FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Keep a eye peeled for these waleye!!  (Read 2642 times)

boondox

Keep a eye peeled for these waleye!!
« on: Mar 02, 2017, 07:58 AM »
This sign says it all!

Mac Attack

Re: Keep a eye peeled for these waleye!!
« Reply #1 on: Mar 02, 2017, 09:16 AM »
Looks a lot like a pickerel.

:whistling:

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2017, 06:52 PM »
Speaking of that: This isn't a criticism of DNR and Fish & Game departments but why is it when you go to their websites they're mostly illustrations? Seems they should have lots of chances to take fish pictures. And as an artist I cringe at some of the illustrations.

???
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

boondox

« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Speaking of that: This isn't a criticism of DNR and Fish & Game departments but why is it when you go to their websites they're mostly illustrations? Seems they should have lots of chances to take fish pictures. And as an artist I cringe at some of the illustrations.

???

If looking for a good data base ohio has a great one even with pictures lol's go figure that taking the extra step in my book..

Fish Farmer

« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2017, 11:46 AM »

???

Maybe the Outreach budget is tight? I know I used to be involved in an Outreach program, where fish culture individuals were tasked with items like creating pamplets and such, but it was beyond their knowledge or desire, it was other duties as assigned. So things get done quick and cheap with what pictures are available. They were actually considering me for a sign carver, since I was relatively handy with a dremel. It was suggested that I router lettered signs for all the hatcheries on big equipment in the state park workshops. Luckily spring came, fish had to get stocked and spawned. We now go to professional sign companies for our sign needs.

tomturkey

« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2017, 07:24 AM »

???

You have to remember that it is the MICHIIGAN DNR!

ClearCreek

« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2017, 06:57 PM »

???

I would bet the artist that drew that walleye used on the sign, their name in under the caudal peduncle of the illustrated fish, would cringe at your comment!!

ClearCreek

taxid

« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2017, 03:06 PM »
Just to be clear that is actually a good illustration and I can see where it's appropriate in that situation. I'm referring to other DNR sites where different species are listed for identification and mediocre to poor illustrations are used vs. photos.

The illustration looks like a black and white versions of Joe Tomelleri's, and of course I see no credit to the artist. I've even seen his work on the cover of research papers with no credit given to the artist. As an artist that bother's me.

Here are some world class illustrations by Joe. I believe he used to or still does some work for In-Fisherman magazine.

http://www.americanfishes.com   
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

ClearCreek

« Reply #8 on: Jun 15, 2017, 10:22 PM »
The illustration looks like a black and white versions of Joe Tomelleri's, and of course I see no credit to the artist. I've even seen his work on the cover of research papers with no credit given to the artist. As an artist that bother's me.

The artist's name is under the fish back by the tail.  As I said above, the name is under the caudal peduncle of the illustrated fish.

I don't think the illustration is a Tomelleri.

ClearCreek

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.