FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Breading mix for Walleyes  (Read 12968 times)

Semper Fi

Breading mix for Walleyes
« on: Mar 18, 2004, 05:00 PM »
Anyone willing to share their recipes for breading walleyes? I'm heading to Canada later this spring for some walleye fishing like it used to be and would like to try something on the walleyes other than the old standbys.

Semper Fi :D
I worked all my life and retired to hunt and fish. What a good investment!!

broken rod

• CPR
Re: Breading mix for Walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2004, 05:29 PM »
 i use crushed kornflakes  :o
tight lines, chuck

dachmation

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #2 on: Mar 18, 2004, 06:35 PM »
I use crushed Ritz crackers.

Mike
""TIGHT LINES"

fulltmedad

• Retired MFF Mod
  • Massachusetts Goatboys
« Reply #3 on: Mar 18, 2004, 07:53 PM »
I use equal parts of pancake mix and corn meal. The best pancake mix is the one that says to use oil and an egg...not the one that only takes water. The pancake mix gives the fish a slightly sweet taste and the corn meal makes it crunchy.
I have also found that if you bleed the fish out on the way back in, the meat tends to be whiter and better tasting. I cut the throats and toss them back in the live well...letting the pump run, by the time I'm ready to clean them the fillets come out beautiful.
FTD

grumpymoe

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2004, 08:22 PM »
nothing worse than a spoiled shore lunch.  :P :P :P sorry guys, but the best way is to dip fresh filets in egg wash, and then roll in cornflake crumbs. then its into the HUGE frying pan preheated with peanut oil and deepfryed in about 1 minute tops, and onto the plate with a cool wobbly pop. for a side plate, homefries ( canadian style)  potatoes with skin on, 1/8 thed and just before removing, dump 1/4 sliced onions in for ummmmmm flavor. season with lawry salt and dig in.............anyone for shorelunch?????? grump

fozsey

« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2004, 09:17 AM »
I use Kentucky Kernel flour. I don't like heavy breading and I just wet the fish with barley pop and roll it in the flour and deep fry it. YUMMMMMY

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2004, 03:57 PM »
well what do you know grumpys a fellow kornflake man  ;D
tight lines, chuck

Bean

• MFF Mod Team
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2004, 06:09 PM »
Someone told me to use crushed "Vinegar and Salt" potato chips. Put your fillets in an egg wash mixture(egg and milk), then put them in the crushed chips. Put it in the frying pan like normal.  I still have some frozen panfish fillets that I will be trying this with shortly.
Ken A.

seaweed01

« Reply #8 on: Mar 20, 2004, 11:33 AM »
You still can't beat equal parts flour and Italian bread crumbs Dip
fish in milk first then flour/crumbs mix.

wny angler

« Reply #9 on: Mar 20, 2004, 06:57 PM »
 for walleyes and perch i use a 50/50 mix of ritz crackers and club crackers and fry e'm up in the pan with a little oil   ;D

broken rod

• CPR
« Reply #10 on: Mar 20, 2004, 07:31 PM »
thats it im going walleye fishing in the morning that looks good ;D
tight lines, chuck

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #11 on: Mar 21, 2004, 09:55 AM »
I tried my brother's (Fatboy) recipe using egg then rolling fillets in italian breadcrumbs and it worked well.

It's windy as heck today and I'm not fishing.  I'm going to try these breading ideas on some walleye today in a taste test.  I'll let ya know who won!  ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #12 on: Mar 21, 2004, 03:02 PM »
darn near ate the monitor when i saw that tasty looking filet.. ;D ;D  have tried numerous different kinds of crushed potatoe chips, and found that unless they are eaten fresh out of the deepfryer, they are quite oily. you already have the fat content from the chips which compounds it.. but....darn tasty if you're not worried about cholesterol... ;D ;D ;D grump......cornflake crumbs rule.

Otter

• Retired MFF Mod
  • The river is mine
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2004, 04:33 PM »
Results of the walleye fry-a-thon:

Competitors:
1.  Crushed corn flakes
2.  Crushed salt and vinegar potatoe chips
3.  Corn meal & pancake flour (equal portions)
4.  Flour & italian bread crumbs (equal portions)
5.  Italian bread crumbs
6.  Combination of everything

Individual winners:  Tie between the crushed corn flakes and italian bread crumbs.
Total winner:  Combination.  It had awesome taste a cool look.

Note:  I thought I had Ritz crackers, but we didn't have any so they weren't included in the competition.  I'll have to try them some other time.  All the walleye nuggets were very tasty!  All recipes were definitely worthy. 

timber45

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23, 2004, 12:39 PM »
Mix up 1 part flour, 1 part bred or cracker crumbs, and 1 part parmisan cheese, season with a paprika, garlic powder, parsley flakes, and salt an peper.  Roll in straight flour first then in egg wash then in this mixture.  drop in 1/2 inch of hot peanut oil.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.