FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: "Do It Yourself" Boat and Canoe ideas  (Read 16540 times)

crappieloo

Re: "Do It Yourself" Boat and Canoe ideas
« Reply #45 on: Jun 05, 2004, 09:15 AM »
I do what DB is talking about, tieing off at the center thwart. I use a 1 gallon jug filled with gravel. No problems with current, BUT......with wind i'm swinging and dragging the ancor (jug) all over the place.

Cider

« Reply #46 on: Jun 24, 2004, 02:43 PM »
reelcharacter - sorry it has taken so long to get these pics posted.  Here are a couple of the canoe as it is rigged now.  I still need to add outriggers, rod holders, anchor brackets, and a mount for my fishfinder.

copperjohn

« Reply #47 on: Mar 14, 2008, 02:34 AM »
I know this is an old thread but I think you might get a kick out of this Coleman Scanoe that I converted to a drift boat...[/img]
[/img]
[/img]

The rowing frame is fitted galvanized pipe and fittings shaped to extend 12 in out and 6 in above gunwhales and clamped to boat's supports in midsection.  Teamed with the 10 foot extended boat oars and the doughnut oar locks, I get plenty of torque and draw on each stroke while rowing from a cooler that I bungee to the supports.  The oars work just like the real thing.  I installed floor sections of 1/4 in OSB by cable tying them to the floor support pipes in the boat's bottom.  This deals with the colman softbottom/stability issue.  I removed the rear foam and plastic cover and moved the rear seat forward to provide more leg room for the aft fisherman.  I  took a couple of truck innertubes and squeezed them into nylon "girdles" that I sewed and strap them to the underside of the rowing frames for pontoons.  I also installed a bowmount anchor pulley with pulley system all the way to rower position.  I also created a set of mini-rowing frames and oarlocks for the rear person to use with 6 ft oars for cruising faster. 

It rows pretty efficiently against the current, though it's length and flat keel keeps it from turning like a Mackenzie style drifter...no rocker to speak of.  It really flies with current.  With both rowing in time, it will gain well against the current(usually5-7mph).  But anything over 1/2 mile will wear us out.  The stability is incredible, as both of us can stand and cast without fear of tipping.  I use it in the fall for duck hunting on the ponds and river and it is a great shooting platform.  I might have 150 bucks into the mods, if that, mostly in the oarlocks and pipe fittings.  I would use my Minnkota 36 or 5hp Evinrude on it but I don't have a title for the scanoe and the state won't let me register it as a motorboat.

copperjohn

« Reply #48 on: Mar 14, 2008, 02:36 AM »

copperjohn

« Reply #49 on: Mar 14, 2008, 03:00 AM »
Sorry, someday I'll get this pic thing down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.