FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: boneless northern pike  (Read 7850 times)

grumpymoe

boneless northern pike
« on: Jun 01, 2004, 06:58 PM »
thank you everyone for your patience with this post....i chose to leave some pics a little larger than normal so you can see the ease of doing these tasty filets..i like to slab all my fish regardless of specie and get rid of the bulk...you may choose to wipe your northerns down first to remove the protective skin cover...a little vinegar and water with a paper towel works great  then you remove the flesh from the skin the same as any other fish  the remove the rib cage  now you can see and feel the start of the ybones....with your fingers...they extend to the vent  now with a very sharp knife....slice from the edge of the ybones at a 45 degree angle to the outer edge...you dont slice completely through  you can feel and see they ybones with your sharp knife  now slice down approximately 1/4"...practice with larger fish makes perfect from the vent to the front of the filetnow you can cut at a 90 degree angle straight out the the outer edge of your first cut  now you can rip or lift out your strip containing all of the ybones  your bones are now out  now you have your completely boneless filet now dip your towel dried filets in beaten eggs and then into seasoned cornflake crumbs  and the into the mouth of a hungry angler (big walleye)    ;D ;D

slipbob

Re: boneless northern pike
« Reply #1 on: Jun 02, 2004, 03:41 PM »
Fine job gm.   The guests seem pleased with their dinner and that beer on the table looks oh so fine.  ;)

Jigwiggler

« Reply #2 on: Jun 02, 2004, 04:15 PM »
Great pictorial Grump!!   ;D  Looks quite simple.
May your doorknobs smell of fish!!

fozsey

« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2004, 11:04 AM »
Hey,

Howcum you didn't have some of your shooms with your NP?? JK Great Pics Grumpy. I never tried to clean one of those b4. Now I know where to go to learn.  ;)

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2004, 11:12 AM »
fozsey.....never would spoil a tasty fish fry with shrooms....now poached fish....that's a different story....grump 8)

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #5 on: Jun 07, 2004, 09:03 AM »
Great series of pictures, you can't go wrong with a pictorial like that!  From now on, my pike fillets will never have another Y-bone.   

trapperdirk

« Reply #6 on: Jun 07, 2004, 02:25 PM »
Good pictorial Grumpymoe. I do my pike just about like that too . Mind you the guests such as  Big Walleye get the boney fillets. Only thing you can do to them to slow them down in the eating so I get my share too . ;D
The bush is not a passion , it's in my soul.

TD

fozsey

« Reply #7 on: Jun 07, 2004, 04:03 PM »
So thats how that works....LMAO  ;D

Do they get the T-Bone thats a little on the sandy side too? ;D

Barleydog

• Wishin' I was a fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Jun 07, 2004, 04:54 PM »
Bravo Moe!  Nicely done.  Only thing missing is a side order of morels! ;D ;D  We need to get this placed on the top of the northern pike board?!?!  What do you say Scott?

Skiff

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Just relaxin' on the Red
« Reply #9 on: Jun 30, 2004, 10:27 AM »
Last night for supper my wife and I had the first northern pike I've ever prepared boneless.  It was great with no Y-bones!  Thanks for the pictures!  :)

Trophy Hunter639

« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2004, 10:44 PM »
GRUMP YOU ARE THE MAN!!!! WITH THOSE INSTRUCTIONS I GOT PERFECT BONELESS FILETS FOR THE FIRST TIME!!!!! AMAZING!!! :o 8)

The Rocket

« Reply #11 on: Nov 28, 2004, 10:00 PM »
WOW Grump!!! You did a great job with the pics, and instructions!! Great Job!!
I can't wait to try it on my first pike. Looks like Big Walleye left the table happy ;D
Grump, You need to come down to Colorado and have some of my Dad's Fried Crappie!!
And some homeade White and Red Wine!!!

P.S. Bring Big Walleye ;D We usually make seval pounds of fried fish!

Rocket>
You can either be the type of person that spends a saturday watching Dr. Phil, eating tofu in your bachelor appartment, or you can be the type that goes fishing.... Your call....The bass are biting...

archbishop

« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2005, 10:25 AM »
thanks for the step by step i just got my first pike under the ice and your directions were followed exactly and from 8 pike not one bone was complained about great post and thanks :thumbup_smilie:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.