FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: walleye location  (Read 3048 times)

TroutFishingBear

walleye location
« on: Apr 04, 2004, 07:19 PM »
Although I have had a lot of luck off of deep dams (rocky) I am now getting to where I am enjoying shallow flats more. If you are fishing from shore, what is your favorite location/ type of spot to fish for walleye.

note: I also like coves a lot too, even small shallow coves, I always seem to get a few.

I'm meaning lake location, not rivers.

grumpymoe

Re: walleye location
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2004, 03:49 PM »
in early june, i prefer 5-8"' maximum for walleye...this is often overlooked by alot of guides and anglers that fish known waters...guides mostly ignore this for one reason.....snags and proximity to shoreline where anglers tend to hook up on longer than planned casts..also, weedbeds....forage will keep to warmer waters for longer periods in early summer...you may not get as many fish as you would in deeper water, but you will find more hawgs than normal..small coves and bays with good rocky/rubble points out of the prevailing winds, will also hold loads of walleye...the myth that the windblown shores will hold alot of fish, is just that..try the real quiet spots on windier days....husky jerks, raps, jointed, and taildancers produce very well....lol  grump

grumpymoe

« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2004, 04:50 PM »
slipbob....bad choice of words...should not have included myth...windblown shorelines do hold fish....i said "alot"...i've found that quiet spots just immediately out of the windblown spots, hold numerous fish that are often overlooked...and in quantity...fished several spots last summer in 70kmh and up winds....impossible to hold the boat with the trolling motor maxed...can get pretty dicey bouncing around bolders, and rocky rubble....we did catch fish, but the best spots were in fact in quieter spots...just the time of month, day, whatever...check it out....grump

Mackdaddy21

« Reply #3 on: Apr 29, 2004, 05:19 PM »
Walleyes love flats, especially those with gravel and patches of sand or larger rocks. In the spring, look for walleyes on flats in the Northwestern part of the lake. These get more sun in the day and warm up faster, and also as the sun gets lower throughout the day, they get less sun, and walleyes love areas without sunlight.
In the fall, flats in the southwestern part of the lake produce. When walleyes are on the flats, nothing in my mind ouproduces a lipless crankbait. If the fish fail to respond to this, which isn't common, try a crawler, minnow, or leech under a slipbobber.
During the summers, walleyes will by consequence be found deeper. Rocky dams and areas near rip rap are the best, and fish for them in deeper water. Trolling crankbaits or crawler harnesses work well, and when fish concentrations are found, jigging twistertails is pure walleye poison.

Tyler

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.