FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: If you had a state to pick from to live or retire in for the fishing  (Read 5496 times)

wallyworld

I'll stay right here in NYS, can't beat the fishing options  ;)

taxid

Anywhere but northwest indiana.

My wife is from "the region." She feels the same way.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

fishinjohn

No state income tax there either.
So you can afford a larger boat, or a couple dozen charters.
I hear people say that ALL THE TIME.. but if you figure in the cost of living difference...you're still cheaper to live here.. NOT TO MENTION trying to drive somewhere down there...
Take you an hour to go 15 miles..NO THANKS
And then the HIGH RISK of losing your house OR DYING in a hurricane...
I'll pay state taxes and deal with unsettled weather
Great place to vacation at for sure . But that's it for me

Mac Attack

John -

Not sure where you got the idea that it's cheaper to live in NY than in Florida, or most anywhere for that matter.
NY is one of the most expensive places to live.
Especially with the highest property and school taxes in the country.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/opportunity/affordability

https://www.uslearning.net/cost-of-living-by-state.html

Additionally, the traffic down there (away from the coast) is really no worse than up here.
If you drive anywhere in this country near the coast (NY, MA, MA, NH, SC, NJ, etc.) the traffic is goofy.

Your comment about losing your house to a hurricane is somewhat valid.
I found this statement on line in an article -

"Miami has a 48% chance of experiencing a seasonal storm, but only a 4% chance of a direct hit by a category three or stronger hurricane."

As for your comment about dying in a hurricane, get out before it arrives.
There is always plenty of time and notice.
If you sit in an intersection in a road, knowing cars are coming, you stand a serious chance of getting hit.
lol

My point here is that there is no place on earth that doesn't have plusses and minuses.
You simply need to pick your poison.

I can find bad things to say about anywhere.
The snow and the cold up here, the taxes, the heating bills, the cars and bridges rusting out, etc.

Out west, wildfires, dust storms, unemployment, etc.

Down south the heat, hurricanes, people speaking funny...……. 8)

This is America.
Live where you wish.

But don't fish in my spot.     :laugh:

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
I don't think I'll ever leave NH. I love it here in the 'shire.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
I don't think I'll ever leave NH. I love it here in the 'shire.

So do I excluding the saltwater variety!
Wicked Wec

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Mac - You make some valid points and I know you HATE the cold. With that said, I would not compare a snow storm or even a nor' easter to a hurricane especially due to the recent consistency of large and high category hurricanes in the southern US. The death tolls do not even compare and neither do the overall damages. You are talking mass devastation from a hurricane that can span multiple large states vs some power outages and broken trees. Look at Hurricane Maria that hit Puerto Rico, Dominica and the Virgin islands. Leveled everything and its very much still the same 2 years later. The last thing I would ever want to do is flee my home during a hurricane or a fire and hope for the best while knowing nothing. I cannot even imagine that feeling and never wish it upon anyone. However, like you said, we can all pick our own poison. Snow can be moved and melted, that's my poison.
Wicked Wec

JDK

This isn't what you asked for but if thinking purely about fishing I'd split my time between Maine (and I know this isn't a state) Costa Rica. 

If I had to pick one place, I'd stay here.  Specifically central Maine.

# SAND

fishinjohn

Mac... when you leave NY can I fish in your spots??  :whistling: :rotflol:

Mac Attack

Mac - You make some valid points and I know you HATE the cold. With that said, I would not compare a snow storm or even a nor' easter to a hurricane especially due to the recent consistency of large and high category hurricanes in the southern US. The death tolls do not even compare and neither do the overall damages. You are talking mass devastation from a hurricane that can span multiple large states vs some power outages and broken trees. Look at Hurricane Maria that hit Puerto Rico, Dominica and the Virgin islands. Leveled everything and its very much still the same 2 years later. The last thing I would ever want to do is flee my home during a hurricane or a fire and hope for the best while knowing nothing. I cannot even imagine that feeling and never wish it upon anyone. However, like you said, we can all pick our own poison. Snow can be moved and melted, that's my poison.

I totally agree.
Hurricanes and typhoons are bad juju.

John - sure!!!
 ;)

BTW, it's been posted elsewhere but this thread is a good place to reiterate that I'm (at present at least) going to "snowbird".
We are replacing our place on Erie with a new custom-built unit and I just delivered my Lund to the dealer this morning.
I traded it for a 21' Trophy that will more better handle the waters of Erie and Ontario going forward.
For my trips to Canada I will rent boats up there.
Like I said, this is the decision at present time.
Down the road it could change...………….again.   :rotflol: :rotflol: :rotflol:
We can do that here in the US.

:flag:

filetandrelease

Sounds like it’s all about the city
  I worked down there for a few years on bridges , the city isn’t for me , I like upstate only an hour from the Canadian border
  I can still can move the snow and I enjoy ice fishing

Fish Farmer

A buddy of mine retired to Montana....he sends me some nice pictures occasionally....

Utah would make the list for me...but truthfully I'd stay in Vermont....strategically located 5 hours from Lake Ontario for Pacific salmon/steelhead, 5 hours to various coastlines for marine species, 1 hour to Lake Champlain for landlocked salmon and most warmwater/coolwater species. NH, Maine and Canada are within reach as well.

I can also catch 2 foot browns a mile from my house.

icefisher47

I’m glad someone put up this thread. I’m disabled due to a work related accident. My wife unfortunately has to work. Thinking of moving to N.H.
Take a kid fishing

lowaccord66

I’m glad someone put up this thread. I’m disabled due to a work related accident. My wife unfortunately has to work. Thinking of moving to N.H.

Sorry to hear that.  NH is an amazing state.  The white mountains are fantastic.  Some real nice put and take trout fishing.  Big pike too!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.