FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Smoke It If You've Got It!  (Read 146693 times)

ActiveTrapChecker

Re: Smoke It If You've Got It!
« Reply #60 on: Aug 07, 2018, 02:22 PM »
I have been planning this since the first day it reached 90 degrees. lol

My daughter had to borrow my hard water bait aerator, the one i use in the garage, to keep some county fair gold fish going. Got my juices going, and i told her that she can use them on her pink tip up when we go slime darting in January if they are still alive...

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #61 on: Aug 08, 2018, 06:10 AM »
Do you smoke the turkey breast skin on or off? All I'm seeing at the grocery are skinless. I'm sure I could seal it up with a glaze.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Mac Attack

« Reply #62 on: Aug 08, 2018, 06:21 AM »
Do you smoke the turkey breast skin on or off? All I'm seeing at the grocery are skinless. I'm sure I could seal it up with a glaze.

Rg

I have done both Bob.
When the skin stays on however, I peel it back and rub it with my spices under it and then fold it back.
I like the skin, but Donna doesn't.
But the skin on a turkey is oftentimes so thick it's like chewing rubber.
So OI may only eat a small piece of it.
But I want the spices into the meat, so I fold it back and rub under it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #63 on: Aug 08, 2018, 01:20 PM »
I'm interested in the salmon recipes as well. Supposedly, a coworker is bringing me some caught fresh. If not I may buy a few chunks and smoke it.

Any tips on Brine, time, temps?

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

Rugburn

• Camp Dog
« Reply #64 on: Aug 08, 2018, 01:26 PM »
Our old favorite was "Indian candy-smoked salmon". I'll have to take a look for it. Basically cut into small pieces then sweet brined and a slow apple wood smoke. Came out with a shiny glaze.

appleye

« Reply #65 on: Aug 08, 2018, 02:01 PM »
I'm interested in the salmon recipes as well. Supposedly, a coworker is bringing me some caught fresh. If not I may buy a few chunks and smoke it.

Any tips on Brine, time, temps?

Rg

I do a bunch (as many as I can legally catch) of salmon every year, Kings, coho and Kokanee. Most of the time Kokanee because it's the closest. Filet and or chunks (Kings) I leave skin on. I use a large bowl and put a thin layer of kosher salt or pickling salt, fish then salt again then we use sugar cane syrup made by family in Florida. I've used maple syrup and or brown sugar and put a coating on the fish. Next layer of fish flesh to flesh, salt and syrup on the skin and keep layering until everything is coated. Let refrigerate or cool air "brine" for at least 12 hours. Salt and syrup will become a liquid and the flesh will change color to a deeper red. Pull fish off let liquid run off and place on smoker rack. Let stand for one hour to air dry, will make a sweet coating over fish. I smoke for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at about 200 to 225 until it's done (lighter pink). My wife calls this salmon candy. It's best warm but great whenever. We have added other seasoning while air drying, cyan, old bay etc. But the syrup and salt is the best.

I've used this recipe for all trout and it's very good. I use pecan wood for smoke again family in Florida but apple and poplar are good to.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #66 on: Aug 08, 2018, 05:52 PM »
Now, there's a complete recipe.....thanks!

I've only done Gravalox I the past. A cold cure process, and really look forward to some smoked salmon.

Rg

fishinjohn

« Reply #67 on: Aug 09, 2018, 09:53 AM »
I do a bunch (as many as I can legally catch) of salmon every year, Kings, coho and Kokanee. Most of the time Kokanee because it's the closest. Filet and or chunks (Kings) I leave skin on. I use a large bowl and put a thin layer of kosher salt or pickling salt, fish then salt again then we use sugar cane syrup made by family in Florida. I've used maple syrup and or brown sugar and put a coating on the fish. Next layer of fish flesh to flesh, salt and syrup on the skin and keep layering until everything is coated. Let refrigerate or cool air "brine" for at least 12 hours. Salt and syrup will become a liquid and the flesh will change color to a deeper red. Pull fish off let liquid run off and place on smoker rack. Let stand for one hour to air dry, will make a sweet coating over fish. I smoke for 1 1/2 to 2 hours at about 200 to 225 until it's done (lighter pink). My wife calls this salmon candy. It's best warm but great whenever. We have added other seasoning while air drying, cyan, old bay etc. But the syrup and salt is the best.

I've used this recipe for all trout and it's very good. I use pecan wood for smoke again family in Florida but apple and poplar are good to.
My smoker temps and times are close to the same.. my recipe is different..
I use 1 part apple juice to 2 parts orange juice (ex 1qt to 2qts)  1/2 cup of  canning salt.. lots of pepper.. a couple bay leafs..
Let soak for 24 hrs..
Let dry and then smoke

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #68 on: Aug 11, 2018, 01:55 PM »
Well there's two turkey rolls in the brine. One is all breast meat one a mix of white and dark meat. I couldn't find any whole turkey breasts to buy. Could have bought a small (8-10lb) butterball, but it would have been a few days before I could use it.

Anyway, since the rolls are in netting, I decided I'd brine them as is and when I cook them, they're gonna get a woven bacon wrap.

I've  prepped two of these, rolled them up, wrapped and put them in the fridge for tomorrow.

My plan is to brine the rolls most of today, remove them and put them back in the fridge overnight to dry a bit. Then I'll remove the netting, give them a good rub, wrap them in the bacon, and tie them up with butchers twine.
I don't like letting poultry sitting around warming up past 45 degrees so they'll go right into the smoker after I inject them with a mix of butter, lemon, water, garlic and onion powder.

I've never done this before, but, I think 225 for a few hours ought to do the trick. They're not too big. I'll take em to 160 or so in the smoker and let them finish to 165-175 on their own..

The brine is water, a little cider vinegar, honey, maple syrup, sugar, kosher salt, garlic, onion, pepper corns, worchestershire sauce, soy sauce and lemon juice ( all in small amounts....more or less).

Time will tell👍

Rg

appleye

« Reply #69 on: Aug 11, 2018, 03:21 PM »
Looks good! I'm going to have to try the bacon weave. Wife loves bacon.

Hoping to chase some salmon this week in Fort Peck, MT. All this smoking talk has me in the mood!

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #70 on: Aug 11, 2018, 03:31 PM »
I'm trying your cure recipe for salmon on some Swai fillets I have. I added some brown sugar and maple syrup in lieu of cane syrup ( which I couldn't find). Anyway, it's worth a shot.

Rg

fishnmachine

• Life Member NAFC
« Reply #71 on: Aug 11, 2018, 06:40 PM »
The turkey is going to be delicious, Bob.  :thumbup_smilie:

No smoking for me this weekend unless something changes tomorrow.  ;)
     One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.
The brook trout is the prom queen of the trout world, and a promiscuous prom queen at that!

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #72 on: Aug 11, 2018, 08:11 PM »
tomorrow morning, 5lb brisket, baby back ribs, bacon and venison top round going into the smoker.
Wicked Wec

appleye

« Reply #73 on: Aug 11, 2018, 08:22 PM »
The cane syrup I've seen was on line. In the south it's a family tradition kind of thing. I went down last year and help make it. The syrup is kind of like molasses in taste but much thinner. The maple and brown sugar will be good, as it is the way I made if before I had the cane syrup around.

This is from a google search=  https://prices.best/products/petite-canne-sugar-cane-syrup?cid=335108336&aid=1211661963927924&eid=&tid=pla-4579328491792665&ul=&mt=e&n=o&d=c&dm={devicemodel}&dt&sn&adid={creative}&k=&p={placement}&pc={target}&ap={adposition}&msclkid=f33ef9e5726412f772e2a28afe5ed668&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Prices%20Best%20Shop&utm_term=4579328491792665&utm_content=Ad%20group%20%231

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #74 on: Aug 11, 2018, 08:49 PM »
Big smoker👍

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.