FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Battery reccomendations  (Read 7870 times)

TPB

• bad day of fishing beats any day at work
Battery reccomendations
« on: Jul 08, 2012, 04:45 PM »
I think it is time to replace the batteries for the trolling motor.  I would like to go to something a little smaller than what I have right now but would still like to be able to get a descent number of hours out of it as my boat does not charge the batteries when the gas job is running.  The set up right now is 2 batteries (NAPA brand deep cycle about 12"x6.5"x9" high, 650CCA) connected in parralell.  I also run the fish finder, radio and lights off of these batteries and the starting battery is completly seperate and only for starting the motor.  Trolling motor is a Minn Kota Powerdrive V2, 55 Lb thrust @ 12v, and the boat is a fiberglass 14.5' with a 50 Hp.  Between the batteries and gas tank it gets a little back heavy.  Any recommendation on a set up that may work for me?  Should I didtch the 2 batteries in favor of a larger one?  Or go to 2 smaller ones but still connected in parrell?  Brand recommendation?  Thanks guys.
It's easier to beg forgiveness that to get permission

kappy

Re: Battery reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2012, 09:20 AM »
why do you have 2 batteries in parallel  when you have a 12v trolling motor, not needed, if it is 24v  then you have the correct set up.

you only need 2 batteries total
run your lights, fish finder and radio off the main battery, you start your boat with, this battery will stay charged as you run the main, with the alternator.

have one battery for your trolling motor that's it. 12v  what is nice to have also, is an on-board charger, just plug it in when you get home. or dock.. I run a 55 lb thrust trolling motor on one 12v battery, and everything else off the main.. charge it overnight   I can troll for 6 hours easy on one charge  make sure you get a good marine battery  if you are going to buy any.

not wise to run all your auxiliary equipment off a battery that is not charging right?

TPB

• bad day of fishing beats any day at work
« Reply #2 on: Jun 19, 2013, 04:54 AM »
2 batteries in parralel still gives you 12v, have to hook them in series for 24.
It's easier to beg forgiveness that to get permission

stripernut

« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2013, 06:21 AM »
Despite what battery marketing depts say, with quality being equal in lead acid batteries, weight equals Amps. Did you get the "hours" on the water that you needed with the two batteries that you have, when they where new? What "Group" size where they? If you could run two days of fishing on one charge they you can get away with one larger battery, if you are running out of juice (when the batteries where new) then you will need more amps.
As to brands, Trojon is as good as it gets. Make sure they are Deep cycle.
Standard Lead Acid is still the best value for the life of the battery, AGMs are great if you need to beat on them (pounding) or need to mount them on their side, but again the physics of lead acid batteries, you will not get more amps for the same size.
A good choice is to go with a On-Board  charger that is a "Stepped" charger, I was the Customer Service Manger for years for ProMariner so I would suggest one of theirs!

eyedoktr

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2013, 09:01 PM »
For your set up, I would have a minimum of 3 batteries in the boat. One cranking and two group 27 or 29 deep cycle. One deep cycle for the trolling motor and one for fish finder, radio, and lights.
Pete Lewis

Jethro

• I fish, therefore I am... always buying gear
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2013, 01:24 PM »
Interstate Batteries have lasted well for me. Not the cheapest, not the most expensive, but WAY better than the WalMart EverStarts I used to buy.

Mac Attack

« Reply #6 on: Jul 21, 2015, 08:01 PM »
Just bought 2 new Interstate series 29's for my Terrova i-pilot bow mount.
The originals were series 24's and never gave me enough life.
So I went clear past the 27's to 29's.

Slightly less than $235 for both including tax.

Can't wait to try them out this weekend on the Lund.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.