FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Water Wolf's adventures - Pike patrol <*})))>{  (Read 9643 times)

Water Wolf

• BE YOURSELF - everyone else is taken.
Re: Water Wolf's adventures - Pike patrol <*})))>{
« Reply #30 on: Aug 07, 2007, 02:18 PM »
As I was driving to a fishing spot yesterday I snapped these photos of this mule deer buck out standing in his field. :)

I was only fishing for 25 min this long weekend but in that time I landed 2 pike, one on the 3rd cast and the other as I was leaving.
The ripples you see on the waters surface are rain drops.

The two pike not have been giants at 12 and 15 inches but they were welcome. ;D   
Both of them went back to fight another day. ;)

WW

Josh12

« Reply #31 on: Aug 07, 2007, 02:40 PM »
What color of spoons do you use for walleye?

Water Wolf

« Reply #32 on: Aug 09, 2007, 09:33 PM »
Josh, for the pike and walleye I use red / yellow, red / white and orange / black most of the time.

Silver / orange, chartruce yellow and firetiger are good colors to.

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #33 on: Aug 26, 2007, 08:29 PM »
It's been a while since I have had some time to fish, so yesterday I did some shore fishing for a few hours in the afternoon until evening.

It was a bit windy with some waves but generally not too bad, just enough to stir up the bottom and floating algae causing less light in the water.
The fishing was not to bad, I caught 1 fish every hour.
At the end of the day I caught and released 1 walleye and 3 pike. :)

I start the afternoon with this walleye.

You can't really see it in this photo, but along with the white spot on the base of the walleye's tail, it also had a white spot on the top, kind of neat. 8)

This is the first pike of the day.

Followed by the big one of the day at 5 lbs.

This poor pike was in rough shape, it's tail fin was split in several places and it had small part of it's snout split from a fish hook, the wound looked to be an old one.

This pike ended the day for me.

The fish where hitting really hard yesterday. You didn't have to wonder if it was a weed or a fish this time. :laugh:

They were hitting a variety of lures, the walleye and the first pike went for a large spoon, the big pike for a dead herring under a float and the last pike a double tail grub.

This is the sight I saw as I left the lake.

WW

Big Burk

« Reply #34 on: Aug 27, 2007, 11:36 PM »
nice pictures

Water Wolf

« Reply #35 on: Sep 09, 2007, 01:14 AM »
Thanks Big Burk. :)

I went fishing yesterday afternoon to the Whitesand reservoir.
It was a nice day, water was like glass and mild weather but unfortunately something put the fish in a finicky mood.

I shore fished most of the afternoon with only a tiny 8 inch pike landed on my second cast. :D
I had lots of little nips and short strikes from tiny pike and perch.  I wish I would have had few stinger hooks with me. :P
The anglers in the boats where not catching any better - only little perch to show for their afternoons efforts.
Some of the shore anglers caught perch, most looked to be around the 5 - 8 inch mark.
One lucky angler, beside me, caught a good perch 12 - 13 inches long.

If I had to rate the whitesand reservoir right now it would be pike poor, walleye  poor and perch fair.

In the end I did get one keeper pike. :)

I also caught a new pickerel rig. :laugh:

On the way home I spotted a large cow moose in a slough, she was a big girl. :o
I tried to get a photo of her but she quickly disappeared into the bush.

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #36 on: Oct 11, 2007, 02:48 AM »
It's been a while since I have been fishing, so on the long weekend, I went for 3 days.

Day 1. Sunday Oct. 7th.
My partners and I went fishing for part of the afternoon.
We launch the boat and load up.

The day started out nice, with calm water and blue skys.

An hour into the fishing I land my first fish of the day on a spoon. :)

This pike was 23.7 inches and 3.7lbs.

Right after I landed the fish the sun went behind the clouds and it got cold and windy.

Besides 3 nibbles the pike was the only fish of the day. ::)

After we left the lake we though we would swing by Fishing Lake and see how the clean up and construction at the lake was going. There is a crew building berms along all of the beaches around Fishing Lake. The idea is to create a seperation between the flooded cabins and the lake. The flooded cabins will be pumped out, and demolished if need be.
Here is a shot of one of the berms.

This is a multi million dollar task, they hope to be done most of the major construction by ice up.

Day 2. Thanksgiving.
I decided to try the Whitesand Reservoir, so in the afternoon I did some shorefishing.
Along the way to the lake I saw a few moose tracks on the grid road, I was hoping to see the owner.

I set up along the shore.  I was the only one out there that day. :)

About an hour into my fishing I hook this hammer handle pike on a spoon.

This little nipper was 12 inches long, it had a nasty slice in it's back, perhaps another fish grabbed it. :pinch:

In the late afternoon, I saw a very large black object swimming from one shore to the other, a regular lake monster. :o

The lake monster turned out to be a big moose. It was a very strong swimmer and moved at the speed of a trolling motor. :w00t:

It clambered up the steep bank and rested in the trees, as soon as it saw me it slowly walked into the deep bush. 8)

This was quite the day for wildlife, all afternoon flocks of ducks, geese and swans fed and rested in the water just beond my casting distance, they were not worried at all.
Towards evening 5 coyotes let rip with there songs.  They carred on for 5 min or so, shortly afterwards one came down to the shore across from me and picked up what I think was a dead duck.

Just before I left I caught another pike, this one was bigger, and a good eating size.  This one fell for me flipping a tube jig. :azn:

It was 24.5 inches long and 4.2 lbs. It was missing a pelvic fin, looks like it never devloped. :-\

On the way out I spot a ruffed grouse near the road way. I snap a photo before it disappears into the willows. :)

Day 3. Oct. 9th.
This was a bonus trip, I had some business in Melville that day. As always I had a rod and tackle box with me and decided to try the Melville Reservoir for and hour.

Beside the North East corner of the Reservoir is a mounment to a young out door enthusist who passed away. His family dedcated a fishing dock in his memory.

I have never fished this area before and was unsure what fish were there, so I decided to try smaller lures as most fish should go for them.  I could see alot of fish jumping all around me, were there trout present? ???

I had a few nibbles throughout the hour but just at the end I got a solid strike.  I set the hook and was into something. :-\
It turned out to be a nice chunky 3 lb walleye on a little banana bait. 8)

I snap a quick photo of it and send it on it's way. :)

All in all it was an interesting couple of days, I saw lots of country and wildlife and found a few fish along the way, at least I warded off the Skunk.

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksging and Columbus Day.

WW

Water Wolf

« Reply #37 on: Oct 22, 2007, 05:59 PM »
Hi all,

I went fishing for 2 hours yesterday afternoon.
It was sunny, but very windy and chilly and too windy for the small boat so I decided to shore fishing instead.

About 10 min into the fishing I hook this pike. :)

The fish seem to be active but not striking aggressively. I receive a few light hits but nothing major, 20 min before I quit for the day another strike and another pike.

A final shot of the 2 pike.;D

They were 4 and 2 lbs and both fell for a spoon.

WW

teacherd

« Reply #38 on: Mar 11, 2008, 06:44 PM »
nice pike

Pike_Hunter

« Reply #39 on: Apr 08, 2008, 02:51 PM »
my #1 Pike lure is a 3in firetiger spoon i catch atleast 1 everytime i use it.during spawn season i use topwater frogs in the milafoil..works awesome can't wait to get out there...

Water Wolf

« Reply #40 on: Apr 10, 2008, 04:26 PM »
Thanks teacherd. :)

I hear you Pike_Hunter.
I did alot of shore fishing last year and found the spoons were the best lure to really get out to the deeper waters, and I caught a fair number with them too.
I hope it's the same this year.

Can't wait for the 2008 season opener on May 3rd. ;D

I hope there is some open water by then, will defiantly be nip and tuck. :-\

WW

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.