FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: Cutbait and walleye  (Read 3630 times)

slipperybob

Cutbait and walleye
« on: Jul 04, 2010, 07:42 AM »
Not something that I would specifically use to target walleyes but here and there I catch them while rigged for a catfish.  Usually in the case of fall fishing I tend to get walleyes on cutbait more frequently. 

Here in the first weekend of July, I catch one in the middle of the night on a catfishing stake.  It wasn't until well into morning that I saw a snelled line coming from the mouth of this fish.  Looking at the end of the line was a swivel.  Thinking to myself, how familiar it looked like the swivel on my slip bobber last weekend that I lost to a fish that snagged the sinker into some rocks.  Looked into it's mouth and saw a gut hooked line thinking to myself why anyone would release a gut hooked fish with about two feet of line with swivel attached to end of it.  After I removed the hook and saw that it was a hook that matched the exact rig on my lost slip bobber, I knew it right away, it was me.  The fish that took my slip bobber in the middle of the night on a cutbait last week was the very same walleye that took my cutbait this week.  What are the chances of this happening?  Very slim, but at least I recovered part of my lost terminal tackle and the bonus fish that did it.  ;D

Slip bobber fishing and ice lounger.

Slipperybob's Wish to Fish and MN Dish...Journal

BBK

Re: Cutbait and walleye
« Reply #1 on: Aug 10, 2010, 08:25 PM »
Wouldnt say its that slim. He tasted it once and it tasted good, so when the opportunity came again he took it. Same area, same bait.. wouldnt say its that slim.

I know a few people that jig strips of shad or bluegill on a jig head for walleye.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.