FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: wierd encounter  (Read 23537 times)

miket.

• hard core
wierd encounter
« on: Jun 28, 2008, 11:14 AM »
i was fishing for trout last week and did nail quite a few . i was fighting this rainbow that was 16 or 18 inches long .as my fight  got close to me, this large mouthed bass must of been a 9 pound er or so just snick in and sucked this trout down. i fought it for a good 10 or 15 minutes and the bass spit the trout out. she just inhaled my trout with nothing to show for it except a half inch of the trouts tail fin. any experiences like this happen to anyone else?
hard core fanatic!

skunker

• Carry In Carry Out Do Your Part
Re: wierd encounter
« Reply #1 on: Jun 28, 2008, 11:32 AM »
Funny thing is that happened to me today... After reeling a 9-10in fallsfish in I decided to make a joke and say hey look bait and I cast that fish not far (10ft or so) and then this monster smallie came up and nailed it on top.  I tried getting the hook in him but the smallie was just holding onto the fallsfish.  Spit it out and the fallsfish was still able to swim away with no marks or damage.  Was exciting.

twintrades

« Reply #2 on: Jun 28, 2008, 11:49 AM »
 :D Nice

We live on a lake in northern wisconsin. 3-4 yrs ago i was fishing for som pannies andwas reeling in one. Behind it was a huge white mouth ( talken about 5 ft from the boat) Slamed shut behind it. Musky on! Mind you i had an ultra light and 3 lb test. 5 min fight, brought the musky up to the boat, put the net in the water and the d**n thing spit it out!!

They shure do a lot of damage on a poor panfish.

miket.

• hard core
« Reply #3 on: Jun 28, 2008, 02:12 PM »
if i had my camera with me  i could of got some nice pics because this all happened with in two feet from me.
hard core fanatic!

JKneibel

« Reply #4 on: Jul 02, 2008, 09:24 PM »
Quite a few years ago my dad and I were bass fishing on a lake near our cabin in Baldwin, MI.  We were using nightcrawlers on a single bait hook catching bass after bass.  Honestly it was getting a little mundane.  They were all about 12 inches.  Well, finally i got one on the line that was 'big'.  It was probably a 16-17 incher.  As i got it near the boat, the biggest northern pike i have ever seen came up and swallowed that bass up to its gills.  I was freaking out.  I fought the pike for about 5 minutes really gingerly.  We forgot the net that day, so when my dad tried to grab the pike, it pulled real hard and skinned the bass from its head to its tail.  That pike was, no like, probably close to 50 inches.  Its pretty exciting when a big fish takes one that you are already fighting.
A bad day fishing and drinking beer is better than a good day at work.

sperrin

« Reply #5 on: Jul 03, 2008, 08:25 AM »
I've heard alot of stories of Northern Pike doing that but its never happened to me....sounds like a pretty exciting time definitly! Great stories guys....  ;D

Stevo
A bad day fishing is still better then a good day at work!

jjf

« Reply #6 on: Jul 03, 2008, 08:48 AM »
had a similar thing happen to me last week  but with an 9-10 brown trout (stockie) my guess is that the large mouth bass was 5-6 lbs . He put the death grip on the trout. I played with the 2 of theme for a while..pretty cool..Going after a 16/18 inch bow is no joke :o

MickeyFinn

• 25" ADK Leaper
« Reply #7 on: Jul 04, 2008, 08:36 PM »
Ice fishing I caught a 15lb Northern that inhaled a 19 inch pickeral that triped the flag, it smashed it right at the hole, I really couldn't believe it at first. Luckly 2 of the points on the treble were on the outside of the pickerals jaw and caught just enough of the Pikes mouth.
We were biting this morning, we were biting this morning, we were biting this morning......

MasterAngler

« Reply #8 on: Jul 04, 2008, 10:05 PM »
I've seen this happen lots in the north, guiding for trophy pike.  They regularly hit small walleye and northerns we are reeling in, and sometimes we land both.  Big pike even swim up beside the boat and attack our stringer of shore lunch walleyes. 
Seven days without fishing, makes one weak.

mud_n_fun

• Take a Kid Fishing!
« Reply #9 on: Jul 05, 2008, 12:00 AM »
You musat have spawned something because I have never had this happen in my life.  But two days after reading this I was realing in a 5" gill on a ice rod and a 20" large mouch seated chasing it. I left the gill in the water and sure enough he took it. After nly 10 secs though he spit it out,  Then about  30 min later he did the same thing. That was one hungry bass. Never did land him though,

TimmyWill

« Reply #10 on: Jul 07, 2008, 11:29 AM »
I was reeling in a white perch and all of a sudden a mushie grabbed it right next to the boat and was only on for a few secondes and it let go the perch had a huge bite mark in it.

miket.

• hard core
« Reply #11 on: Jul 28, 2008, 07:25 PM »
i think it has a lot to do wit the spawn. it must of came in right over the spawning bed and the bass just wasn"t having it. i say this because in the exact same spot i seen the bass a couple more times and she even gave chase a couple more times. now i go over to the same exact spot and (nothing). i thought it was odd that a bass having no teeth would even mess with a trout which is loaded with em.
hard core fanatic!

iProzac1982

• Free Line Rides
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2008, 09:40 AM »
Reminds me of the time by buddy had on a 8" smallie and while reeling it in a 16-18" brook trout just hammered this fish, he stopped reeling and watched. By the time the trout had finished with the bass it was laying on bottom with most of its scales missing. I think the trout saw that it's competitor was in trouble and pounced on him.

jjf

« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2008, 04:50 PM »
Reminds me of the time by buddy had on a 8" smallie and while reeling it in a 16-18" brook trout just hammered this fish, he stopped reeling and watched. By the time the trout had finished with the bass it was laying on bottom with most of its scales missing. I think the trout saw that it's competitor was in trouble and pounced on him.
good for that brookie :flex:

lfishon

« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2008, 08:28 PM »
we were bull head fishing and wile i was reeling in a bull head a babby snapper  tryed to snag it up. my buddy teased it and got it eventually and had it in a aquarium for about a year and a half before turning it loose in the swamp
pretty kewl deal he would eat all the left over bait fish . we have had the turttles clean a stringer full of fish wile we sat right there  .
Fishing is not  a matter of life & death
    it is  more important than that

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.