FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Mississinewa Verses Salamonie  (Read 1390 times)

TennesseeFreeze

Mississinewa Verses Salamonie
« on: Apr 15, 2018, 01:17 PM »

Salamonie Versus Mississinewa
The Great Crappie Debate
              I live in Wabash between the two Lakes. There close to each other, they feed into the same river (The Bash), They were built with the same engineering and flood control goals in mind, in effect carbon copy's of each other. As a fisherman i've noticed there always compared, ever notice it? If there slow at 105, somebody eventually says, "I heard there gettin em at Missy". If were at Hogback at Missy and there not hittin , somebody will say, "I heard there hammering em at Lost Bridge", Sally.
             As it pertains to Crappie I'm curious what you guys think. Your fairly serous anglers, I know many of you, if your on this site you clearly have a passion for fishing that the average joe does not. Your option carry's a certain amount of weight ya know. So when it comes to the Crappie. Which do you prefer to fish? Simple Question, Its always a numbers, size debate it seems. I am super interested in ya'lls opinions.
            Good luck out there my fellow fish people ;D

I personally think  Mississenwa for Size, Salamonie for numbers                   

RoeBoat

Re: Mississinewa Verses Salamonie
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15, 2018, 11:02 PM »
Not even an honorable mention for Roush?  Always fished salimonie as a kid, not enough experience on mississinewa to give a good opinion.  Will surely follow the comments though.  I know one thing, the slabs you got out of Missi we're better than the ones I seen on Sali this winter.

bigr

« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2018, 03:38 AM »
Good topic. Even though the resi's were built at the same time and for the same reason they are different in the sense they drain different areas of water. The sally runoff begins much further north than the missy in more agricultured land causing it to fill in much quicker and get muddy and stay muddy longer. The crappie don't cycle nearly as much in the missy than the sally and the cycles don't last near as long. The  missy crappie have a better food supply it seems yr after yr causing the fish to grow faster giving it a better avg year after year. Wasn't always the case but is now. Sally has been in a down cycle for several yrs but is final I believe in an up cycle now. The food base for crappie just hasn't been there for the sally until the last couple yrs were as the missy always seems the have plenty of small shad to feed on. The resi's themselves are alittle different structure. The missy is much rockier than the sally which helps settle the water clearing it quicker and making fishing easier. Most like to fish cleaner water. This is just my two cents worth about the comparison. This year and hopefully the next few years the two will give up very nice avg size crappie with the sally most likely giving up the biggest fish.

kfishdoctor

« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2018, 07:38 AM »
Thanks bigR for the report. Cant wait to get there. But first I have to go shovel the snow?

TennesseeFreeze

« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2018, 01:56 PM »
Very cool bigr, I like the shad observation, there definitely seems to be more swimmin in Missy's waters.

bev

« Reply #5 on: Apr 17, 2018, 05:17 AM »
I have to agree with BigR each place can give up and has giving up big numbers and size over the last 30 years that I have fished both since I live right on the sally, missy is not that far. I am 50, 50 on both res. I fish sally more since it is in my backyard (really close). I like the size that comes off the missy. but I need numbers to feed my family, (AKA my son) who seems he can get enough food every day. LOL. Happy fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.