FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Seneca lake in October  (Read 1541 times)

wheredawaldos

Seneca lake in October
« on: Sep 23, 2015, 10:50 AM »
Hello everyone, I am taking a weekend trip to Seneca on October 9th and wondering if anyone can help point me in the direction of where to start looking for perch schools. I fished the lake once before and it was a bust, I'll be staying at Sampson state park with my wife and nine year old. Tha KS for any help.

wheredawaldos

Re: Seneca lake in October
« Reply #1 on: Sep 23, 2015, 04:09 PM »
To clarify I'd just like general depths to start at in the boat. Or any other advice, I'm usually an Erie perch angler. Thanks.

ecolt14527

« Reply #2 on: Sep 23, 2015, 09:06 PM »
Tough time of year for perch, the perch are scattered and not in tight schools until later. When I fish Oct. perch I fish very tight to shore, I talking about being in ten feet of water and tossing a jig into a foot of water. Many perch this time of year are inside the weed line and feeding on young of the year crawfish. Before the arrival of zebra mussels and other unwanted creatures, perch did school in Seneca and other Finger Lakes. Now what to use: 16 oz. jig with a two inch plastic. Colors should be green, pumpkinseed or motoroil.  Use 4 lb. mono and drag the jig along the bottom VERY SLOW !! Also, I like to bend the hook up about a quarter of a inch, gives you a better hook set. If you are going to try live bait, minnows, get outside the weed beds in 17 to 25 fow and drift. The perch activity in the Finger Lakes is no where like Lake Erie !! By the way, I was written up in Outdoor life back in the early 90's fishing perch on Seneca lake. Things have changed much since then !!
    Good luck !!

Retired ECO

ecolt14527

« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2015, 09:09 PM »
Correction: 1/16 oz. jig. Sorry about that !! I believe a 16 oz. jig would kill them with the splash !!

Retired ECO

wheredawaldos

« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2015, 07:01 AM »
I appreciate the info that will help a lot as its not what I wold have guessed!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.