My Fish Finder Main > General Fishing Discussion

New Lowrance and Garmin trolling motors

(1/10) > >>

Frankie Bags:
I like the idea of having brushless trolling motors. I wish they had the option to purchase without the built in transducer. Your paying for a lot for something you can’t use unless you have a compatible sonar unit. I’m sure that’s the idea.  Still amazing motors.

Jethro:
Totally agree. I hear a lot about MK's newer motors having issues. This is sweet and good timing for me, but I am pretty sure they are going to target the bass fishing market first as I'm sure it's the bread and butter. I will be buying a system this coming spring for use on my coldwater trolling boat as an autopilot in conjunction with my gas kicker, and brushless would be great if it increases efficiency. Hoping they make some auto deploy models like the MK Ulterra which has been leading the pack for me. I'd like to have a Lowrance option and a Garmin is very interesting.

Mac Attack:

--- Quote from: Jethro on Aug 14, 2019, 07:59 AM ---Totally agree. I hear a lot about MK's newer motors having issues. This is sweet and good timing for me, but I am pretty sure they are going to target the bass fishing market first as I'm sure it's the bread and butter. I will be buying a system this coming spring for use on my coldwater trolling boat as an autopilot in conjunction with my gas kicker, and brushless would be great if it increases efficiency. Hoping they make some auto deploy models like the MK Ulterra which has been leading the pack for me. I'd like to have a Lowrance option.

--- End quote ---

The Ultera is where they have had the majority of their problems Geoff.
That auto deploy/stow feature goes to crap and you then have a unit you cannot pull out of the water for the ride back into the dock.
If you get one, be sure to mount it on a quick release mount system.  Just in case.

Getting older, hauling up the 24VDC Terrova I have in rough seas is a scary deal.
A 36VDC unit would be even more fun.
I would love an auto deploy/stow Ultera, but not currently.

However, my Terova is an older unit.
The new ones have a lift assist device that helps with the weight of the unit.
Still, standing up front on the bow in 3-4' seas pulling up that motor with my 63 year old legs is scary.

I remember fishing with my dad when I was in my early 30's and watching him struggle walking around my 25' boat in relatively calm 1-2' waves.
He swore about it commenting, "I spent years in the Navy in all that rough water and I can't walk around here in this stuff to save my a$$".
Now I know what he spoke about.
Older and more feeble.
And he was the guy I inherited the neuropathy from too.

In any event, I wish they could get the problems sorted out on the Ultera.

Jethro:
I don't see how a quick release mount would help if the auto deploy/stow failed since the quick release plates (I have them on both my PowerDrive units currently) need to slide inboard. They have a stop that prevents the quick release from going outboard. So if it fails while deployed and it can't stow or move up manually I don't think you can remove the motor with the QR plate. And I was worried about that, so back to the top of the list goes the Terrova.

lowaccord66:
Thats why I like my Riptide quick release.  Its just a square the troller sits on rather than a slide!  Granted I dont have to worry about auto deploy and stow.  That's too fancy for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version