FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Perch-Bluegill-Panfish As Bait  (Read 2667 times)

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
Perch-Bluegill-Panfish As Bait
« on: Mar 23, 2004, 11:36 AM »
This topic was over on the shanty and I thought I would bring it over here. Years ago in high school there was a girl who's father was a Region 7 game warden. His name was Kenny Kellogg. I talked with him one day about this and he said the use of these fish as bait is legal as long as I am catching them myself with my own rod and real. So I have done it ever since. Over on the shanty I see there has been a discussion about the same thing and of course there are different views. I just got off the phone with Cpt. Erikkson Region 7 and he said the exact same thing. He spoke of only two stipulations and they were; I don't have a baiting license and not using a net, and I'm not transporting non native fish to different bodies of water.  If I am using the fish I catch as bait on my own rod and real, in the same body of water, that is perfectly legal. 
Harold

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
Re: Perch-Bluegill-Panfish As Bait
« Reply #1 on: Mar 23, 2004, 12:02 PM »
Just in case anyone else wants to see the shanty conversation....

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=12589.0

And here is my latest response to that thread....

Just a little update, I have checked again with a Region 8 ECO who says that it is perfectly legal, he said the question has come up multiple times. During the same conversation 2 LT's also chimed in to say it is legal. I am working on a official document saying so, so stay tuned.

Jon

Howey any chance you can get the Captain to send you a letter stating as such? I am working on that as well. So far I am leaning towards it being perfectly legal. But to be safe I will have proof in hand on letterhead. Then we can end this debate once and for all one way or the other. If need be I will put a request into the NYDEC Attorney section in Albany for clarification.

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Mar 23, 2004, 01:12 PM »
Jon,

Sure thing.  :)
Harold

bigdave1018

« Reply #3 on: Mar 23, 2004, 04:24 PM »
ive heard that using baby gills is illegal but its1 of the best jackperch baits youll ever use. most of the pirates use them on oneida lk in the fall. they catch them with cast nets, ive seen them do it. we use baby perch under bobbers for pike when we cant get golden shiners. very effective for lm bass and n pike.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.