FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Dipsy Diver Braid Pound Test  (Read 754 times)

FishyMeister

Dipsy Diver Braid Pound Test
« on: Feb 11, 2024, 07:39 PM »
Hey all,

I am wondering what pound test braided line folks use for dipsy divers. I am planning on fishing one for the first time this summer. I was thinking 15lb test braid (and 10lb flouro for the leader) would probably be safe but am willing to run 20lb if need be. Seems like the great lakes guys use anywhere from 30 to 60lb braid. That seems overkill for salmon and trout in Maine to me. Any thoughts?

I am planning on picking up a Daiwa great lakes trolling rod for the diver. They have a medium power, moderate action model available that I have been looking at. Looks like most people use a medium heavy rod since the diver creates so much drag. That seems like overkill for Maine lake trout and salmon as well. Medium may be a little light for a diver but as long as it won't break I am willing to use it in order to have a more fun fight than I would with a medium heavy. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

gotagetm

Re: Dipsy Diver Braid Pound Test
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2024, 10:19 PM »
I use 30# power pro directly to dipsey and floral carbon leader 14,# in lake erie NY

Mac Attack

« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2024, 10:37 PM »
I use 30# power pro directly to dipsey and floral carbon leader 14,# in lake erie NY

I pretty much used the same.
Some might have had 25# braid.
My floro leader was always 12-14#

Same setup worked for spring browns and coho in Lake Ontario too.

fishinjohn

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:24 AM »
I'll echo the posts prior!!
30# power pro with fluorocarbon leader..
Personally I would stick with a dipsy rod   You'll find the spine in a dipsy rod is a little better and it's needed!! I'm sure a regular medium action rod would work just fine but there is Alot of CONSTANT drag on the rod for hours and hours.. I had some old rods I just r replaced last year and they had a permanent bend on them from all the years of pulling dipsys.
Okuma dipsy rod is only $48 on Amazon and worth it imo

Mac Attack

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2024, 08:18 AM »

Personally I would stick with a dipsy rod   You'll find the spine in a dipsy rod is a little better and it's needed!! I'm sure a regular medium action rod would work just fine but there is Alot of CONSTANT drag on the rod for hours and hours.. I had some old rods I just r replaced last year and they had a permanent bend on them from all the years of pulling dipsys.
Okuma dipsy rod is only $48 on Amazon and worth it imo

Great advice!

FishyMeister

« Reply #5 on: Feb 14, 2024, 05:08 PM »
Thanks all! Sounds like 25-30lb is the way to go. I did a little more reading on it and it seems like people go with line this heavy due to the high drag of the divers. Another benefit seems to be that if you get caught on bottom, just your leader will break and you won't lose your dipsy. Does that sound right? Just making sure I am buying the right stuff for central/northern Maine rather than the Great Lakes.

I like the idea of the Okuma Classic Pro GLT. I didn't realize some of those were made for divers. I am thinking the 9' medium power moderate action will be perfect for what I want. Thanks for the advice! The Daiwa I was looking at was the same power and action but not necessarily made for a diver. Think there will be a huge difference?

fishinjohn

« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2024, 10:14 AM »
Accurate thoughts on the main line being heavier than your leader... once you start using dipsys, you'll quickly understand how much pull/tension they have on a rod/main line!!!
Honeslty it doesn't matter if you're fishing in Maine or a great lake.. The pull of a dipsy is the same!! 
As far as the Daiwa vs the okuma..
I don't think short term you'd notice a difference, but I do think after a couple seasons of constant use, you'd find the rod built for a dipsy is "probably" going to give you better results!!

Also.. make sure you adjust the ltension pull  on the dipsy to where you want it!!! Super easy to adjust .. I've done it on the fly in the boat many times... to stiff and it won't trip and it'll make it tougher to reel in!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.