FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pike Stocking 2017  (Read 4662 times)

PikeKing23

Pike Stocking 2017
« on: Apr 11, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Here is the excerpt from the CT DEEP Website for the number of pike stocked in CT for all of 2017:

Northern Pike Fingerlings
Bantam Lake Litchfield, Morris 1,202
Connecticut River Lower River 39
Mansfield Hollow Reservoir Mansfield 61
Winchester Lake Winchester 1,172
Total Northern Pike Fingerlings 2,474

For those of us that enjoy pike fishing, it is time to be concerned.  It looks like we will be relying solely on natural reproduction to keep these fish in our waters.  PLEASE be extra diligent in caring for your catches during the catch and release process.

For those of you that consider pike a trash or nuisance fish, please reconsider carelessly disposing of these resources.  I know there are plenty of fisherman out there that despise these fish for various reasons.  I just ask that everybody have some empathy for other anglers and release any by catch to swim another day.

For those of you that pike fish for consumption, please consider letting the big girls go to keep the population in tact.  Eat them if you like.  it is your prerogative, if you have caught them legally.  Due to the slow growth rate and years it takes to reach the reproductive age, these apex predators have a hard time overcoming human cultivation. 

I just wanted to make everybody aware of the situation that we are now facing. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Pike Stocking 2017
« Reply #1 on: Apr 11, 2018, 03:37 PM »
PikeKing,

What do you consider a "big girl"? The average life of a pike is only 7 years and I know here in RI they have to be 28" to keep. I do not keep pike and I only fish for them a handful of times a year but I am wondering what you would consider an "eater" pike. Gap seems pretty small from legal keeper to a big girl for a species like a pike.
Wicked Wec

PikeKing23

« Reply #2 on: Apr 15, 2018, 01:59 PM »
I consider anything over 36" to be a "big girl". They live much longer than 7 years and usually are around 10yrs old when they reach that size. Just want to point out that the big ones produce many many more eggs than a juvenile that has just reached sexual maturity.

lowaccord66

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2018, 01:40 PM »
I consider anything over 36" to be a "big girl". They live much longer than 7 years and usually are around 10yrs old when they reach that size. Just want to point out that the big ones produce many many more eggs than a juvenile that has just reached sexual maturity.

Not in CT.  To quote the states pike biologist "CT pike grow fast and die young" he mentions that being at the southern end of their range, they do not survive as long down here as they do up north.

You should have a chat with him and catch up on your CT pike facts. 

He will pretty much tell you the stocking program is needed to keep them around in CT.

https://youtu.be/h8NqZI-tv48

https://youtu.be/0Td1BOWixOw

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2018, 02:00 PM »
Not in CT.  To quote the states pike biologist "CT pike grow fast and die young" he mentions that being at the southern end of their range, they do not survive as long down here as they do up north.

You should have a chat with him and catch up on your CT pike facts. 

He will pretty much tell you the stocking program is needed to keep them around in CT.

https://youtu.be/h8NqZI-tv48

https://youtu.be/0Td1BOWixOw

X2 for Rhode Island Pike.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Apr 16, 2018, 02:37 PM »
Don't get me wrong I love fish and like to do my best to keep the sport sustainable and spend significant time in CT chasing pike.  However, no need to sound the alarm on a fishery that exists because of the CT's efforts. 

PikeKing23

« Reply #6 on: Apr 23, 2018, 01:17 PM »
d**n lowaccord!  Right as usual, lol.  I got in touch with the CTDEEP pike biologist and I stand corrected.  I was not aware of the fast paced growth rate of local pike.  However, the point I am making is that the state is stocking fewer pike and a 36" (12lbs) pike will produce almost twice as many eggs as a 28" (6lbs) pike (11,000 eggs per pound).  Let's keep them around and let the "big girls" spawn. 

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #7 on: Apr 23, 2018, 03:00 PM »
LMAO - that was funny PikeKing.

I feel lesson 2 coming, survival rate.

Also for thought- If you let all of the big girls go (36") and agree that it is better for pike eaters to keep the smaller (28") fish, eventually you kill off the entire population except for the fish under 28" which will just be kept when they reach 28". Big girl dies in 2-3 years and nothing to replace her....

Again, I do not eat pike nor do i fish for them much but i think a mixed bag for people that do works best to keep each year with different aged pike. I do agree that a larger fish produces more eggs but a smaller fish will produce just as many eggs when said size is reached.

Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Apr 25, 2018, 12:32 PM »
d**n lowaccord!  Right as usual, lol.  I got in touch with the CTDEEP pike biologist and I stand corrected.  I was not aware of the fast paced growth rate of local pike.  However, the point I am making is that the state is stocking fewer pike and a 36" (12lbs) pike will produce almost twice as many eggs as a 28" (6lbs) pike (11,000 eggs per pound).  Let's keep them around and let the "big girls" spawn.

LMAO...I dont get paid to be right but figured it was worth correcting.  Some people may eat pike.  I haven't.  I don't think anyone in CT should feel bad about keeping one if they choose. 

That said I'm with you about doing what we can to keep the fishery viable.  There are also options for us that are stocked by a water authority rather than the state.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.