FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How about a "BubbleHeaded" forum?  (Read 10943 times)

acsacmboy

Re: How about a "BubbleHeaded" forum?
« Reply #30 on: Mar 13, 2004, 12:01 PM »
about 3 years ago before our vacation, i was getting the minnow bucket ready. washing it out, you know the drill. so i was trying tho put the lid on and SLICE!. took off the top of my left middle finger. ;D. only 3 stiches later i was fishing. and of course, i hook into a very large pike and it breaks open the skin. :D. that was fun. still got him. 32 inches(large for my time) and pretty thick.
Randy Mason
FLCC 09' Fisheries Technology major

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #31 on: Mar 13, 2004, 02:56 PM »
I was telling my friend Dave at the shop about the "bubbleheads" and he reminded me of one .

I slipped onto a pond near my home for a few casts one early summer day. Took a baitcaster and a Rattletrap  to see how the pike were hitting.

Made a couple of casts and caught a nice 4 lb'er.  After landing him I realized I had no pliars and he had swallowed my lure deep.

Holding the fish, I broke off a small forked sitck and started to free the lure from the toothy critter. As I worked on the lure he trashed and implanted the trebel deep in my thumb along my thumbnail...well past the barb.

Now I had the fish in one hand trying to control him and my impaled thumb attached to the lure still firmly anchored in the pike's mouth. I bit the line off, put the pike under my foot , grabbed a branch and dispatched him.

After freeing the lure from the victim, still buried in my thumb, I went to the gun shop. Walking in, Dave asked " How You Doing". I held out my thumb with the rattle trap hanging and asked if I could borrow a pair of pliars. He groaned a bit and helped out.

I froze the thumb with ice, pushed the hook through and cut it off. ( the hook that is)

We both ended up a bit pale and I don't forget my pliars any more.

Lesson Learned.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #32 on: Mar 14, 2004, 04:05 PM »
Last year ( I think it was April) my buddy and I were bound and determined to go fishing because he hadn't been fishing in a couple of months and his old lady was driving us crazy.

So we got his 16' all ready and launched out from southern Port Bay, NY. He failed to tell me the 40 horse had a weak coil. It was kind of windy at that time but not too windy. We unloaded the boat and he took it out by himself to make sure that it was running ok.

The water was so shallow he ran up into a mud shallow. After 20 minutes of revving the motor back and forth he had to jump in the water up to his waste and pull the boat off the shallow. When he got back he still wanted to go even though he was soaked, so we packed up and went out. I should've known something was up because it started real hard. So we almost get to were we are going on the east side and get hung in another mud shallow. Once again he tried revving the motor back and forth with no luck. By this time the wind was really starting to whip and there were a few white caps starting to develope. So he jumps back in the water and I grabbed an oar and we got ourselves out of that one. He tries to get back in the boat and falls in completely while trying. Then the motor wouldn't start and he killed the battery trying. Meanwhile the wind is blowing us at about 15 mph towads the ice that still hasn't melted about half way down the bay. After pulling one of the plugs out I found it was getting no spark. That's when he told me about the coil starting to break down last year and he had forgotten all about it. OH MY GOD MAN. I could have belted his dumb a$$. But the good news was he had the new one on board that he was going to replace it with and a tool box. By this time we have been pushed onto the ice by the wind and I was starting to take the motor apart over it. Of course we have no phone or radio. My buddy is now blue from being so cold and curled up in the bow covered up with life jackets. Being extremely carefull not to drop any parts it takes me about an hour to change the coil. Well the coil worked and we were getting spark now. So I try to start it and remebered the battery was dead. I went to pull it over and guess what? The freiken rope breaks. AHHHHHHHHHHH. GOD HATES ME. So I cut a piece of anchor rope and continue to take the motor apart AGAIN. By this time I was really concerned about my buddy because he wasn't saying much and when he did say something it didn't make any sense. It took another hour to put new rope in the recoil and is now almost dark. By now the wind was blowing so bad it was blowing spray into the boat and the waves had pushed us about 10 feet onto the ice. Finally got it all back together again and after about 5 pulls, she fires up. THANK GOD. So I get my buddy up and he didn't look good at all. We pushed ourselves off the ice with oars, dropped the motor, and hauled a$$. We got back to the launch and my buddy jumped in the jeep and cranked the heat. I got the boat all loaded up and secured, went to plug in the light and popped a freiken fuse. Not wanting to take any chances getting pulled over with my already great luck I put a jumper wire in the fuse box. My buddy's old lady was still crabby when we got back and didn't care that we had had a terrible day and could have died. He came down with pnuemonia and she was Pi$$ed at me for weeks saying it was my fault. OH WELL.

That is to this date my most terrible boating/fishing experiance. We laugh about it jokingly now, but then it was scary. I guess you could say that we have deffinately learned the hard way. Oh yeah, found out afterwards he burnt his water pump up from sucking up all of the mud from the shallows. :P

What a day!!
Harold

billditrite

• Retired MFF Mod
  • R.I.P. brother Micheal Danis 10/10/54 - 4/3/09
« Reply #33 on: Mar 14, 2004, 05:32 PM »
wow what an ordeal !!your friend is lucky he didnt develop hypothermia in that cold being so wet he was lucky to have you on board...it would seem as though GOD must love you both ;)
Scotty 

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #34 on: Mar 14, 2004, 06:52 PM »
this isnt that bubbleheaded but it happens to me a lot when I ice fish.
I set the hook so hard that i fall over backwards into the snow. Kind of cold.

Also, one time, I drilled a ton of holes on the lake, well it was a windy day. After a great day of laker fishing, I was walking back, and wasn't thinking. I was looking at my feet. Well, I crashed into about 10 of my old holes going back to shore. The wind probably blew the snow and ice chuncks left from drilling my hole over the hole. Now, I shovel the holes

firstice_rules

• got to get them fishies
« Reply #35 on: Mar 14, 2004, 08:16 PM »
there are some good stories here and now its time to tell mine. went out fishing one day and everything was fine untile we were going into the marina. we ran out of gas! so a friendly fellow asked us if we needed a tow and since we were stuck said sure. so instead of tieing the rope to our boat my buddy decided to hang on to it. bad idea!. the guy towing use started to go in and al of a sudden moco man holding onto the rope went head over heels into the water. we did get the boat in. it was funny to see.
notin better than a perch on the end of my line!

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #36 on: Mar 14, 2004, 09:15 PM »
builditrite:

No doubt.  :)
Harold

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #37 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:03 AM »
RG,

All I can say about the thumb is OUCH !!!

Reminded me of when my brother and I were teenagers. He got a new pointed blade Exacto knife for his model car building and I got some fishing gear. Young kids with new toys have to try them out right away or carry them along wherever they go. Well we did both.

We went casting and retrieving in a little open bay off of a creek near our home. The brush was thick in places, so we were a little to close to each other. With one cast the younger brother smacked me right in the forehead with his rod tip. As I rattled of an impressive series of “expletive deleted” and before I had even used up all of the words I had in mind for him, I noticed something. His red and white Rapala spoon was hanging just over my right eye. With one hook buried in my forehead, the line had broken off after his rod hooked this big sucker on the back-cast.

Couldn’t imagine how mom would handle me coming home looking like that, so we proceeded to take carte of it ourselves. Did everything wrong. Started a fire to sterilize the Exacto blade, then dipped it in the water before surgery. I tried to cut it out at first and finally made the kid do it, as he could at least see what he was doing. Fortunately, I do not think it was terribly deep, as I do not recall a lot of blood, but the hook barb was buried.

Think we took a few more casts after extracting the lure before heading home. Should have given mom more credit, she seemed to take it all in stride. The brother went on to become a Computer Engineer, guess the sight of blood still makes him feel faint.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #38 on: Mar 15, 2004, 10:05 AM »
We're the only ones willing to admit it anyways.

I always figure I may as well laugh at myself right along with everyone else. ;D

RG

They say "Laughter is the Best Medicine"  ;) 

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.