MFF US Northeast > New York

replacing spinning rod handle

<< < (2/3) > >>

outdoorsman:

--- Quote from: Reel Force on Nov 27, 2010, 01:46 PM ---Look @ mudhole.com ...

--- End quote ---

I agree.  Lots of rod building stuff there.

kchamp:
I just toke the tape of the end of the rod to see what it looked like and the person that had it before me, cut through the rod blank when they cut the end of the rod off, cut at least  6 inches off, is this still fixable or is it a waste of time, not sure if the rod blank runs all the way down the handle never had to work on one before, I can use it like that or got a new one they are on sale right now for 35.00. I just like the extra handle

outdoorsman:
The blank should run through the entire handle.  One option would be to get a shorter replacement handle...another would be to move the handle to a more forward position on the rod (this would change the distance between the reel and the first guide, along with changing the action of the rod, but it is still an option).  Considering something a "waste of time" is more opinion than anything...sometimes re-doing an entire rod is part of the challenge, and you would learn how to build a rod.

jj7leaf:
Can you post a picture of the handle?

If this is just a shortened rear cork section and there is a nothing wrong with the handle itself, you could just add a butt cap and leave as is.

but if they cut lengthwise along the blank and got into the blank material you may be in for problems at the handle.

What do you plan on using it for?  Is it a panfish rod or are you going after salmon/carp?

jj

esox v:
If the Cut is anywhere behind the reel seat you can easily extended it by finding an old Junk rod that has a similar taper. cut back the junk rod so that it snugly fits inside the end of the blank of the rod your fixing so that it will extend approximately 4" inside the good blank.. roughen up the plug... coat with 5 minute epoxy and insert into the but end of the rod. I've done this many times to extend a rod blank 6 inches. don't let the plug extend past the foregrip.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version