FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Any Fellow Surfcasters?  (Read 5314 times)

lowaccord66

Re: Any Fellow Surfcasters?
« Reply #15 on: Jul 28, 2017, 01:00 PM »
Very cool Mudchuck.  I want to try some southern casting soon.  Catching a big drum from the surf is definetly on the list.

greenhornet73

« Reply #16 on: Jul 28, 2017, 01:25 PM »
I did a little casting on the Outer Banks 2 years ago and fishing was pretty slow but lots of spinner and blacktip sharks around.  Tried at night a few times with cut bait in the surf but no luck.  I fished a pier one day and kept catching pinfish with shrimp so I put one on a shark rig on my other  broomstick of a rod with 80 lb mono while I continued to have fun with the pinfish.  Didn't my baitclicker go off so I  engaged the reel and Fish On.  The rod just about doubled over and line was screaming off my Penn offshore trolling reel and never stopped until it reached the distant surfers and stopped, did a U turn, and came straight back at me and under the pier as my line was rubbing against a pier support and eventually snapped before I ever caught a glimpse of what I hooked i had into.  The pier bait shop owner said it was probably a huge redfish since they love pinfish but didn't rule out a shark or a large ray.  Who knows, but definitely had my heart racing and the biggest fish I ever hooked into.

lowaccord66

« Reply #17 on: Jul 28, 2017, 03:46 PM »
The spot I am hitting tonight I have hooked fish I couldnt turn a few times.  Setup for tonight....11' odm jigster with 10000 saragosa and 300 yards of 55lb and my eel stick 10' Rainshadow custom 1-4oz. Now it time to drive!

stripernut

« Reply #18 on: Jul 28, 2017, 07:29 PM »
Best of luck!

lowaccord66

« Reply #19 on: Jul 29, 2017, 11:37 AM »
So far so good!

They have been eating well:

greenhornet73

« Reply #20 on: Jul 29, 2017, 09:07 PM »
wow nice fish.  Can't wait til September!

CHEZ2

« Reply #21 on: Jul 30, 2017, 08:02 AM »
A few times a year, not really seriously.  Island Beach State Park. Only about a two hour drive, take the wife and beach tent and just enjoy the day.
OH SO IS GREAT!!!!!!!
Ice fished it many times...
Stripers,Blues,Bullnose Rays,and Big DogFish.
I get there 3,  maybe 4 times a year.
I luv the Island....
BEACH HAVEN ISN'T TOO FAR FROM ,IBSP..
IT'S ANOTHER GREAT AREA TO SURF FISH...
ICE GOTTEN MY BIGGEST STRIPER TO DATE THERE.
37LB,ON A clam...
I wish I lived closer.........

gundogwanted

« Reply #22 on: Jul 31, 2017, 07:11 AM »
OH SO IS GREAT!!!!!!!
Ice fished it many times...
Stripers,Blues,Bullnose Rays,and Big DogFish.
I get there 3,  maybe 4 times a year.
I luv the Island....
BEACH HAVEN ISN'T TOO FAR FROM ,IBSP..
IT'S ANOTHER GREAT AREA TO SURF FISH...
ICE GOTTEN MY BIGGEST STRIPER TO DATE THERE.
37LB,ON A clam...
I wish I lived closer.........

The island is great for anything you want to do. A day trip makes for a long day if driving home. I usually go to Point Pleasent and stay the night, (kind of pricey) . Can also fish the channel there if nothing else going on. Also some good food there.
Equal Billing: Crankbait degrees; Typically, the narrower the bill, the tighter the wiggle; the wider the bill, the wider the wobble.

Hocfish

« Reply #23 on: Jul 31, 2017, 07:33 PM »
Lowaccord: 
Love the picture!  Looks like a great fish. I was at that spot two weeks ago catching schoolie bass on the fly. Blues were thick at Wasque, and we caught some decent bass up island. Two year's ago there was epic albie fishing in the Gut.  I typically access it via Chappy because I can hit East Beach as well. 

I have fished the Derby the last 25 years, and absolutely love it. Previously I was a hard core eel-slinger at Squibbie and Stonewall, and didn't pay much attention to the hardtails. Then I caught one on a fly and was addicted. Problem now is when I go out there I fish non-stop around the clock. Albies in morning, blues in the afternoon, bass all night.

This fall I hope to get out there twice, one week per trip.  Look for a white Nissan with a white homemade rod rack on the bed, that's me! 

I love fishing, but surf fishing to me is the absolute best!

Hocfish

« Reply #24 on: Jul 31, 2017, 07:40 PM »
...another thing that is great about fishing the Vineyard.  I have $4K worth of rods/reels on top of my truck.  I can park at a remote beach lot, fish all night, and return to my truck 8 hrs later and everything is untouched. Try that in Pulaski, they'll break your truck window to steal a bobber off your dashboard.

lowaccord66

« Reply #25 on: Aug 01, 2017, 05:38 AM »
Your right about that hocfish...just dont speed to a blitz...cops everywhere!

Bartman44

« Reply #26 on: Aug 01, 2017, 06:54 PM »
Count  me in. I've always did some surf/salt  fishing but have become infatuated with it lately, having had a great 2016 fall on the northeast coast. That, coupled with a few Florida trips for redfish and snook, I'm leaning more salt than fresh lately, all from shore.  Hit Maine and did well in June and had fun with the bluefish on Long Island in May. Don't want to wish summer away but can't wait for the fall push.     

lowaccord66

« Reply #27 on: Aug 01, 2017, 07:20 PM »
Very cool Bartman!  I need to visit montauk this fall.  Its been a few uears since Ive been combat fishing!

Tom Hannock

« Reply #28 on: Aug 02, 2017, 09:52 AM »
Just got back from my annual 4 days in Maine and absolutely crushed the stripers while wading throwing topwater plugs and trolling the tube and worm from the canoe.  Only one keeper bass but just a ton of fun catching many 15" to 20" stripers on my walleye tackle.  No trip would be complete without a couple stops at Bear's Bait in Kennebunk to pick up some worms. 
Friends don't let friends use tipups.

lowaccord66

« Reply #29 on: Aug 02, 2017, 10:17 AM »
More canal for me this weekend!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.