FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: How true  (Read 2689 times)

Doubles Shooter

How true
« on: Feb 23, 2020, 08:52 AM »

oatkasut

Re: How true
« Reply #1 on: Feb 26, 2020, 11:01 PM »
I could never understand that either! :o :o

tomturkey

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2020, 05:50 PM »
They can't reel with their left hand. The few times I have been out trolling with my buddy on Lake Michigan I would be the first to see a fish strike. I would grab the rod with my right hand. When I went to set the hook I tried to get a hold of the handle on the reel with my left hand. I missed every strike as the reels were all right handed. I learned to just holler fish on.

All off my reels are left handed. I prefer to fight a fish with my strong arm which is my right.

Unclegillhunter

• Green grass and high times forever!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2020, 11:33 AM »
Don’t think it is a matter of can’t reel with the left hand as much as right hand retrieve reels are what we learned to fish with. The first reel I was fishing with is a Zebco 77, right hand retrieve. It has been knocking around with me for 61 years. Have a couple of bait casters form the same era, right hand retrieve. For years now you can decide weather you want left or right hand retrieve. Guess my left arm is strong enough. PB blue catfish with a Zebco 202 8# test mono, 38# Have yet to meet the panfish that my left arm is not able to subdue!  :-*
Keep it safe! JDL
Keep it safe! JDL

FishGut

« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2020, 08:31 PM »
Changing a handle from left to right on a spinning reel takes less than fifteen seconds.

I saw a high school kid holding a spincasting reel upside down and reeling backwards the other day. I think the problem is that there aren't enough mentors stepping in to lead 'em in the right direction

Doubles Shooter

« Reply #5 on: Mar 10, 2020, 06:37 AM »
Changing a handle from left to right on a spinning reel takes less than fifteen seconds.

I saw a high school kid holding a spincasting reel upside down and reeling backwards the other day. I think the problem is that there aren't enough mentors stepping in to lead 'em in the right direction

Exactly. A minute or two showing and explaining things doesn't cost anything and most appreciate the help. I got a chuckle out of that picture.

gotagetm

« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2020, 06:45 AM »
i have lost most of my fingers on left hand so when i ordered all my okuma line counters they came left handed cause i have to hold rod in right hand ,its funny when i take someone new out on erie and they grab rod when fish on and they fumble a bit to get used to it

icemole

« Reply #7 on: Mar 10, 2020, 12:53 PM »
  As for the picture I've learned a few that I've come across .... you can almost see the light bulb going on !  Blows their minds even worse if I switch the handle ;D

When I took up the baitcaster..... the only style sold locally was cast with the right arm, switch arms and reel with the right. Around here in the mid 90's they started to sell "Left Handed" baitcasters - cast with right arm and reel with left arm (no switching).....Too late for me it just don't feel natural... LOL

seamonkey84

« Reply #8 on: Mar 10, 2020, 03:52 PM »
One of my fishing buddies does this! Then he only fishes senkos wacky style, throws it out and lets it sit like he’s fishing a live worm. He catches more bass than most people I know, It drives me nuts!
For my baitcaster reel, I went and sought out a “left handed” reel so I could reel with my left lol.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

tomturkey

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11, 2020, 06:36 AM »

I would like to see you change the handles on my favorite reels, Shakespeare 2052  and 2062. They can not be changed!

slipperybob

« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2020, 04:06 AM »
Wait till you see the guy who's trying to cast the open face spinning reel and has the whole drag knob turned off...trying to get the spool to spin while casting out...
Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

lowaccord66

« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2020, 09:12 PM »
I have proactively switched handles for people and have experienced that mind blown look.  As much as its fun to laugh and joke when i see it, I wouldn't want anyone else to leave me hanging like that. 

seamonkey84

« Reply #12 on: Apr 02, 2020, 12:06 AM »
I have proactively switched handles for people and have experienced that mind blown look.  As much as its fun to laugh and joke when i see it, I wouldn't want anyone else to leave me hanging like that.
My buddy knows he’s can switch the handle... he’s just too use to it  ::) he also won’t pick up a fly rod (even though he took a casting class), he won’t even try to reel in a fish while we’re trolling with my fly rod.
"You know when they have a fishing show on TV? They catch the fish and then let it go. They don't want to eat the fish, they just want to make it late for something." - Mitch Hedberg

havejigwilltravel

« Reply #13 on: Apr 10, 2020, 03:55 PM »
a Yayhoo

Unclegillhunter

• Green grass and high times forever!
« Reply #14 on: Apr 12, 2020, 09:53 AM »
One thing I have noticed and I am not saying anything about younger vs older. Most younger fisher folks have had the ability to choose left or right hand retrieve. Recently went fishing with a nephew in-law. He had pretty heavy gear for the lite biting crappie we were into. Offered him the use of a saint croix panfish set up first thing he says do you mind if I switch the handle. Since I was planning to make a present of the rig to him I said sure. I have actually tried a left hand retrieve setup. Like another poster said just didn’t feel right!
Keep it safe! JDL
Keep it safe! JDL

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.