FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Stupidest mistake?  (Read 57219 times)

hosscletuslulu

• PERCHPULLER
Re: Stupidest mistake?
« Reply #15 on: Apr 25, 2004, 07:43 AM »
I launched my boat at the marina and sent my buddy back to the camp on the other side of the lake with the truck and trailer.Then I tied off at the marinas dock to go on shore to check on another buddy that was working on his boat.I was standing there and looked at the plug in his boat and the bells went off,my plug was on the dash of the truck!So I ran back to the dock the boat was about half full of water I turned on the bilge and got moving went to camp and yelled to buddy on shore to get plug allwas saved.Just some info if you keep moving the water will be drawn out of the plug hole we used to do this in our small fishing boat pull the plug and drive around until the water is gone ,better than bailing with a beer can!

camo_fish

• Heeeeere Fishy, Fishy, Fishy
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2004, 05:19 PM »
I put all my tackle in my buddy's boat before launching, and my new rod was pointed toward the back of the boat and hanging out of the side. My buddy had pvc pipe guides on the back of his trailer for easier loading. When the boat started floating and launching backwards my new rods tip was on the otherside of the pvc pipe and proceded to bend as the boat was backing up. I was yelling stop, stop, my rod and about that time. SNAP!!!  A few cuss words and Sh*t happens. My new 8 1/2 foot medium rod was no more. The next bad thing is when I went to return it to the store, there was no more, no more, what! So I ended up buying a different 8 1/2 buss ramsey rod, this time, 10x better, and more money, but love it. I guess it was just meant to be, because I looked at that rod before I bought the cheaper one. That will teach me to just buy the better one next time, and always make sure the rods or down in the boat or straight out the front.
Fishing isn't a matter of life or death, it's much more important than that!

I live with FEAR everyday, and sometimes she lets me go fishing!

kerosenecounty17

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2004, 06:55 PM »
When you're all by yourself, make sure you tie off or drag the bow up a good couple of feet onto shore before you go to park the truck/trailer.  Especially when the wind is blowing toward the oposite shore.  And it's early May.  And you're in Wisconsin.  Man that's a COLD swim.

kero

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2004, 05:05 PM »
I do this probably once every three trips. I will catch a nice, big brown. probably about 4 pounds. They are toothy, right? Well, I dont re-tie my knot, and sure enough, the next fish I hook is even bigger, like a 7 pound rainbow or brown and they break the line at the knot.

fozsey

« Reply #19 on: Jun 06, 2004, 08:18 AM »
I have done the "oops, no plug ritual"  too many times to count.

How about casting into a good walleye spot only to lose everything to a snag and being the gifted intelligent person that I am I retie and throw it right back into the same spot only to lose it all again.

or...

tieing an 8' stringer full of fish 6' from the stern of the boat and moving only to discover that your 8' stringer is now 6' and the fish seem to have vanished.

:o

Polar

« Reply #20 on: Jun 06, 2004, 10:30 AM »
I'm surprised that there aren't more drain plug stories coming out...gotta be one coming up soon!!! ;D

Did not want to say much :-[,Last year put the boat in at the Friend's Landing Tied it off too dock.{Never noticed the water coming in} Parked truck,when I got to the boat sitting on the bottom of ramp.{didn't put in plug}It get's better Run up to the truck guess what? keys locked inside.Nobody around,I have no cell phone.Somebody pulls in 15 minutes later flag him over.He has cell phone,Cant get a sigal.We come up with a plan lauch his boat,recover my boat and put on his trailer.Then he takes me around till we get a signal,I phone home.Wife laughs hysterically. It shows you fisherman stick together no matter what.

vancouvercanuck

« Reply #21 on: Jun 11, 2004, 11:58 AM »
That's a great story there Polar. Hope that never happens to me. *knocks on wood*
"Surveys show that minesweaping draws the most diligent and precise individuals of any profession with employees averaging only one mistake per career." - Author Unknown

slipbob

« Reply #22 on: Jun 11, 2004, 01:02 PM »
I've done this twice.  My fishing rods in the back of the station wagon with the rod tips up near my driver's side seat headrest and the reels near the tailgate.  It's warm out and I lower the driver's side back window and don't notice the rod slides over and the tip sticks out the window.  Get to the spot, park, hit the power window button for the drivers side rear window and hear crrrrrrunch.  Yepper that 7 foot walleye rod is now a 6 footer and missing some guides on the end.  Slipbob's golden rule don't let your pole hang out of the rear car window and forget about that when you roll your window up.

fozsey

« Reply #23 on: Jun 21, 2004, 06:56 PM »
While we were fishing at Sioux Narrows we went into town for some brews and a couple new Shad Raps. When we got to the dock we saw a boat tied to the dock with the hood off the engine and two guys emptying cans of ether into the carb. We both looked at each other and said "poor guy". He came all this way only to have his boat not run. We walked up and got all the stuff we needed and came back to the boat to return to the cabin. I asked one of the guys working on the boat what he thought was wrong with it and he said that the night before they left the dock to go across the lake to the cabin they were staying and tied the boat up to the dock there. They went inside and started sipping a few brewskys and never went to check on their boat. The next morning they went out to get into their boat to go fishing and guess what....no boat. The owner forgot the plug in his shirt pocket and the boat went to the bottom. They dragged it out and pumped the water out, but couldn't get the motor to run. I had a sick feeling in my stomach. I can't imagine what he felt.

TroutFishingBear

« Reply #24 on: Jul 12, 2004, 09:00 PM »
See my new post "My weekend smallmouth adventure (float)"

Phoenix

« Reply #25 on: Aug 18, 2004, 07:00 AM »
I'm surprised that there aren't more drain plug stories coming out...gotta be one coming up soon!!! ;D

Buddy and I drove 800 miles non-stop to remote Canadian lake. Brought his brand new 18' boat. By the time we unloaded the truck, loaded the boat, drove 60 miles up lake to an island campsite, unloaded the boat, set up camp, rigged a way to moor the boat offshore (boat was fiberglass and the shoreline rocky), we were exhausted and retired to the tent. When I opened the tent door six hours later the first thing I saw was about two feet of bow sticking up out of the water about 30' from shore. We had forgotten to put the drain plug in the livewell. The water was about 40 degrees which precluded playing around in it, we waited three days for someone to come along with a boat. How's that for dumb!

fozsey

« Reply #26 on: Sep 15, 2004, 11:38 AM »
That is a good one. Hope you had plenty of beverages to keep you occupied...LOL

Liar

« Reply #27 on: Sep 16, 2004, 05:25 AM »
  :'(  :'(  That would be enough to make a grown man cry........ :'(   :'(   :'(

patrout

Easter
« Reply #28 on: Sep 16, 2004, 07:14 PM »
Well that would have to be the Easter Sunday my buddy talked me into pulling my down 65 Suszuki  and hooking the fairly new 25 Yamaha on the back of my boat to get some striper fishing in. Then I asked him If he wanted to lock it on or bolt it. but he said no need it's not staying on the boat. Well the first day of fishing went well with some small stripers but the next morning while running up the river we clipped a sunken  tree floating down the river. I looked back to see no motor gone in about 40ft of water. :'( That trip was a nightmare got home about 5 hours later for Easter dinner .The wife still brings that one up ::) Never did get the motor 

Mikepike

« Reply #29 on: Feb 19, 2005, 08:48 PM »
me and my dad where driving 100 miles to a lake trout lake in the middle of the bush. we load everything in and get going. we stop at a creek to try for some grass pike and notice the tailgates open. we had a cooler of 6+dozen minnows right at back GONE!

Lesson learned: make sure you shut your tailgate securely!

we ended up catching this 10 lb laker with a vibrax tipped with rubber minnow anyway! ;D

Just waiting for the backcountry laker trip

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.