FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Do I still use the outer seal with the Bearing Buddy?  (Read 4771 times)

taxid

Doesn't seem to be enough clearance to hold the Bearing Buddy in place with the outer seal.

Thanks!

The Youtube videos are great but they are all over the place with and without BB's so it's not clear.

Yeah I know it's probably a stupid question but that's me.

“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

SLAYERFISH

Re: Do I still use the outer seal with the Bearing Buddy?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2023, 11:16 AM »
None of my trailers have EVER had an outer seal :o :-X :-\

taxid

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2023, 11:32 AM »
None of my trailers have EVER had an outer seal :o :-X :-\

Well I think that answers my question!  :D. It's so obvious now! How could the grease come out into the Bearing Buddy if there is an outer seal in the way! Boy do I feel dumb!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Mac Attack

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2023, 03:53 PM »
Like “My Cousin Vinny”…..

My brothers worked as mechanics.
My father was a mechanic.
His father was a mechanic.
I worked in dad’s garage to help pay for college while I was going.

I have done more wheel bearings than I care to admit to.

Anyway, I have never seen an OUTER wheel bearing seal.  Inner seal, inner bearing, outer bearing, washer, castle nut with cotter pin, and the dust cap.  The bearing buddy replaces the dust cap.

taxid

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2023, 08:24 PM »
Still had issues getting the grease fitting off the zerk on the Bearing Buddy copycat.  You can't turn the fitting without unscrewing the assembly off the grease gun.Turning has no effect regardless. I think I got what I paid for at $20.00.

And I had no problem tapping in the BB on one side with rubber mallet and board, but the other side I have given up for the time being and popped the dust cover back on.

fishinator

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2023, 02:35 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're having this much trouble with bearing buddies , are you sure your bearings are set correctly? Hate to see you trash a set of bearings because the end play is set wrong.

taxid

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2023, 09:27 PM »
Don't take this the wrong way, but if you're having this much trouble with bearing buddies , are you sure your bearings are set correctly? Hate to see you trash a set of bearings because the end play is set wrong.

Not taking it the wrong way at all but why would I have a problem with only one side if I did them both the same way? I tightened down the castle nuts all the way to set the bearings and them backed them off until the wheel turned freely. Then put in the cotter pin and next the Bearing Buddy.

TT

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2023, 12:53 AM »
Could you have two different hubs that don’t have the same machined dimensions where you install the buddies? Or maybe the two buddies are not machined the same size. I believe they can be bought in two different sizes.

fishinator

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2023, 07:48 AM »
Not taking it the wrong way at all but why would I have a problem with only one side if I did them both the same way? I tightened down the castle nuts all the way to set the bearings and them backed them off until the wheel turned freely. Then put in the cotter pin and next the Bearing Buddy.
I wasn't suggesting that incorrect bearing installation was why the cap wouldn't  go on. I just meant that installing buddies should be a straight forward process. If you struggled with that, I could see a chance at incorrect bearing adjustment. 

Mac Attack

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2023, 07:54 AM »

Mac Attack

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2023, 07:57 AM »
However, I will ALWAYS replace the bearing outer races and use the new races that came with the new bearings.
I have tried bearing auto greasers of all kind.
I prefer to hand pack, knowing that I know what I'm doing and get grease into every nook and cranny of the bearing.
Spin the wheel/hub when seating the bearings.
Then back off 1/4 turn and insert the cotter pin.

taxid

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2023, 08:56 AM »
However, I will ALWAYS replace the bearing outer races and use the new races that came with the new bearings.
I have tried bearing auto greasers of all kind.
I prefer to hand pack, knowing that I know what I'm doing and get grease into every nook and cranny of the bearing.
Spin the wheel/hub when seating the bearings.
Then back off 1/4 turn and insert the cotter pin.

Thanks Mac. I guess I need to go in and replace one of races that had some pitting in it vs. the other side which is smooth. I tried briefly with a large screwdriver and was not successful. Rather than damage it and not be able to get it out I left it in. I did everything that was done in the video you posted.

taxid

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2023, 09:17 AM »
Could you have two different hubs that don’t have the same machined dimensions where you install the buddies? Or maybe the two buddies are not machined the same size. I believe they can be bought in two different sizes.

If the parts were made in China anything is possible.* But both are the same size 1 1/16th inch.

* My bother was a comptroller for a company that made machined parts for the automotive industry. Due to their competitor farming out some of their work to China, my brother's company was forced to do that to stay competitive. It didn't last. The quality sucked.

taxid

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2023, 09:19 AM »
I wasn't suggesting that incorrect bearing installation was why the cap wouldn't  go on. I just meant that installing buddies should be a straight forward process. If you struggled with that, I could see a chance at incorrect bearing adjustment.

No worries. I agree it should be quite easy but...

lowaccord66

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2023, 12:46 PM »
Reminder to self...self replace entire stratos hub vs just the bearings....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.