FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: The Little Wood Shop 2019  (Read 152694 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
Re: The Little Wood Shop 2019
« Reply #765 on: Nov 01, 2020, 08:32 AM »
Well, they looked good but they didn’t work. So I ordered a box of 1/8” Baltic birch plywood and drew up a new design. The next prototype will have 12 blades and should do the job.

I hope.

It’s turning into a fun little project.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #766 on: Nov 03, 2020, 06:38 AM »
Finally have a working prototype.

Fussed with the shaft design most of yesterday. The original wooden shaft I made just didn’t turn straight and wouldn’t turn continually. As my Son and I were pondering the problem I discovered a piece of 3’8” aluminum rod I had stored in the rafters ( I make use of all my limited space).

I put it in the collet I have for my wood lathe, squared up the end with a carbide turning tool and drilled it for a pin. Took a 1/8” drill bit and turned a point on it using my battery drill and my CBN sharpening wheel. Put it together this morning and it turned non stop for almost an hour starting with 4 tea candles and ending with just 2.

Now we can go about designing the final pyramid. My Son spent his time cutting out a little nativity scene on the scroll saw for the one he’s building. He’s hardly used that machine and cut out some beautifully intricate little figures and animals.  I love it when he comes over to play in the shop with me. He’s an extremely talented artist and knowing where my shop is going when I leave this earth is gratifying.

Rg
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

iceman260

« Reply #767 on: Nov 03, 2020, 06:48 AM »
Looks like a fun project, having your son around to work with is priceless.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #768 on: Nov 07, 2020, 05:37 AM »
I’ve been slowly making parts and finalizing the actual design of the carousels. My son has been working on parts for a little nativity scene. Turned some maple for the fan hubs yesterday.

It’s hard to bury myself in the basement when we’re having this beautiful fall weather..

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #769 on: Nov 07, 2020, 01:17 PM »
Got the support figured out today.

A little shorter than I had anticipated, but it used the cut off from the birch plywood round I bought to do these. No waste is a good thing.

Progress anyway.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #770 on: Nov 08, 2020, 03:53 PM »
Got a request for yet another animal urn. My Daughter’s German Shorthair rescue was put down yesterday. Jack was a good old boy. Obviously abused and somewhat neurotic. But my Grandson”s buddy. A bittersweet project.

I’ll get to it in the coming weeks. Don’t now what I’m going to do just yet. Something will come to mind.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #771 on: Nov 13, 2020, 06:42 AM »
The carousels are complete short of another coat of finish and some turned pieces to hold the candles. Had to rethink the bottom bearing. The manufactured ones use a glass cup. I could have bought them but they wanted$15 each with almost as much for shipping. So I went to Goodwill and picked up 4 small wine glasses. I cut the bottoms off and set them in a round wood turning. Bottom side up they’re cupped so the shaft finds its own center with zero friction

They turn flawlessly. They’ll turn with only 1 candle but, I like the look of four.

Started making some little Santa figures yesterday for part of the decorations on the platforms. Cant take credit for the design....something I saw online thatI liked the look of.

I have ideas for reindeer, Christmas trees, a Santa sleigh, little snowmen and little wooden blocks decorated as gifts.

Just hope my Bride doesn't get nosey and peek. She’s usually pretty good about that but she keeps asking me what I’m doing and I keep telling her “cant tell you!”

Rg

iceman260

« Reply #772 on: Nov 13, 2020, 07:00 AM »
Rg your project is coming along nicely, should be interesting to see the finished project. Keep the pics coming.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #773 on: Nov 13, 2020, 04:19 PM »
I’m off the next 10 days. Vacation from my silly part time job. Plans to finish up a lot of the two carousels and fill an order for a box full of bird house ornaments.

After the Christmas season is fulfilled, I’m on my own. Lord knows what I’ll get involved in. The dead of winter is time to let the spirit fly in the Little Wood Shop.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #774 on: Nov 14, 2020, 02:49 PM »
Spent a better part of the day working on the “project”. Made some really good progress. I’ll post some pice in the morning after some finishing touches.

What a fun day in the “Little Wood Shop”.

I get as lost there as I ever have while fishing. Everything fades away. Serious medicine for today’s circumstances.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #775 on: Nov 15, 2020, 07:26 AM »
Finished the Santa’s and reindeer this morning. Tried to post pics but Postimages is down.

I’ll try again later.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #776 on: Nov 15, 2020, 02:42 PM »
Back in business I guess.

Fun stuff. Lots more to add to these two carousels.

Rg

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #777 on: Nov 23, 2020, 06:35 AM »
Have all the decorations for the two carousels finished. Put a coat of poly on the structures today. Once they’re  dry I can start assembling them both. I might paint the platforms white. Haven’t quite decided as yet. My son is carving all the pieces for a nativity scene on the one he’s doing.
Here’s all my stuff. Might make a couple more sleighs for the walking Santa’s to have Rudolf pulling them full of packages. The little snowmen need pipes too.

Heres one he’s working on.

What a fun little project,.

Rg

iceman260

« Reply #778 on: Nov 24, 2020, 08:17 AM »
Nice work Rg and son post video of it working when finished.

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #779 on: Nov 24, 2020, 12:04 PM »
Here’s pics. Ill get to a video later.

Rg

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.