FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: When EXACTLY do Pike Spawn??  (Read 10641 times)

fishnut

When EXACTLY do Pike Spawn??
« on: Apr 01, 2006, 02:18 PM »
Iv'e never witnessed the Northern Pike Spawn.  Iv'e tried a few times to see them, but have not been able to.  Iv'e either been 2 or 3 days too late or 2 or 3 days to early, or just have not been able to find the spawning grounds. 

Iv'e read alot on the internet about this.  All it says is "pike will spawn just after ice out"  When exactly is "ice out"?  After most of the ice leaves the lake?  After All the ice leaves the lake, but has some along the shoreline? Or after the lake and shoreline is completely %100 free of ice?  Anyone know the true awnser to this?

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
Re: When EXACTLY do Pike Spawn??
« Reply #1 on: Apr 01, 2006, 05:25 PM »
Ummm april 13 at 2:28 pm in the afternoon.  sorry I had to

I think a lot of things go into the mix like the amount of daylight, water temp what body of water they are in river, res, big lake with alot of tribs, what may hold true in a lake 20 miles away may not be the same as a lake in your back yard.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

Fishingking

« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2006, 07:54 AM »
What if the lake didnt have any ice this year?? then they dont spawn at all :(
Team NY 
Was that nice enough for you?

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2006, 09:25 AM »
as soon as the creeks, and rivers are free from icefloes, the pike start moving up for the spawn....take the time and watch the edges....bright sunny afternoons are prime......as far as lakes that havent frozen over?...I would suspect fresh inflow would also trigger the spring spawn.....anyone else?....Grump

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 02, 2006, 05:20 PM »
Pike are some of the first fish to spawn in the spring. They usually spawn in creeks or shallow bays. They they will even spawn under the ice but generally they like the bays or creeks to be ice free and it the temp has to be at least 50 deg F. They can be done there spawn while the ice is still on the main lake body.

I read that there eggs are sticky and adhere to the old vegetation and other objects.
The young pike hatch in 10-12 days. The young fry have an adhesive organ at the top of there snout, they use this to attach themselves to underwater plants and stay that way for a week until they use up there egg sac.

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

pikemaster789

• MIRC!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2006, 09:29 PM »
its a water temperature thing

Fishing is life

MIRC!

fishnut

« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2006, 06:20 PM »
Pike are some of the first fish to spawn in the spring. They usually spawn in creeks or shallow bays. They they will even spawn under the ice but generally they like the bays or creeks to be ice free and it the temp has to be at least 50 deg F. They can be done there spawn while the ice is still on the main lake body.

I read that there eggs are sticky and adhere to the old vegetation and other objects.
The young pike hatch in 10-12 days. The young fry have an adhesive organ at the top of there snout, they use this to attach themselves to underwater plants and stay that way for a week until they use up there egg sac.

WW

Thanks waterwolf, that's the awnser I was looking for.   :bowdown: :thumbup_smilie: :clapping:

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2006, 02:17 AM »
No problem fishnut. ;)

WW
Calmly Waiting For Opening Day

fishnut

« Reply #8 on: Apr 21, 2006, 08:11 PM »
With all this warm weather,  I wonder if the Pike are spawning yet??  I guess it varies from lake to lake depeding on size of Lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.