fishermen and women, have been 'Kicked Off' the Wall many times by many authorities before and after Ford Motors made radiators there, and dumped the lead and crud into the River. We had no idea at all that the stuff would be as bad as it is, let alone the PCBs that efectively 'Killed' the River. I have canoed the entire length of the River from Lake Harris, in Newcomb, all the way to Hell's Gate, in an Old Town Canoe we restored as project with the Troop #7 Boy Scouts.
          While on the faculty at SUNY Albany many years later, some of the other guys in Limnology,(Ron Stewart;et al-Papers published via Atmospheric Sciences Research Center'67-'70) did a study of the River flow from the dam at Troy, South, and the results of it's temperature and mixing stats should have scared the hell out of the EPA folks who want to remove the PCBs instead of capping them, and leaving them in place 'till a better technology is in place, like some microbes that eat spilled oil or something like that, that will change it's chemical composition to something 'Safe'.
            No 'Superfund' money for us folks, and G.E. gets a cap on it's costs. Guess who's gonna lose the fishing industry all together and foot the bill when the loose PCBs that get downriver start invading the water intakes of all those communities that take water from the Hudson. They'll have to stop taking in water because legally they won't be able to 'cause of the drift of PCBs to their intakes.
             This River is unique. It is the longest river in the lower 48 contained solely within the borders of N.Y. State. It shares no border with any other State. It starts, and ends, entirely in New York State, and is the spawning ground for Striped Bass North of Chesepeke Bay. It's our River and I have to wonder about some a-hole agency coming in here and telling us what we have to do to RUIN it for the next forty years, then go away and leave us holding the bag for the lawsuits by down stream communities who will not be able to legally take water from it anymore when the dredging starts. AAahh, but I do go on about the weather......sorry, I think. :'( ;D   ...but then consider that every INCH of fishing we lose for ANY reason is just their way of saying "Get used to it, we're gonna close you out eventually anyway...", and losing access to the WALL is just the beginning.

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
Re: The Striper WALL at Green Island...
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2005, 11:22 AM »
The Wall, has and always will be a good fishing place, but now the whole concert section of the Wall is off limits with a chainlink fence with barbed wire on the top. THAT SUCKS  >:( And now some stupid guys are going to cut a hole in it just to access the 20 feet of wall, and that is just going to f-up the rest of the bank for the fishing to all.
Now the striper fisherman are going to try and fish down my the shad fisherman and there are going to be battles within the fisherman over the fish hole. Don't think it is going to be pretty down there this year or years to come. Hopefully the bulk of the people will find other places to fish. But, there is no place like the green island "Wall".  :-\
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

scboats81

« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2005, 02:42 PM »
Chain Saw, great post.  What a history lesson, I know from experience having been stationed at Naval Weapons Station Earle, NJ (right by Sandy Hook and the mouth of the river) that the fishery has come back strong.  I have witnessed 40-50 lb stripers being caught off the pier where we moored the ship.  From my first tour there in 96-99 till when I left just a few months ago the fishing has only gotten better and that that doesn't include just stripers but a whole host of fish that were non-existent for a long time.  To think that they want to dredge the river and re-release all that built up pollution/poision has to make one wonder just what the long term effect on the fish will be.  I personally think that it will go back for years to the way it was back in the days when the fish wouldn't even approach the coastline.

crappieman12887

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2005, 03:52 PM »
 well said chainsaw,know if we all on here and ice shantie would have only stuck together and joined the forces of the protesters that were there to fight the state on the matter the state may have not got there way again,just another way they know they have job security,besides when one trys to act like mother nature stuff always get messed up, [ps water flow down hill so guesse were itll end up,bill

got em

« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2005, 07:09 PM »
>:( s#!t flows downhill..great post cs you the man..screw ge..let it sit ? or dig it up and send it down hill?   ???

Chainsaw

« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2005, 08:33 PM »
        Got em's righ about the downhill part, but it's difficult to lay the entire blame on G.E. They did what the State, and Feds, allowed 'em to do 'cause NOBODY knew what PCBs were, or did. I had a whole laboratory full of X-Ray transformers from Military Surplus leaking PCBs all over the place. On the other hand, if'n all this stuff will kill kith and kin quicker'en a silver bullet howdefugcome am I still kickin', and talkin'with my parents?
         I took my reachin' fer ninty year old Mother to a bar today in Coeymans Hollow, near the Alcove Resevoir for a dinner with the North East Stock Car Old Timers. It's on Rt. 143, and the creek where I caught my first trout ever, the Hannacroix, runs behind the bar, then down into Ravena, Coeymans, and into the Hudson. She said that according to the tree huggers she and the rest of my family shoulda been titzup a generation ago let alone lived this long, 'cause of all the polution, and Rock n' Roll, we've had to ingest all our lives.
          What I'm getting around to here is that the voice of the Hudson, and all the waters of the Earth, is US, and though it's an upstream fight all the way we cannot afford to lose one inch of shoreline. I'm gettin' down off my soapbox, take a deep breath of.................airstuffanwuteverelseizinnit, and your patience is appreciated. ;D   

got em

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2005, 09:20 PM »
 ;) hey cs..the hannacroix rules..the bar..rk's winner circle..I dont blame ge but... ???

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.