FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: favorite bullhead spots  (Read 5925 times)

panfish lover

favorite bullhead spots
« on: Mar 09, 2004, 07:15 PM »
please let me know some of your favorite bullhead spots in spring (location and time if possible) i havent had good luck myself the last few years, thanks

can_of_worms

Re: favorite bullhead spots
« Reply #1 on: Mar 10, 2004, 03:23 AM »
I like Honeoye and Conesus. South end of honeoye and the North end of Conesus South is also good but a bit  more cramped. April is as good a time to start looking for them if it is a normal one temp. wise. I think the first thunderstorm really turns them on. Soon. Good luck.

Sandman

• Loud pipes save lives
« Reply #2 on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:10 AM »
I'd have to say South Bay, Eel Bay and Lake of the Isles in Wellesley Island. They are tastey and I get to fish with family and friends. Around here I would have to say off my dock at Braddock's. The fridge is a short walk! By the way, got 5 friday night during that warm weather using spikes.  I also like to boat fish 'em anywhere along the marsh here. Tough to beat the action.
Mobil Launch Team - 2 , 5th MAC SOG
de Opresso liber

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #3 on: Mar 10, 2004, 05:41 AM »
Long Pond, I-Bay,Sodus, This year Cayuga.
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

BuckShotJon

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2004, 07:42 AM »
Sodus (bay bridge, third creek, arneys marina.

Erie Canal (Port Gibson, Macedon)

Gananda (developement that lies in Macedon and Walworth)

Jon
"When the people fear the ‘government,’ that is tyranny. When the government’ fears the people, that is liberty. - Thomas Jefferson

fingerlakesfisher

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2004, 08:04 AM »
cayuga lake, north end,   ONLY when the south wind blows.  you will kill them  As for time of the year, as soon as thew ice is gone and we get a strong enough south wind to muddy the waters

scottcny

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2004, 08:22 AM »
South Shore state boat launch on Oneida lake. Soon as the ice goes in the bay the buckeyes will congragate and the bullheads are right behind them.

howey1176

• Gone Fishin'
« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2004, 10:50 AM »
There are so many to list;

HMMMM

Sometimes the Leroy Island bridge area on Sodus Bay can be very productive.
Harold

packerbacker

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2004, 04:31 PM »
Bay Bridge, Sodus
LeRoy Island bridge, Sodus
Shaker Heights (3rd Creek), Sodus my neighbor puts a row boat in the creek on the South side of the road and rows up into the swamp. It has posted signs but he said he's fished it for 30 years and never had a problem. With my luck I'd get nailed. Go figure.

packerbacker

wny angler

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2004, 08:20 AM »
i don't fish for bullheads(don't care for the taste) but i see a lot of them caught at the conesus lake inlet every spring on leaches-if you use worms the little gills steal your bait

reelcharacter

• They call it fishing, not catching, for a reason
« Reply #10 on: Mar 11, 2004, 11:51 PM »
ScottCNY,

I will have to get out there and give it a try.

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

reelcharacter

« Reply #11 on: Mar 12, 2004, 12:21 AM »
WNY,

You mentioned seeing Bullhead caught on Leeches. That made me think of something I've heard before. Many of the things "passed down" are more folk lore or wive's tales, so I do not know if there is any factual basis to this. (Also, is not anything I would intend to try for obvious game law reasons).

I have heard of placing a burlap bag with chicken parts, beef stuff or even woodchucks (a crossover sport between woodchuck hunting and bullhead fishing, I guess). The bag after a day or so will bring all the Bullhead around. It was assumed the meaty contents attracted the Bullhead. I wonder if Leaches are attracted to the meat and the Bullhead to the Leeches?

-Reelcharacter
Email me to swap information on fishing holes or to go fish'in sometime in the Syracuse Central NY area (Onondaga and Madison county water holes in particular).

ajwiez2

« Reply #12 on: Mar 12, 2004, 07:33 PM »
that thing with using the burlapp sack worked two ways  the  first is that the leeches would come for the stuff in the sack and that was how we used to get leeches to fish with and to sell, and the second reason was that the bullhead would be attracted to the scent and the leeches that were coming to the sack . That is why you have to keep checking the sack a few times an hour or the bullhead will eat all the leeches .

reelcharacter

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2004, 12:10 AM »
Rain today, but still ice.

How far are we away from that third sign that spring is finally here?

1. Robins (and trooper roadchecks - they happen about the same day).   :)
2. April Fools Day. (Oh, yeh, they go out Trout Fishing then, too).   :D
3. BULLHEAD FISHING. (I can almost smell all them burnt bugs on the Coleman Lanterns now).   ;D

If you have a favorite location to enjoy # 3. at, let us know where, and when you expect to be "burning bugs" with your lantern there.

Thanks,
-Reelcharacter

bigdave1018

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2004, 07:52 AM »
reelcharacter, you are more then welcomed 2 come up for the weekend or whatever and fish pannies during the day and heads at night[ there are a few places here where the daylight head bite can be worth while]. hope 2 hear from yoy real soon or see you on the water tks big dave1018

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.