FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Question on 4 strokes  (Read 3139 times)

grumpymoe

Question on 4 strokes
« on: May 07, 2006, 09:11 PM »
Last year I purchased a new boat and 4stroke Mercury. Maintenance suggestion is to change the oil and filter every 100 hrs or once per season. this is the frustrating part. I asked the service manager about using a full synthetic motor oil.....to which he replied, we recommend Merc outboard 4stroke oil and have no information at this time regarding other oils. I use Mobil SuperSyn in the car and have every intention of using it in the Merc. (0w40)....heck....if its factory fill in Porsche and Mercedes Benz AMG, why not?  at $11.50 a litre I think its well worth the protection......your thoughts...Grump

Bailbuster

Re: Question on 4 strokes
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 05:56 AM »
If it is still under warranty, I would use what is specked in manual,after that it would be my choice.BB

Ice Dawg

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 08:17 AM »
While the outboard is still under warranty do as the owners manual says. After that any thing goes. I run a Merc synthetic blend in my Merc 150 and it is recomended. I only have about 6 hrs on it. I have a 5 year warranty, so I will be using it for 5 years.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

grumpymoe

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 10:21 AM »
appreciate the input everyone...I am a service manager with GM and understand the qualities of synthetics...the motor is under warranty for 5 more years....looking for a reason I cannot use a higher quality oil and Mercury wont give me the answer....Grump

Ice Dawg

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 04:18 PM »
Grump, I think they use any excuse to void a warranty if you have major problems. My neighbor  blew his 2 stroke lawn mower up and they wouldn't warranty it because he wasn't using the right brand name of oil. I talked to a petroleum engineer at Amzoil at one time and he said that if I was using their brand of synthetic they would back me up. He said they would make the manufacturer prove that the damage was caused by using Amzoil. Interesting post though.  ???

Grimace

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 05:54 PM »
go with the merc synthetic and pay thru the nose until the warranty is up.  after that your free.    kinda makes you wish it was only under warranty for 3 years  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ice Dawg

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 08:19 PM »
go with the merc synthetic and pay thru the nose until the warranty is up.  after that your free.    kinda makes you wish it was only under warranty for 3 years  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Two of those years were a Merc promotion and I can buy a lot of that expensive oil for the price of a two year extended warranty.   ;D ;)

pirkaus

• Have you ever been too drunk to fish?
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 06:17 AM »
Make sure the engine is fully broken in and then switch to synthetic oil
As for warranty using another brand oil in the proper viscosity should not void the warranty
I work at a tractor dealership and legally you can not void a warranty for oil unless it is the in proper oil
(wrong viscosity, not diesel grade) and then I would have to prove the oil caused the failure
Most engine failure are caused by in proper maintenance
2 strokes need the correct mix too rich or too lean can cause engine failure
Are you confused now
If the rule is 5 fish or 5 pounds, what if the 5th fish weighs 5 pounds?

grumpymoe

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2006, 04:39 PM »
Update....phoned the Mobil1 toll-free number and talked to a technical rep....(Exxon  ::))...apparently it "should" be okay to use, but it hasnt been tested nor approved for use in 4strokes...it "should" be okay, but............I guess I wont....its not about price....just looking to protect MY investment....so I will suck it up and buy THEIR brand......... :-\ :-\....good thing car manufacturers dont run their business the same way outboard companies do...Grump(ier)  >:(

Dr. IceGeek

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2006, 08:00 PM »
I would be really surprised if the techs at the local marinas can tell mobil syn oil from any other type of oil (synthetic or not) once it has a few hours on it and it starts to fill with hydrocarbon by-products....use whatever you want.  The chemical composition of almost all oils are the same with minor differences depending on additives...sounds like a way to get you to run "their" brand of oil to me

grumpymoe

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2006, 08:09 PM »
The chemical composition of almost all oils are the same with minor differences depending on additives...sounds like a way to get you to run "their" brand of oil to me
....I have been in the automotive business for over 30 yrs and fully "understand" proper maintenance....and this issue is what really bothers me...high quality oil that I have already purchased and have supreme faith in....be da_ned the corporate greedy companies for pushing only THEIR "tested" brand.....THATS IT.....in goes the Mobil1 SuperSyn...heck...at this point in time just for heckery I would almost be willing to run adulterated olive oil to prove a point....thanks everyone for listening and posting your thoughts....Grump

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.