FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: River bank fishing  (Read 2565 times)

lowaccord66

Re: River bank fishing
« Reply #15 on: Apr 30, 2020, 10:04 PM »
Love that Rivereddy.  I can remember using the dual zippers on my backpack to hold the broken down 2 piece rod and reel and riding all over.  Like you I used worms, then eventually I was buying minnows, reusing 1 gallon milk containers to hold them...then one day I graduated to the floating rapala, then the fly rod (first trout landed on it wad with the floating rapala tied to the end of my tippet)

These are fond memories....also some of the best memories with my dad. 

rivereddy

Re: River bank fishing
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2020, 10:35 AM »
In downtown Indy in the 60s, there were a few sporting goods stores.  Sutphin's, near the Track, was way ahead of its time.  It had some fishing tackle but really specialized in Bear archery equipment.  It was here that I bought my first daredevle - a black and white spinnie. Budnick's, in a funky shaped building on Mass. Ave, had more fishing stuff than a 10 year old could comprehend.  It was here that I bought my first Rapala -  a silver 7cm floater.  It cost $ 1.95 when most lures went for a buck and a quarter.  I caught my first lure caught fish with that lure and nearly cried when I lost it, (the lure), years later.  Then there was Emroe's sporting goods, right down on West Washington St.  Going to Emroe's was almost like going to church... It was always quiet inside. It was  several stories tall, each floor dedicated to some manner of outdoor pursuit or sport.  One could have been blindfolded and still know where they were. The "ball sports" floor smelled of leather footballs, canvas Cons, and neatsfoot oiled ball gloves.  The gun floor smelled of Hoppes and gun grease. One could get everything from a .22 for plinking to a .505 Gibbs for elephant. Indeed one could outfit for an Alaskan adventure or an African safari out of that place. The fishing floor smellled like paradise... Painted wooden lures, fly dope, rubber waders and varnished creels..... One could find near invisible dry flies there and a couple of cases over ogle Husky Devles bigger than one's hand. All are now but memories.  Only Emroes is still around. No longer downtown, they are out in the 'burbs and  only sell screen sports uniforms...

Fellas, them's was the days

fish on,

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.