FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Water Wolf's adventures - Pike patrol <*})))>{  (Read 9641 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Re: Water Wolf's adventures - Fishin' on Friday the 13th >*})))>{
« Reply #15 on: Jul 14, 2007, 03:30 PM »
My uncle and I went shore fishing yesterday, Friday the 13th. :blink:

It was a nice day with sunny skies and +25 deg C. weather. We fished from 5:30pm until 10:00pm. The only bit of bad luck I encountered in that time was when I lost my new spoon on only the 5th cast. As I cast the the line wound around the tip and "snap" the spoon sailed smoothly into the blue and was gone. :P

I retied another spoon, and in 5 min., I was battling a little walleye roughly a foot long. A quick hi and good bye and it was off. :)

At the end of the day I manged 4 fish (3 walleye & 1 pike) and my uncle caught 3 (2 pike & 1 walleye).

This is the fish that went home with us, note the unusual looking pike that I caught on the right. 8)

The pike on the left was 20 and the walleye was 18 inches. The normal pike was 25 7/8th inches and the unusual pike was 25 3/4 inches.

The group close up

Here is a close up of the unusual pike. All of it's fins were a clear yellowish color. The mottled blotches, so common in a normal pike, were absent. It's body was lighter from the pelvic fins back.

This pike had one more supprise for me. As I was filleting the fish I saw something drop out of the fillet.  To my surprise it was a tag / implant transmitter. :o

I have never heard of fish being tagged in this body of water, but, further West, is a larger lake that has had a pike tagging operation running for a number of years. Perhaps with all the high water this year the pike may have made it's way from the big lake to the smaller spawing lake, and, after the spawn, became turned around and instead of moving West to the big lake it entered the creek that now joins the two.

I am very curious as to why the pike would have such an unusual coloration, could it be due to the implant, the water clarity, or genetics such as albino or silver pike genes? Does anyone have a theory?

This is the second fish I have caught with a tag/implant. The first was this winter while icefishing. It was Feb. 19th/ 2007. Like the other tag, I will send this one to the Sask. Environment field office along with a brief description. 
I am still waiting for info. on the first pike.  Hopfully they will send info. on both of them.

All the fish were caught on spoons, the unusual pike was on a Len Thompson 5 of diamonds.

So all & all Friday the 13th was a good day. ! ! ! ;D

WW

TGF

• MFF Mod Team
  • I still got my eye on you guys...
Re: Water Wolf's adventures - Pike patrol <*})))>{
« Reply #16 on: Jul 14, 2007, 05:35 PM »
Great pics WW. Good thing you didn't swallow that implant :o

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #17 on: Jul 14, 2007, 07:23 PM »
That's really an unusual colour for a pike, very yellow!  Until I saw the implant, I wondered if it was a diseased fish or something, but now I'm thinking that maybe the implanted RF tag interfered with it's normal liver function, and caused it to become jaundiced and yellow from non-excreted bile??  I hope Sask. Environment Dep't. comes back to you with an explanation of the tag. 

Water Wolf

« Reply #18 on: Jul 17, 2007, 01:07 AM »
Thanks TGF and Skiff. :)

LOL, your right TGF, I would hate to turn the color of that pike. :w00t:

Interesting theory Skiff, it is an ultrasonic transmitter so it may bother the fish's organs, not really sure. :-\
All the organs did appear normal.

WW

trapper2003

« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2007, 07:22 AM »
i have caught many discolored fish weather it's due to water or temp i don't know but i would contact the dec in reguard to the tag and let us know i find it interesting

Water Wolf

« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2007, 11:56 AM »
That is very possible trapper.
The pike may have been trapped in the smaller creek between the lakes for a time before it made it's way to the lake I caught it in. Those creeks would warm up a lot uncomfortable warm for a pike and may have caused a heat stress color change. It could also be a combination of the heat stress and the stress of the transmitter in it, lots of possibilities with this pike. :)

One bit of info I did learn:
There were only 10 pike with this ultrasonic transmitter implanted in them, and I caught 2 of the 10. One in the lake they were originally tagged last icefishing season, and the other the other day in another lake to the East.
What are the odds of that happening? :o

mttrout

« Reply #21 on: Jul 18, 2007, 04:38 PM »
Nice fish Water Wolf...looks like fun!

Water Wolf

Re: Water Wolf's adventures - Warm Weather Fishin' <*})))>{
« Reply #22 on: Jul 19, 2007, 02:39 PM »
Thanks mttrout, it was fun. and on Tuesday July 17th we got to try it again. :)

The fishing has been a bit slow lately, it may be due to the intense heat we have been having, the North winds or a combination of them both, but whatever it was the fish are very negative. Even frozen minnows and live earthworms are being rejected. :-\

I had a few halfhearted strikes but that was it, my uncle on the other hand did better, catching these two on a slow rolling spoon. :)

The walleye went back and the pike (4.5lbs) stayed.

The lake was like glass. I love those types of fishing days/evenings. ;D
It will make a good wallpaper for my computer.

WW

mttrout

« Reply #23 on: Jul 19, 2007, 02:46 PM »
Nice work ;D

perch-man

« Reply #24 on: Jul 19, 2007, 04:33 PM »
Great pics looks like you had a great evening ,thanks forv sharing.

Big Burk

« Reply #25 on: Jul 27, 2007, 02:14 AM »
nice mess of walleye's and pike :)

crappieslayer22

• the kayak fisherman
« Reply #26 on: Jul 27, 2007, 06:53 AM »
hey maby you should eat that implant and then drive down a major high way and seee what they think..lol    but serisouly they could been monitering the fishes vitales to diffrent water temps or the food they eat or there enviroment conditions reactions...i really dont know  but its a guess b/c thats what they do to wales...
Loren .W.

Water Wolf

« Reply #27 on: Jul 28, 2007, 02:05 PM »
Thanks mttrout, perch-man, Big Burk and crappieslayer22. :)

LOL, I don't think I would want to eat that implant but if they were monitoring the fish they would see it leave the lake, move through the bush and travel down the road. :laugh:
I am not exactly sure how the implants function, but I do know that it is an ultrasonic transmitter and there was a group monitoring the pike's movements from the spawing lake to the main lake. The group wanted to see how long the fish would take to reach the spawing grounds. This spawing lake is a few km's away and I think they said it took the pike anywhere from 3 to 7 days to reach it. The really big egg laden females took the longest.

Speaking of pike, my uncle and I did some fishing yesterday evening.
It was a hot day yesterday with temps in the +30 deg C / 86 F, so the best thing to do on such a hot day is to find a cool shady spot by the lake with the breeze blowing. That's what we did.

On the very first cast my uncle hooks up with a hammer handle pike, I didn't even have my lure on yet. :laugh:
It went back.

Over the course of the evening we landed 5 more pike and had 7 shake loose just before being netted. Some of the strikes were a mere 5 feet from shore. I had one little pike follow me in 3 times in a row, and each time it would grab the front of the spoon instead of the end. My uncle also landed 2 fish in a row. I was just unhooking the first, placing it in the water, and, "thump", another on. :)
There were no subtle strikes last night they hit it with all they had, and never gave up fighting all the way in with jumps, shakes and dives. The jumps and shakes were what tossed the lures free.

Here are the 4 that came home with us.

I managed to land the big one of the night at 25.5"and 5 lbs ;D.

We left just as the mosquitoes started to come out. :P

On the way home I took a look at my cottage to see if the water level has dropped. The good news is that it has a bit, the new channel seems to be working. When they get the two channels going it should be really good. :thumbup_smilie:

There was large dead white sucker under the steps of the deck.
It must have blew in with the waves, and from the looks of it, was there for some time. ::)

We also checked out the newly dug channel and found a new bridge over it now.
The # 310 highway is operational again. 8)

WW

ULTRAlite

• 24" Bowz or Bust...
« Reply #28 on: Jul 29, 2007, 01:08 PM »
Looks like a good haul for the summer heat - love to hear from ya when you get some info back on the tag - I've never seen one before...

Water Wolf

« Reply #29 on: Aug 01, 2007, 02:15 PM »
Thanks ULTRAlite, I was happy to see the fishing biting despite the heat. I will let everyone know what I learn. I hope they send me info on the.
I am still waiting for info. on the last tag and that was Feb. ::)

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.