FishUSA.com Fishing Tackle

Author Topic: bottom bouncers or three way rigs  (Read 14144 times)

mschma000

Re: bottom bouncers or three way rigs
« Reply #15 on: Jun 16, 2012, 10:16 AM »
Do you guys use floats on your harnesses, when you use a bottom bouncer?

LittleBay

« Reply #16 on: Jun 16, 2012, 11:33 AM »
Do you guys use floats on your harnesses, when you use a bottom bouncer?

I use either a northland screwball, northland rubber floating jig or slow death.

Skipper

• MFF Mod Team
  • Fish for uglies!
« Reply #17 on: Jun 16, 2012, 12:05 PM »
Snaggy crap = Bottom bouncer

Not so snaggy crap = Walking sinker AKA Lindy Rig

Not snaggy at all and you want it 24'' off the bottom = 3 way rig

The mistake that gets most people hung up with these three methods is either using too heavy of a weight or working it too slow. The bouncer should bounce, not drag. If it tips over from going to slow or using too big of a weight, it becomes a snag monster. Same with lindys and 3ways, they should be skipping and banging on the bottom, not dragging.

There are HUGE advantages to dialing in your weight to your speed! First and most obvious, you will snag much less. Second, you will be able to use faster and lighter rods and lighter line because it will pull MUCH easier. Third, you will get vertical and horizontal action added to your rig. The sinker/bouncer going up and down and side to side will not happen if the sinker is killing it in the lake bottom.

I made some bouncers out of a coat hanger that had an 16'' leg once. They got it up like a three way and didn't snag.. They won't fit in a tackle box though. ;D

LittleBay

« Reply #18 on: Jun 16, 2012, 06:42 PM »
Snaggy crap = Bottom bouncer

Not so snaggy crap = Walking sinker AKA Lindy Rig

Not snaggy at all and you want it 24'' off the bottom = 3 way rig

The mistake that gets most people hung up with these three methods is either using too heavy of a weight or working it too slow. The bouncer should bounce, not drag. If it tips over from going to slow or using too big of a weight, it becomes a snag monster. Same with lindys and 3ways, they should be skipping and banging on the bottom, not dragging.

There are HUGE advantages to dialing in your weight to your speed! First and most obvious, you will snag much less. Second, you will be able to use faster and lighter rods and lighter line because it will pull MUCH easier. Third, you will get vertical and horizontal action added to your rig. The sinker/bouncer going up and down and side to side will not happen if the sinker is killing it in the lake bottom.

I made some bouncers out of a coat hanger that had an 16'' leg once. They got it up like a three way and didn't snag.. They won't fit in a tackle box though. ;D

great detailed explanation on the proper use of bottom bouncers skipper!

Big Burk

« Reply #19 on: Jun 23, 2012, 10:13 AM »
I fish rocks and weed beds with bottom bouncers and since I have properly learned how to use them I never get snagged. If you have to heavy of a bottom bouncer and are going too slow for the ammount of weight used. Having a large selection of bottom bouncers and a gps on the boat to track your speed you should have no issues with bottom bouncers.

MBrown4

« Reply #20 on: Sep 09, 2012, 11:19 AM »
cant seem to hook up on bb's but the 3 way has been deadly. i dont know if im running too close to the bouncer er what

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Sponsor
© 2004- MyFishFinder.com
All Rights Reserved.