FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Maumee River anchor ?  (Read 1774 times)

Doubles Shooter

Maumee River anchor ?
« on: Mar 08, 2020, 08:15 AM »
A question for the boat guys. I'm going to visit my brother and fish the Maumee walleye run next month. Going to bring my boat this time. I know I have to upgrade my anchor. My boat is not big. 16 foot aluminum with a 65" beam with a 35hp on the back. I know a Richter style is good, but pricy. I showed it to a friend with a metal shop hoping he could build one for me.
He sent me a picture of one he made for someone several years back for rocky conditions. It weighs around 20 pounds, but could easily be made heavier.
What are your thoughts on it? Any recomended changes?  Should I follow the original Richter style? Thanks.

Mac Attack

Re: Maumee River anchor ?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2020, 10:41 AM »
Ipilot spotloc on a minn kota

If not, NEVER anchor off the stern in any river.

Have fun

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2020, 01:28 PM »
My Terrova is only 55lbs. The current there can be strong at times. Anchoring is pretty much what I have. I heard it is predominantly rocky bottom there. I haven't used an anchor in years with the Spot Lock on the motor. All I have is a 15 pound mushroom style. Looking for a cheap way out.

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2020, 01:51 PM »
My Terrova is only 55lbs. The current there can be strong at times. Anchoring is pretty much what I have. I heard it is predominantly rocky bottom there. I haven't used an anchor in years with the Spot Lock on the motor. All I have is a 15 pound mushroom style. Looking for a cheap way out.

The spotloc should hold you.
But having an anchor just in case is a good idea

hunts2long

• Sacandaga
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2020, 03:33 PM »
I believe you have to have an anchor, per Regs...h2l

Mac Attack

« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2020, 09:03 PM »
I believe you have to have an anchor, per Regs...h2l

You might be right

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2020, 06:44 AM »
Planning on both boat and wading. My wife doesn't like to wade in water any deeper than the soles of her shoes, so we will use the boat if conditions are right when we get there. If not she is going shopping with our nieces while the guys wade. I've been looking at getting a chain anchor made up to try too. Simple idea that has promise. Also cheap to make and adjustable weight too.

As a side note, my brother said the guys are starting to get a few limits out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.