FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: River bank fishing  (Read 2566 times)

Doubles Shooter

River bank fishing
« on: Apr 20, 2020, 07:08 AM »
We tried to go out in the boat yesterday, but the wind was up enough to be annoying. So we did something I haven't done in over 20 years. The wife and I grabbed the worms, some snacks, and a couple chairs and headed to the river. Relaxing and refreshing.
We had a ball just hanging out catching suckers and enjoying some free time before watching the grandkids this week.

PS, To all the parents and grandparents who are home schooling during this shut down, you have my sympathy.

lowaccord66

Re: River bank fishing
« Reply #1 on: Apr 21, 2020, 07:01 AM »
Sounds like a good excursion!

filetandrelease

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21, 2020, 07:10 AM »
 Glad you enjoyed yourselves , when my gramps was unable to walk the streams anymore he and his old fishing pal use to go to the local res and  sometimes they would take me along
 Fond memories

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #3 on: Apr 21, 2020, 08:12 AM »
Nothing like just setting on the bank watching the bobber. Did a lot of pike fishing in Churchville Park back in the day...h2l

oatkasut

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21, 2020, 01:57 PM »
Did alot of that for the first 20 years of life and loved every minute of it, trout, sunnies, suckers, carp, dace, bass with bread or corn meal and worms . After age 21 added wine!

rivereddy

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21, 2020, 02:29 PM »
A pole, a small tackle bag over my shoulder and a pair of 16" boots and I'm good to go...
Questions that all go away:

got gas?
stickers current?
battery charged?
nav lights working?
electronics working?
ramp closed?
#(*&^%% taillights working?

The older I get the more prone I am to an afternoon of "creek sneaking." And, just for for the record,
I own more watercraft than motor vehicles

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #6 on: Apr 21, 2020, 02:48 PM »
Nothing like just setting on the bank watching the bobber. Did a lot of pike fishing in Churchville Park back in the day...h2l

I do miss that. Don't have access to our spots any more. It was fun before opening day hitting the streams with the ultralight rods catching creek chubs for bait. We would set up the day before and stuff ourselves with last fall's venison and bunnies. We would sometimes catch a couple bonus catfish while we waited for midnight to set the pike/walleye rigs. Catch a nap if you wanted to. Had a tarp to sit under if it rained. Usually made a weekend of it.

gotagetm

« Reply #7 on: Apr 21, 2020, 03:54 PM »
we used to ride our bikes and camp on oatka creek on fridays in leroy (red bridge) ate what we caught and was best time ever!!! my mom would give us pork'n'beans to take to and we would use the empty cans to boil crawfish that also we,d catch under rocks!!so great

old man river

« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2020, 04:05 PM »
YES I can relate to that
listening to the peepers,coleman lantern humming at nite and the B.S.
having a few beers IT GETS NO BETTER ! ::)
ralph

lowaccord66

« Reply #9 on: Apr 21, 2020, 08:10 PM »
I don't think I'd ever stop fishing rivers regardless of how many boats I own.  There's something simple about it, wading in the water is something I enjoy, a lot.  Reminds me of being a kid!

meandcuznalfy

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21, 2020, 08:11 PM »
Yep, sit and drown a worm and catch bucket loads of perch. Love it once in awhile.

charlys1954

« Reply #11 on: Apr 22, 2020, 01:20 PM »
Setting on the shoreline laidback waiting for my rod tips to bounce, its great.

And I don't have the hassle of loading up my boat, I just pick up my chair, bucket, poles and leave.
I'm a "Born in Ind" Redneck and proud of it

stripernut

« Reply #12 on: Apr 26, 2020, 06:48 AM »
I own a boat but often fish the bank still. Sometimes it is to get access to places that don't allow boats or boats at night. That said, I have never been one to "park" myself down to fish one spot, I am always moving to work the shoreline. A couple of days ago this technique produced 2 trophy smallies and a nice Laker in 5 casts, if I had been parked in a spot it would have been unlikely that I would have done so well. This is one of the best things about fishing, there are all these great and different ways to fish!

rivereddy

« Reply #13 on: Apr 26, 2020, 08:04 AM »
OK so now it is a charter school, (closed), before that it was a big box shoe store, (gone), before that a Central Hardware, (likewise), but preceeding them all it was a gravel pit for a company made cement blocks.  It was about 3 miles from where I grew up - a perfect distance for a kid on a bike with a fishing pole across the handlebars and a small tackle bag tied to the frame.  It also had crappies.  We didn't know about minnows back then.  Dug worms were the standard. They made the trip in a can in the tackle bag. We dressed in dull colors. One of my buddys had an olive drab shirt that his dad brought back from the war. Other than WW II stuff, camo, for us, was still years in the future. Stealth was of paramount importance because the pit was heavily posted with "No trespassing" signs and the watchman didn't bother to chase us. He just opened the gate to the pen and let the german shephards do the work for him.  For this reason, the poles we used were really cheap ones topped with a Zebco 202.  Fortunately the chase dogs were noisy, and as we were on the other side of the pit from the guard house, we usually had time to pack up and make our escape.  If not, the zebco went into the bushes and we rode like furies until the coast was clear.  Later we would return to pick up our abandoned gear.  (For this reason I never took my Zebco Spinner 33 and good tubular fiberglass pole). We caught all manner of sunfish, bullheads, and even the occasional crappie - all released as we had no good way to get them back home.  We also learned how to deal with snakes and bugs and off hand casting. So, yeah, I've got a new Lund, but my last half dozen trips or so have been from the bank...

fish on,
rivereddy

old man river

« Reply #14 on: Apr 26, 2020, 01:31 PM »
yes
 there's no better way to fish for northern pike
on sunny day in may  8)
ralph

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com