FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Bobber of a lifetime  (Read 29977 times)

deggert60

Bobber of a lifetime
« on: Jun 20, 2014, 09:39 AM »
I was about 6 years old at the time and we were at my cottage in the Thousand Islands, NY. We were coming back from boating/swimming/fishing and we noticed a bobber in the shallows just chilling. So as 6 year old, this is a bobber, which is probably one of the most important tools as a young fishermen. Me and my friend decided to go retrieve this bobber with our paddle boat. So we started paddling over to it and I go an grab it and I get a monster tug on the other end. Their was splashing water everwhere. When we finally got a good grip on the bobber, we pulled in 30 inch or so northern that had been caught and snapped the line on the bobber. One of the coolest ways I've caught a fish. Ill never forget that memory. We fileted it, a cooked it with dinner with all the rest of fish we caught that day.
SUNY Oswego Fishing Club Founding Member 2013 (Alumni)

PikeHunterDan

• Aka JiggerDan
Re: Bobber of a lifetime
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20, 2014, 01:39 PM »
Awesome! :thumbup_smilie: The coolest way I caught a fish is when I caught someone else's tip-reel when ice fishing. The line was draped over my hook, a reel on one end and a 38" pike on the other! :w00t:

deggert60

« Reply #2 on: Jun 20, 2014, 02:17 PM »
that's a big pike caught in an interesting way, cant imagine how that felt pulling it by hand!
SUNY Oswego Fishing Club Founding Member 2013 (Alumni)

WANNAKETCHUM

• Ya gotta love it!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2014, 03:53 PM »
Yes...there are definitely some strange things that happen while fishing. A friend and I were drifting the shoreline of Cayuga lake years ago casting for trout when he hooked and landed a nice brown of about 5 lbs. The odd thing was, the fish apparently took a swipe at his spoon and got "hooked" because the eye (or loop) of a snelled hook was hanging out of it's mouth. Apparently, when the fish missed the lure the loop caught on one hook of the treble on the spoon he was using and he was able to fight and land it!

WK
Just one more cast!!! Just one more cast!!!

WalleyeAssasin22

• FISH ON!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2014, 03:24 PM »
I was once fishing with my cousin and a fish snapped his line, so I cast out where he casted. When all of the sudden I get a hit, turns out I hooked the line that snapped off of his reel. We get the fish on shore and sure enough his lure is in its mouth, it was a 19 inch brown!
FISH ON!!!!!!

danny b

• northernnnnnnns!
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2014, 12:29 PM »
Yes...there are definitely some strange things that happen while fishing. A friend and I were drifting the shoreline of Cayuga lake years ago casting for trout when he hooked and landed a nice brown of about 5 lbs. The odd thing was, the fish apparently took a swipe at his spoon and got "hooked" because the eye (or loop) of a snelled hook was hanging out of it's mouth. Apparently, when the fish missed the lure the loop caught on one hook of the treble on the spoon he was using and he was able to fight and land it!

WK
Lol I hooked I to a salmon like that....no idea how I landed it

hunterdeneugene

« Reply #6 on: Aug 25, 2014, 07:20 AM »
I hooked and landed a king salmon last year in the Salmon River and after a decent fight I brought it in and it was hooked on the brass ring right in front of the jaw on the stringer it was hooked to!  I released the salmon to fight another day but I kept the stringer. 

tree-on

« Reply #7 on: Sep 12, 2014, 10:39 AM »
I hooked and landed a king salmon last year in the Salmon River and after a decent fight I brought it in and it was hooked on the brass ring right in front of the jaw on the stringer it was hooked to!  I released the salmon to fight another day but I kept the stringer. 

Must be more common then I thought, I did the same a few years ago except I hooked the rope part of the stringer.

JohnMcN1

« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2015, 12:07 PM »
Very cool story.

merkleyb

« Reply #9 on: Apr 30, 2015, 03:22 AM »
My friend fought a fish for about 5 minutes in a local stream one time. After I stopped fishing to go see what was the commotion, he landed an old pair of tighty whiteys.....I'll never let him live that one down...
"Anyone can be a fisherman in May." (E. Hemingway)

afwrestler1986

« Reply #10 on: Jun 07, 2015, 08:42 AM »
I hooked and landed a king salmon last year in the Salmon River and after a decent fight I brought it in and it was hooked on the brass ring right in front of the jaw on the stringer it was hooked to!  I released the salmon to DIE UP RIVER but I kept the stringer. 

Fixed it for ya.  ;D

I was out with my friend and he got a decent pike. Soon as he set the hook, the line snapped above his bobber. About 5 minutes later we see his bobber chugging along through the channel headed for deep water. Without hesitation, i casted out with a crankbait in a last ditch effort to at the very least save the bobber. somehow, the hooks managed to snag everything that could be hooked on the setup. Soon as I snagged it, the pike went ballistic. It took off like a barracuda, got air, and jumped right into the side of the boat. Knocked itself clean out. Not a big pike after actually getting hands on it, 29", but I had never sen a fish instant KO itself before.

deerefishyfishy

« Reply #11 on: Apr 11, 2017, 09:22 PM »
I know it's an old topic on an open water forum, but I have to share the time a buddy and I were ice fishing on the Susquehanna River years ago and each hooked what we initially thought to be a pair of big fish within a few seconds of each other. After a minute or two of fighting we realized that when one of us was reeling in line, the other one was losing some on drag. Figuring that we had somehow gotten hooked to each other from the current, even though we were 30 ft apart, he opened his bail and I proceeded to reel in a 23 inch walleye with both of our lures hooked in his lip. He still claims that I stole his fish! ;D
Do you think fish go home and lie about all the bait they stole?

Early to bed, early to rise
Fish all day and make up lies...

There's a reason they call it fishing, not catching.

RuttNutt

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 07:10 AM »
Wow! Lots of great stories..................................many of them similar.

One Spring day I was floating in our (trout) stocked lake in my belly boat. I was using a rapala and hooked a nice rainbow. As I was realing it in, it started to surface about 20' out from me. I was stunned and very confused when the rapala broke the surface but there was still tension on my line!  :o  Then I realize that I had hooked a "snarl" of somebody's line on my treble hook. It had a single baithook in it's mouth and several split shot in the tangle of line.

Apparently this is more common than I thought!  ::)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.