FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Top water lures for pike?  (Read 18074 times)

Hood

Re: Top water lures for pike?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 19, 2005, 12:25 AM »
hey Wolf.... if you do not already know how, learn to "walk the dog" with a zara spook of any size or color, it is the best topwater bait known to man in my opinion.
GUN CONTROL MEANS HITTING YOUR TARGET 

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #16 on: Apr 19, 2005, 02:58 PM »
I see there are many of good top water lures out there,I might have to  purchase few of the ones everyone mentoned and try them out this year.;D
I have seen on fishing shows guys fly fishing for pike, have any of you ever tried pike that way? If so I bet that was a blast.:)

Water Wolf

meadowpikeman

« Reply #17 on: Apr 22, 2005, 02:42 AM »
I don't know if a SUICK is a true topwater but it can be worked like one with sort twitches and long pauses...................ohhhhhhhhhhh :o !!!!!!! i can hardly wait
 and water wolf fly fishing for pike is a blast but its hard to muscle a bruiser in the cabbage even on a 9 or 10 weight.
"Fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills. You end up on alcohol and Pills"-Fred Eaglesmith

Hookset

« Reply #18 on: Apr 22, 2005, 08:20 AM »
My biggest pike from the Hudson have consistently been taken on a Zara Spook, Blue back wiith a silver belly.  Probably fifteen last year and Istill have it.  Not much color left, but she gets the job done.

My secod is probably a big Scum Frogs filled with plastic worm parts for added weight.  I don't get to actually land many, but worked really fast over the slop, the pike put on a great show.  They frequently miss, but still track the d**n thing very close to the boat.  Most times you set he hook and it's just the end of the line flopping in the breeze.  Oh, that's right, they make steel leaders now...
We don't own the Earth, the Earth owns us.
US ARMY Veteran: A Battery 6/32 FA, MLRS

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #19 on: Apr 24, 2005, 05:25 PM »
A larger popper or a buzzbait. However the lure I really want to try this year is the arbogast sputterbuzz. It is a weedless buzzbait that floats at rest. When retrieved it has basically the same action as a buzzbait, but you can pause it or jerk it for a popper action. I think this will be a premier pike bait.

Tyler
I plan to buy one as well, , but I think of it more of a propbait like a Smithwick Devils Horse than a buzzbait.

Water Wolf

« Reply #20 on: Apr 29, 2005, 05:28 PM »
While fishing with top water lures has anyone ever tried trolling with them? :
I wonder if that would work? ??? :blink:

WW

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #21 on: Apr 29, 2005, 06:37 PM »
While i have thought about it, I believe that most topwater baits are meant to simulate an injured baitfish or a frog, both of which swim erratically, and that cannot be attained by trolling, as it can by cast and retrieve.

devil-man

« Reply #22 on: Apr 30, 2005, 02:53 AM »
I've never tried trolling for pike. The thought of it just isn't right.
Drifting is better IMO.
If you get a hit trolling you better have good tackle!

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #23 on: Apr 30, 2005, 09:17 AM »
I've never tried trolling for pike. The thought of it just isn't right.
Drifting is better IMO.
If you get a hit trolling you better have good tackle!
Speed trolling with big minnow diving baits is  popular, those guys troll up to 5mph! :o

meadowpikeman

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2005, 01:26 AM »
never trolled for pike??? strange. ???
"Fame doesn't take away the pain, it just pays the bills. You end up on alcohol and Pills"-Fred Eaglesmith

jacksmelt

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2005, 07:46 PM »
we troll for muskie in n. maine with shallow diving rapalas and large daredevils. in the spring esp. they will come up to grab it even in deeper water. i tie 12in. homemade streamers and get em' on those as well. its the best way to pattern water. in the summer go back to the spots you got em' in the spring and cast there . often you'll hook up in the same places,.

Water Wolf

« Reply #26 on: Jul 28, 2005, 02:22 AM »
When fishing with top water lures what's the deepest that they will call up pike?
:blink:

WW

Pasquatch

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #27 on: Jul 28, 2005, 09:58 AM »
I've pulled up pike from 25 feet with Zara Spooks.

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #28 on: Aug 06, 2005, 11:49 PM »
I have settled on buzzbaits being the best topwater lure and one of the best lures for pike period in my area. I have landed some nice pike up to 10 pounds this year on buzzers and have had much bigger ones on. A buzzbait in th evening when fished in really shallow weeds or broken rocks produces some SCARY strikes and is a pretty reliable pattern around here, where pike fishing is tough.
I had 10 pike smack my buzzer on one river trip this year and landed lots of them the next trip too. Will post pics of my big river pike soon.

bassjunky

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Ontario
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2006, 03:09 PM »
revival time.......I was about to start this topic again, but since there is so much good info we might as well just revive it.

This will be my first season targeting pike and Im a top water fanatic....I have some spooks, that I have been using for for a few years for bass and will be giving them a try for sure.....has anyone tried using the double buzzers on Pike?  If so how have your results been so far....I bought my first double buzzer on the off season and cant wait to give her a try.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.