FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Anyone ever see a striper jump?  (Read 3558 times)

Roccus

Re: Anyone ever see a striper jump?
« Reply #15 on: Sep 10, 2018, 06:42 AM »
Joe,

How has the fishing been lately for you?
It's good when I can get outside... unfortunately easterlies and the mouth of that river are not a good combination in a small boat.. especially at night... the river water is still too warm (75 at low tide) and is mixing unevenly at high tide..  there are fingers of 60 degree water that run into walls of that hot water.. once the temps come down a bit it should be good... this week should even things out a little with cooler nights and bigger tides... also tons of herring and shad drops in the river.. beachfront is awash with bait ( pogies,herring and squid)... no shortage of bass with them... but getting them to eat can be trickey... even eels just get bumped and ignored some times.... looking at the extended forecast, I wont be outside on the  beach any time soon.

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #16 on: Sep 10, 2018, 10:51 AM »
I hear that Joe, this storm will be interesting. There was a 70lb Cubera Snapper caught in a fish trap in RI this week, what will this storm bring next?
Wicked Wec

Fishermantim

• I go where the water takes me!
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2018, 02:34 PM »
What kills me is I tangle with what Ive always felt were the same big fish in one spot at the canal.  Just the way they know where the big rocks and kelp strands are and how you can feel your braid rubbing as this smart cow weaves it through all sorts of obstacles.  They definetly seem to have personality and I like the ones I hook and get worried immediately because I realize I have no control.  I remember getting on in close definetly over 50" and all of a sudden she decided enough was enough and went on the most amazing run never to be seen again.  I live for that feeling of helplessness.  Hope your smashing them Joe.  Ill be on the prowl tonight.

Fish don't get to be big without learning some fish tactics that allow them to shake off hooks.
I can tell you that they will FIND structure, whether it be kelp, weeds, rocks, docks, piers and even sandy bottoms to do the trick.
I used to target blues years ago and would get schoolies that would try to "rub out" the hook on the sandy bottom, resulting in a steel leader that looked like a piece of used pipe cleaner!

You tend to learn what the fish is doing by sheer repetition and experience, usually both at the same time and both resulting in a lost fish!
"God is playing to an audience that's afraid to laugh" (George Burns from "Oh, GOD")

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!" - The Existential Blues

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2018, 02:53 PM »
Fish don't get to be big without learning some fish tactics that allow them to shake off hooks.
I can tell you that they will FIND structure, whether it be kelp, weeds, rocks, docks, piers and even sandy bottoms to do the trick.
I used to target blues years ago and would get schoolies that would try to "rub out" the hook on the sandy bottom, resulting in a steel leader that looked like a piece of used pipe cleaner!

You tend to learn what the fish is doing by sheer repetition and experience, usually both at the same time and both resulting in a lost fish!

The truth.

I learned a fast retrieve reel is key for large fluke. The bigger ones tend to have a move where they swim up for a split second to relieve tension and have an opportunity to spit the hook. My 2018 big tip for fluke fishing is to never pump the rod when reeling a fish in, always hold it steady and when the above happens it gives you a few feet to combat that upwards swim.
Wicked Wec

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Sep 13, 2018, 08:28 PM »

I may have a little bit of experience with big bass...and for everyone that ive had play tricks...Ive had one barely fight.  Lots of 25lb bass that fought much harder than 40lbers.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.