MyFishFinder By Species > Salmon

One salmon rig for Lake Ontario...

(1/2) > >>

TheDL:
I've never salmon fished in my life, and I have an opportunity to head out on the big lake O this summer to try for some salmon around Main Duck island with a buddy.  I picked up a 8'6" med-heavy rod and penn line counter level wind reel. I got it spooled up with 20lb berkley big game, and now I'm lost.  I don't think we've got down-riggers so I might pick up a dipsy or a jet-diver?  I've read about flasher/dodgers, plugs and spoons, sewing bait?  I'm not going to blow the wallet out on the first trip, so I'm wondering for mid-june-july what's your 1st pick for technique/lure combination for salmon in Lake Ontario?  ???

TheDL:
109 views and no tips?  come on guys, throw me a bone here  ???

Looks like we'll be going mid-july, over night trip to main duck island on Lake O.  We will not have down riggers, so I'm going to get either a dipsy or a jet diver to control depth. 

what bait/lures are good for that area/time of year?  ???

spcantwell:
look at using some 8" echip green/glow flashers or green/glow spin doctors and use some A-tomik flies tied behind them.   monkey puke. green glow, green krinkle, etc...  biggest thing is finding the temp and getting your spread down into it.

bluemountainlaker:
downriggers would be your best bet! but a leadcore would work or a copper line. leadcore is going to be your cheapist way of getting down to them. with a dispy diver you will need a special rod with wire line.

Rickl1968:
Hey DL

I found a few videos on how to rig Dipsy Divers, hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCYmtIXLsWM

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version