FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Sally and Missy report  (Read 12665 times)

bigr

Re: Sally and Missy report
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2020, 05:57 AM »
Made a quick trip upstream on the Missy. About a mile upstream from the 13 bridge at Sommerset. Water was running clear and the level was just backed up enough for a nice eddy where I fished. Bite was what you normally find when fishing these small eddies. Lots of fast bites from small fish with a keeper mixed in. Caught maybe 25-30 before bite stopped from either cleaning out the hole or spooking the remaining fish. It's that time of year to chase  upstream runners as I call them. The first month or so normally are lots of smaller fish followed by larger fish moving up to spawn. Water color in the Red bridge area was looking real good but there was some skim ice that I'm sure will melt quickly over the next few days. I would expect the Sally to have about the same conditions on it. We look to have a somewhat dry period coming for the next week to ten days so fishing should really pick. Stay tuned for updates. 

bigr

« Reply #16 on: Feb 21, 2020, 08:50 AM »
Both resi's are quickly approaching winter pool again. Should be there by Sunday if not sooner. Corp will be lowering discharge rates each day. The pull(current) in the 105 and red bridge areas will lessen and fish will stack up again. fishing should really pick up each day from now til the next water change. Water color is good and getting better each day but you may find skim ice especially around the 105. Pirates cove and beach area is less likely to freeze over. Red bridge may also have skim ice but again you should be able to find open water in the area. Sunshine and 40's with alittle wind will open things up fast.

bigr

« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2020, 05:10 AM »
Good bite both sat and sunday at both lakes. Lots of nice fish. Hope the rain and cold stay away.

lovetfish

« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2020, 03:34 PM »
seen some caught at 105 today but were small

bigr

« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2020, 05:27 AM »
I've fished the 105 the last two days and have done very well on very nice size fish. Super fat healthy fish. You won't get bored catching fish. Lots of small 6 and 7's but plenty in the 11+ range and a few real heavy big fish in the 14+range. Been weighing some of the biggest and they are running lb to lb and a half and have seen some up to the 2lb range. I think we'll see a lot of 2lb fish this spring if conditions get right at the right time.

RobertFitz

« Reply #20 on: Feb 27, 2020, 08:56 AM »
Myself and a buddy are going to attempt to make it to 105 this sunday since it will be nice out. Thanks for the update big!

lovetfish

« Reply #21 on: Feb 27, 2020, 09:18 AM »
Sally on the way up again will probably get high when all the snow starts melting

RobertFitz

« Reply #22 on: Mar 01, 2020, 06:07 PM »
Lots of people at 105 today. fished from 11 to 3ish and caught one. Lots of people around me catching up limits. Changed colors, size, depth, and got lucky with one.... get um while their hot!

bigr

« Reply #23 on: Mar 02, 2020, 05:27 AM »
Lots of people at 105 today. fished from 11 to 3ish and caught one. Lots of people around me catching up limits. Changed colors, size, depth, and got lucky with one.... get um while there hot!
I fished the west side of the bridge yesterday mostly by myself. Bite was very good and size was also good. If you weren't catching fish you may have been in the current that runs under bridge. Think of the area where people fish as a big eddy which it is when the corp is pulling water. If you notice your bobber drifting your in the current and the fish prefer the slack areas. When the corp lowers the discharge the fish will spread out more and you'll be able to catch them about anywhere. As we get warmer days the fish will begin there moving to shallows and upstream as the water hopefully rises slow. A few bright sunny days and the fish will be in the 1 to 3 foot water depth range and right on shore so those long cast won't be needed.

RobertFitz

« Reply #24 on: Mar 02, 2020, 07:47 AM »
Thanks for the advice big. 3rd season targeting crappie so any advice is welcome. Waiting on a nice day to bring my kids with me and let them reel some in

bigr

« Reply #25 on: Mar 02, 2020, 08:44 AM »
I've learned to use a lot of different tools to increase my chances of catching fish. Understanding what fish do during different times of year. Resi's are totally different than lakes. The Corp of Eng site is probable the site I can get the most useful info from. Saves a lot of visual checking for locations. One thing I did for years was keep a log of my fishing trips. I can just look at past seasons and have a pretty good ideal of what the fish have done in the past and where they should be based on condition similarity.   

chicagill34

« Reply #26 on: Mar 04, 2020, 01:59 PM »
Was just watching Salamonie rise yesterday. There's an old plastic bucket on shore on the west side of 105..I went around the bend towards the bridge to fish for a few and came back and the bucket was partly submerged. I knew it wasn't going to be a good after seeing that..lol

lovetfish

« Reply #27 on: Mar 04, 2020, 04:32 PM »
Tenderloins at Bozarths yesterday was better than fishing

chicagill34

« Reply #28 on: Mar 04, 2020, 05:49 PM »
So that's what smelled so good up there!! Stopped in there to buy some plastic goodies..first time in there,that was a cool store and good selection on crappie baits!!

rivereddy

« Reply #29 on: Mar 04, 2020, 07:35 PM »
It was rolling in at Missy as well yesterday, (3/3/'20).  Serious wind and some spitting snow too. 
The water looked like chocolate milk. The wind blew so hard that I had to chase down a muck boot in the Red Bridge parking lot.  I caught the boot - not so lucky with the fish... I wound up spending most of the time scouting above Somerset

fish on,

rivereddy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.