FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Stupidest mistake?  (Read 57218 times)

reubenpa

Stupidest mistake?
« on: Mar 28, 2004, 07:57 PM »
Has anyone started a thread on the stupidest mistake in fishing? 

The stupidest one I have ever made is that I didn't go fishing a couple days last week!!!!   :) 

One of the many, and the only one that comes to mind right now is the time that I tried 2 # test line for crappies. I was using a 5.5 foot 4 piece travel fishing rod that a guy gave me one time, and I was casting a little spinner.  Well, the spinner caught something and the line broke and the tip of my rod flew off and out into the water about 30 feet with my spinner, therefore ening the usefulness of that rod!!!  I can't remmebr the others but I know I had done some DUMB ones!!
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

broken rod

• CPR
Re: Stupidest mistake?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2004, 08:07 PM »
i guess i can admit to sticking a bucktail in the back of my head  ;D
i just cut the line and went on fishing and got it out when i got home later that day ;D
tight lines, chuck

shark

« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2004, 04:47 AM »
 Biggest mistake was not buying more tackle last time I was at Gander Mountian.LOL

NEED MORE STUFF

Mark

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2004, 12:43 PM »
I've got a few. 

Stupid mistake #1:  I drove over an hour to wade my favorite river and when I got there realized that I forgot my wading shoes...

Stupid mistake #2:  That same day I tried to wade my favorite rocky swift river with tennis shoes.  After 15 minutes of trying to wade out to my spot and falling a dozen times and accumulating several shin, knee and elbow bruises, I decided to call it quits and head home to get my wading shoes.  Both mistakes cost me an extra 2 hours of fishing time that day when the fishing was really hot.

I've made many more, hopefully learned a bit from them too.

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2004, 01:03 PM »
Letting my significant other load the boat after a day on the water and forgetting to put the trim up. Not much was left of that prop. Will post a picture tomorrow.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2004, 06:18 PM »
Going down rapids in the gunnison gorge without  my pole caribeened on to my personal pontoon boat. (cataraft) I lost my 20$ pole and 80$ real, and brought no others so I had to use a stick to fish and I could only fish by handlining the line while I was drifting up and down some longer holes. I still caught some nice browns and bows.

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

big walleye

• Retired MFF Mod
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2004, 07:55 PM »
Well one of my dumbest bone headed moves was forgetting my fishing poles at home. Now that was dumb. :-[ :-[ :-[
Fishing,Hockey,Beer  is all man needs to survive!!!<br />

reubenpa

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29, 2004, 08:28 PM »
now I don't feel so bad, keep them coming!!

Today I did a dumb one, but didn't know it really...  my waderws had holes in them, so I stood in Maxwell creek for 3 hours with frozen feet!!  I didn't know they had holes!!!!
Just wanna be fishing, not just wishin

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #8 on: Mar 29, 2004, 08:30 PM »
thats how i usally figure it out ;D
tight lines, chuck

chrisfrank

« Reply #9 on: Mar 29, 2004, 11:20 PM »
Just last week me and my girlfriend drove about an hour and half to fish a small lake.  After unloading the canoe and filling it with gear, realized we didn't bring the paddles.  She had to drive to the nearest tackle shop to get some with the $20 we had.  Ended up with the smallest paddles i've ever seen.

Fat Boy

• MFF Mod Team
  • Team Mason-Dixon
« Reply #10 on: Mar 30, 2004, 10:49 AM »
I'm surprised that there aren't more drain plug stories coming out...gotta be one coming up soon!!! ;D

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #11 on: Mar 30, 2004, 01:06 PM »
I'm surprised that there aren't more drain plug stories coming out...gotta be one coming up soon!!! ;D

Ok, you got me now.

Lets see if I can remember now....it goes something like this;

The g/f and I are at a boat dealer looking at used boats. I had never owned a boat before so this would be all new to me. We pick out a boat (the boat we own now) and liked it. It was used but in great shape. 18' runabout, open bow, inboard/outboard motor. We all know the kind. Anywho, we wanted to take it out and try it to make sure it ran good and what have you before we bought it. So the salesguy hands over the keys, hooks up the boat, and off we go to the nearest lake to test drive it.

So we get there and I back the boat into the water and the g/f starts it up no problem. I go and park the truck and hop in the boat. So off we go, good hole shot, goes fast, handles good, etc etc. Well we stop the boat and try the hole shot again, except this time the front of the boat goes up like 8' out of the water and we can't get it up to plane. We stop the boat, shake our heads and try it again. Same thing, goes REALL slow and won't go up on plane. So we stop the boat and look around the boat to see what's going on. Well, the back of the boat is slowly filling up with water, yep you got that right, we forgot to put the plug in. I didn't know it needed a plug. We get back to the boat launch, I race up to my truck, and remember this would be the first time in my life i'm backing up a trailer. Well I couldn't believe it, I backed that thing up like i'd been doing it for 30 years. Get the stupid boat on the trailer and pull it out. Let the water drain out and remember about the plug. Well we didn't feel so bad because the salesman forgot to give us the plug at the shop.

End of story.
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

dachmation

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Mar 30, 2004, 02:13 PM »
Well FatBoy you asked for it.

We were running up Brest Bay in Lake Erie from Bolles Harbor to Sterling State Park area, the lake was dead calm and smooth as glass. As we passed Monroe we had to cross where the River Raisin dumps into Lake Erie. We were going flat out in a 16 ft SmokerCraft with a 50 Hp Evinrude on it. We were running toward the sun so there was a glare on the water and we didnt see the small wave or current formed by the river coming into the lake. We hit that wave and went airborne, with the back of the boat coming down first and we landed just about straight up and down. Needless to say we were very lucky to stay afloat and all in the boat. We had gear everywhere so we slowed down and fixed things up then continued up to Sterling. We stopped offshore there to drift and fish and as I was sitting in the front I soon realized my feet were squishing as I moved around. I looked back at my buddy who had water halfway up his shoes and said "Hey Jack wheres all the water coming from?" He looked down and said "what water?"and then a real quick "OH S**T". He flipped on the bilge pump and it started spraying out about 30 ft. instead  od the usual trickle. So then we started checking and discovered the plug had got knocked out in the rough landing. We did have a spare plug but it was a long reach down to put it in over the stern. Eventually we got it in then got the motor started and tried to get it up on plane to drain it but was still to heavy so we cruised slow until bilge pump finally drained the boat. We went back to port and loaded the boat to finish draining it. Needless to say the next time out we had a screw in plug inserted from the inside, instead of the fold over type put in from the outside. One good thing about that trip we got limits of walleye and  an Eight and a half pounder. Quite an exciting trip.

Mike
""TIGHT LINES"

Hollywood

« Reply #13 on: Mar 30, 2004, 05:22 PM »
Ever see a guy get excited while fighting a big fish & put his cigar back in his mouth .......backwards? PPSSSSTTTTTTTTTT. AARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Quite funny to watch actually.

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #14 on: Mar 30, 2004, 07:32 PM »
Caught the biggest trout I'd ever caught on a flyrod (22"), then falling down on the rocks and breaking it after releasing the fish.  Doh! 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.