FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Derby Miracle  (Read 3714 times)

WalleyeWonder

Derby Miracle
« on: May 30, 2018, 01:16 PM »
Thread hasn't been touched in a while, just browsing through and I remembered a good story. Years ago my father would take me to a trout derby in a local creek until I could no longer enter at the age of 16. I was about 12 at the time. We arrive to check in, and begin fishing shortly after. We poke around upstream with not much action. People fishing shoulder to shoulder , just not our style. From there we make a hike down stream that was quite the walk. The crowd began to thin and some nice holes seemed to be almost untouched surprisingly. With nothing to show other than a few 9" browns throughout the day I knew the odds weren't looking good for us. Fishing for hours at this point and derby check in time was 15 minuets away. That's when me and my old man decided to blow it off and continue fishing for fun for the remainder of the day. Not only a few minuets later did I see a substantial boil hit the top of the water adjacent to a partially submerged log. I proceed to throw my nightcrawler upstream from the fishes potential location and allow the drift to work the presentation where it has to be. Like clockwork, right when the fish was supposed to eat it, he did. Thumped it, set the hook, and we were amazed at the nice brown I was now battling in tight quarters with many snags present! I played the fish and my dad was there to assist, wrangling the trout as i got it to the bank. 20" beauty. After landing the fish, I remembered I was still in the derby with 10 minuets the spare. My dad says "we have to get back!" We hauled back as fast as we could to make it back to the lodge in order to check in. The big brown landed me 1st in my age division and was the 2nd largest fish caught in the derby. (which beat it by a half inch). I went home with a trophy and i don't think ill ever be able to forget that day. Love fishing with my dad.         
Jiggin' Like A Fool

SHaRPS

• Honor Respect Loyalty
Re: Derby Miracle
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 01:55 PM »
Great story WalleyeWonder. Same here with fishing with pops. Now its my turn to show my little guy what its all about.
Wicked Wec

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.