FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Pleasant but Puzzling  (Read 1152 times)

bogtrotter

Pleasant but Puzzling
« on: Jun 30, 2019, 07:22 PM »
It's Free Fishing Day in New York, so after lunch I headed west to try my luck.

It was raining on the drive over, but had cleared up by the time i arrived in Petersburg, where I fished for an hour on the Little Hoosick, and landed three rainbows (one 9", one 11" and one 12"),

Then I headed further west on Route 2, where I fished the Quackenkill in Cropseyville (gotta love the names), but didn't have any hits.

(The Quackenkill has produced brookies for me in past years, but has been unproductive the last two or three years).

Other than a couple brief sprinkles, it was generally nice weather, with a light breeze and temps about 72 degrees.

Stream levels were generally good - - just a tad on the high side. The Little Hoosick was a milky white color, while the Quackenkill had a cafe au lait cast to it.

I back tracked a bit and took Route 22 North and then Route 7 East to Hoosick Falls, where I fished the Hoosic River by the St. Gobain plant.

There's a fairly nice hole there, and the action was pretty good - - I reeled in a total of seven rainbows, all in the 9" to 11" range.

The odd thing was the size of the fish - - in my experience, it's unusual for stocked trout (particularly rainbows) to be so small. Not complaining, mind you, just puzzled.

lowaccord66

Re: Pleasant but Puzzling
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30, 2019, 09:44 PM »
Sounds like you hammered them pretty well!  No idea regarding the bows.

taxid

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30, 2019, 10:53 PM »
Could have been excess fish.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

westernmas

« Reply #3 on: Jul 01, 2019, 10:52 AM »
I think you are used to the rainbows MA tends to stock.  From my experience, MA tends to stock much bigger fish, possibly because they think of them as put and take so they make nice meals.  Other states seem to stock them from 8 inches and up.
AKA-PMaloney86 on the shanty
AKA-westernm@$$hole prior to a mod change
Instagram @Patsquatch413

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #4 on: Jul 01, 2019, 09:01 PM »
Nice work. Hoosic is polluted, NY only stocks a token few dinks in there. Those other two creeks are not stocked.  Keep those thermometers handy, some streams are going to be going out of temp by the weekend. 

lowaccord66

« Reply #5 on: Jul 01, 2019, 09:02 PM »
Hoosic is polluted, NY only stocks a token few dinks in there.  Keep those thermometers handy, some streams are going to be going out of temp by the weekend.

You may know a thing or too about the hoosic. 

taxid

« Reply #6 on: Jul 01, 2019, 09:04 PM »
Yep it appears both Mass and southern Maine plant large trout where holdover is not a given? Interesting thing is in some others states like PA, if holdover is warranted, and survival is good, much smaller trout are planted.

I found something interesting the first year I hatched my own trout and planted them into the pond at only 4 or 5 inches. They immediately went after the midges and the insects on the water like wild fish. My larger pellet feed fish won't even go after a minnow or nitecrawler but go bonkers over pellets.  I would think when planting those larger fish that have been on pellet a couple of years they would be less likely to adapt to natural feed.

That said the larger fish probably will eat just about anything once they aren't feed on a regular basis, as in the at the hatchery, but I still think those smaller fish are able to adapt better.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

bigredfishing

• Screw the BS, let's go fishing.
« Reply #7 on: Jul 01, 2019, 09:14 PM »
You may know a thing or too about the hoosic.

;D spent just a *few* hours there

lowaccord66

« Reply #8 on: Jul 02, 2019, 11:01 AM »
;D spent just a *few* hours there

Haha!  As I mentioned on the phone I enjoyed the mass stretch when I last fished it with Bogtrotter.  Its very shady so I don't know that water temps will be an issue for a bit.  There were some good fish hidden in that dirty water!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.