FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Rigs for Trolling???  (Read 4753 times)

Thor

Rigs for Trolling???
« on: Apr 14, 2010, 10:47 PM »
I bought a small, used v-hull utility last year, and I'd like to try my hand at catching some walleyes.  I've been reading what I can about different techniques, but I'm kind of stumped with what is probably a pretty basic question.

What is the difference between fishing bottom bouncers, three-way rigs and Lindy-style rigs?  I know the terminal tackle is a bit different, but when would one of these techniques be used over another, or do they basically do the same thing and are a matter of personal preference?

Any help is appreciated.

jjflyrod

Re: Rigs for Trolling???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17, 2010, 07:49 AM »
A bottom bouncer is a thin wire with a lead weight molded onto it about half way down.  There is another wire that runs approx 90 deg from that onto which you tie your rig (spinner, lure, etc.).  They're used for drifting or trolling.  As you move, you'll feel the wire hitting the bottom so you'll know you're into the rocks.  Disadvantage is that, if the wire is 10" long, you're spinner will be about 10" off the bottom, depending on shape.
A three-way is a type of swivel that has three rings on it.  On one ring you tie your mainline which goes to the rod.  The other ring has a long leader (4' or more) that you tie your spinner, & the third ring you tie a lighter leader with your sinker (I like a pencil sinker).  Used for trolling or drifting.  Advantages: the sinker leader can be any length so you can make adjustments as to how far off bottom you want to be, the sinker leader is lighter so if you snag, only the sinker breaks.
The Lindy rig is a slip sinker rig & you thread the main line thru the eye of a sinker.  Then tie on your leader with hook.  On the hook fish a jig or live bait.  It's made to present leeches & other live bait without any friction so if a fish takes it, you open the bail, feed the line out & the fish can run without feeling any resistance.
My personal preference is the three-way if fish are spread out.  You can cover a lot of territory trolling, change blades quickly (I use a plastic clevis), & tie up lost sinkers easily...good luck..jj   
so many fish, so little time

Thor

« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2010, 08:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Good stuff.  I think I have the necessary equipment to try the three-way and Lindy rigs.  I don't have bottom bouncers, and so I'll have to pick up a few to try.  I've been mainly a trout fisherman most of my life, but I'm looking to change things up a bit.

Monarch8x8

« Reply #3 on: Apr 12, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Thanks for the advice.  Good stuff.  I think I have the necessary equipment to try the three-way and Lindy rigs.  I don't have bottom bouncers, and so I'll have to pick up a few to try.  I've been mainly a trout fisherman most of my life, but I'm looking to change things up a bit.

If you are used to trout trolling, slow WAY down for eyes.  Drop the bouncer and wormharness beside the boat and slow down until the blade on the harness is just flipping over.  Then let 'er go to the bottom and continue letting out line and walking it back with tension on your line until you are well behind the boat.  The bouncer will just tickle the bottom- and that's were you want it.  A bite will hit hard or just stop your line.  Don't jerk set the hook, just pull forward to get the hook set, the boat is already doing half the work. Good luck.

nic

« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2011, 12:11 AM »
i like btm bncers but then again i live in MT! i do well w/no problems

TheDL

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 11:48 AM »
The Lindy rig is a slip sinker rig & you thread the main line thru the eye of a sinker.  Then tie on your leader with hook.  On the hook fish a jig or live bait.  It's made to present leeches & other live bait without any friction so if a fish takes it, you open the bail, feed the line out & the fish can run without feeling any resistance.
Ok - so I got some new tackle and I'll be tying up some worm harnesses, etc tonite.  I will be trying them out this weekend for the walleye opener, and I'm a little confused by how to use the Lindy rig.  Why would you open you bail and let it run, shouldn't I set the hook on bite?
Any tips on this type of fishing, or tying up harnesses/spin-blades/beads would be greatly appreciated
tight lines....

nic

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 10:42 PM »
Ok - so I got some new tackle and I'll be tying up some worm harnesses, etc tonite.  I will be trying them out this weekend for the walleye opener, and I'm a little confused by how to use the Lindy rig.  Why would you open you bail and let it run, shouldn't I set the hook on bite?
Any tips on this type of fishing, or tying up harnesses/spin-blades/beads would be greatly appreciated
open the bail to let the weight to btm and the eye doesnt feel any resistance and can run w/and eat the bait! sometimes i just drop the rod tip towards the fish and give it to em! should check out some dvds w/say the man Al linder!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.