FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: WARNING!!!!!! DO NOT OPEN ANY EMAIL FROM NY OUTDOORS  (Read 2112 times)

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
WARNING!!!!!! DO NOT OPEN ANY EMAIL FROM NY OUTDOORS
« on: Apr 09, 2009, 04:27 AM »
I received 2 yesterday. The email contains a link to Win PcDefender, a particularly nasty piece of spyware that can and will take over your web browser and plant anti-removal tools in your registry.

DO NOT OPEN THIS EMAIL....DELETE IT!

I'm posting this here because I saw several other IceShanty/MFF members copied. It took me several hours to search out and destroy the files this junk planted in my computer. Personally, I think it's a scam by an anti-spyware manufacturer (SpyHunter) to try to get you to buy their product.

RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

nypike

• Where da fish at?
Re: WARNING!!!!!! DO NOT OPEN ANY EMAIL FROM NY OUTDOORS
« Reply #1 on: Apr 09, 2009, 04:58 AM »
thanks for the heads up rg..

Raquettedacker

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Apr 09, 2009, 05:06 AM »
    Thank You...
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own.....<br />Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand...<br />\"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part....\"

piker1

• here fishy,fishy
« Reply #3 on: Apr 09, 2009, 06:51 AM »
Thanks Rg....... ;D
If your not fishing , your not living

Madpuppy

• HOWASAPA
« Reply #4 on: Apr 09, 2009, 08:00 AM »
I received 2 yesterday. The email contain a link to Win PcDefender, a particularly nasty piece of spyware that can and will take over your web browser and plant anti-removal tools in your registry.

DO NOT OPEN THIS EMAIL....DELETE IT!

I'm posting this here because I saw several other IceShanty/MFF members copied. It took me several hours to search out and destroy the files this junk planted in my computer. Personally, I think it's a scam by an anti-spyware manufacturer (SpyHunter) to try to get you to buy their product.

RG
I agree RG, I have always said that all this crap with viruses and spam comes or is originated from anti sales companies. Kinda like a tire repair shop going out at night throwing nails in the road.
Thanks for the tip.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

FISHFORPIKE

• Phil
« Reply #5 on: Apr 09, 2009, 08:22 AM »
This stuff comes from "bad guys"  It is very like vandalism!  They have nothing better to do than harass "good guys"  like us  ;D  It is illegal!  Very difficult to track these jerks down.
Member - Black Lake Hooks & Bullets Crowd

mealworm

• snoogan
« Reply #6 on: Apr 09, 2009, 03:30 PM »
thanx!      good lookin out       i appreciate it

fishfinger

« Reply #7 on: Apr 09, 2009, 04:21 PM »
It's a dirty business (anti spyware companies).

Just like radar detectors for your vehicles. The companies come out with new police radar equipment. And then a few months down the road, come out with the detector. Win win for the companies!

cnypanfisher

« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2009, 06:54 PM »
Good info for PC users, that is why I bought a MAC, no viruses, spyware, or worm drama. You get automatic security updates for your Mac as long as you own it. It is worth the extra 2 or 300 bux when buying a new computer.

cny

eyedoktr

« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2009, 07:44 PM »
Good info for PC users, that is why I bought a MAC, no viruses, spyware, or worm drama. You get automatic security updates for your Mac as long as you own it. It is worth the extra 2 or 300 bux when buying a new computer.

cny

:thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie: :thumbup_smilie:
Pete Lewis

MeatHunter737

• GutPileStyle
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2009, 11:38 PM »

cny

yeah, Bill Gates is a crook!!! .... currently I do own a PC but my next comp will be a Mac...........

salmonrebel

• "YOU HAVE TO KILL IT!...TO GRILL IT!"
« Reply #11 on: Apr 10, 2009, 10:46 PM »
Thanks RG.
  Our 2nd Amendment isn't a priviledge!, IT'S A RIGHT!,... That, "SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!".... "WHACK 'EM! AN' STACK 'EM!"

rgfixit

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #12 on: Apr 11, 2009, 02:18 AM »
Got another one this morning >:(
RG
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it.

KingPerch

« Reply #13 on: Apr 11, 2009, 04:17 PM »
THANKS,RG!!!! :)
“I’ve never met a Perch I didn’t like!! 😎

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one’s life span

Nor Easter

« Reply #14 on: Apr 11, 2009, 06:36 PM »
You are correct. It is a rogue program. I googled it and found that CNET was hosting it on their site. They make it difficult to contact them but I did find a way and asked them to remove it from their site.

Dam**d CBS affiliate! They wanted me to register with their site and to do that, there's a ton of info they want to know about you. No thanks, I won't give them anything but my web-based email address.

We'll soon see if they reply to my email and also if it disappears from their download site. If they don't, I'll boycott anything and everything they are about.

You should contact NY Outdoors and let them know as well.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.